Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 04:12 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6
I'm wondering if the best thing to do isn't to pick a cheaper mattress and just replace it more often.
I think the BEST THING to do is try and keep whats you have AS LONG AS YOU CAN!!

I wish i had taken BETTER CARE of stuff I had 20+ years ago,its MUCH BETTER than most anything made now! (Clothes,Mattresses,etc)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 09:40 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I think the BEST THING to do is try and keep whats you have AS LONG AS YOU CAN!!

I wish i had taken BETTER CARE of stuff I had 20+ years ago,its MUCH BETTER than most anything made now! (Clothes,Mattresses,etc)
Well yeah. But that doesn't change the circumstances. At this point in time I need a new mattress. No question about it.

Just throwing out numbers, does it make more sense to say buy a $1,400 mattress or buy a $700 mattress with the thought of buying a replacement $700 mattress down the line.

My assumption would be that in the beginning of the life expectancy of the mattress the more expensive one would be better. Towards the back end of the life expectancy the more expensive one might be starting to decline as opposed to the second replacement mattress.

But honestly I don't know if that is true.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:31 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Buy a very firm mattress and then buy a topper to add the "plush" feeling to it if you so desire. The mattress will last a lot longer if it's firm. Then when your topper goes bad (sinks, is no longer plush) it's relatively cheap to replace compared to buying a new mattress.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:55 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
have you ever stayed at a Marriott Hotel? They have the greatest mattresses, and they have a small catalogue that you can order one of their mattresses from. That's the way to go!
Yes, if you want to pay about twice what a similar mattress is worth.

Over the years, Marriott has been sued by its FRANCHISEES for overcharging them for towels, linens, bedding and other supplies.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek
Buy a very firm mattress and then buy a topper to add the "plush" feeling to it if you so desire.
Or put it on THE FLOOR and stomp on it like crazy until it softens up and hope it will be like an older GOOD mattress

Old 05-30-2012, 05:31 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
My wife and I have decided to spend a bit more this time than we normally do on a good mattress. However finding a good mattress is not easy.

I've been reading over old mattress threads on here for hours and they have helped but I wanted to post my personal mattress journey.

I found it's impossible to comparative shop because each store gets a different "name" for the different mattress for each manufacturer.

I am just beyond overwhelmed with coil counts, firmness, pillowtops, latex, foam, etc... I am pretty much certain I do not want an entirely foam mattress because I sleep very hot and live where it is pretty hot year round. I hear latex is good for hot sleepers. So now I have no idea where to look. I look online but again, it's impossible to compare. I found a 1256 coil count at an online reputable retailer and it's like $1500 and something with that coil count is over $3000 at my local mattress shop.

Then I heard about the W hotel bed. I've never stayed in the w hotel but they sell their bed online and it's normally like 1600 and I found a 35% off coupon. You can buy it with or without pillowtop. I've read that pillowtops degrade faster and I should just buy my own pillowtop and get a firmer mattress.

I know this is a jumble of information but I'm just overwhelmed. Can anyone offer any insight before I go crazy over selecting a mattress?
We have had a Sleep Number bed for 7 years and love every minute of sleep.

My wife has he number, and I have mine.

I have no doubt that this bed will last another 15 years!

Old 06-30-2012, 06:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,814 times
Sleep to live should be renamed 'dying to sleep'we paid $6000 for a mattress chosen for us by a computer system which the retailer[snooze]convinced us was the best qualified by science to make an objective choice to give us a good nights sleep..its a con.what we have is a mattress that smells,has a hump and a slant and causes back and neck pain.it seems 'sleep to live''mysleep'and 'kingsdown'are all one and the same.they will not give us a refund rendering the assurance of a fantastic warranty nonsence and we cant get answers as to what the mattress is made of or even definitions of wording of the warranty.its a shocker and it seems from viewing the net this way of doing business is standard.suppose we were stupid beleiving the sharpie at snooze that a computer could make the selection so next time you hear snooze say they '...take the guesswork out of buying a mattress'dont beleive it!

Old 06-30-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale
We have had a Sleep Number bed for 7 years and love every minute of sleep.
I had one of those and EVERY MORNING MY LEGS ACHED LIKE CRAZY!!!!!!

Just another piece of crap made today in my opinion!

Old 07-02-2012, 03:24 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie8 View Post
Sleep to live should be renamed 'dying to sleep'we paid $6000 for a mattress chosen for us by a computer system which the retailer[snooze]convinced us was the best qualified by science to make an objective choice to give us a good nights sleep..its a con.what we have is a mattress that smells,has a hump and a slant and causes back and neck pain.it seems 'sleep to live''mysleep'and 'kingsdown'are all one and the same.they will not give us a refund rendering the assurance of a fantastic warranty nonsence and we cant get answers as to what the mattress is made of or even definitions of wording of the warranty.its a shocker and it seems from viewing the net this way of doing business is standard.suppose we were stupid beleiving the sharpie at snooze that a computer could make the selection so next time you hear snooze say they '...take the guesswork out of buying a mattress'dont beleive it!
If you have a state Ombudsman or, if not the state Attorney General, send them an email explaining what you've posted here. Sounds illegal to me. I've done something similar with another issue and it was investigated and I got a refund. If that fails if you have some local news show that handles complaints about local businesses. I would definitely pursue these people.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:27 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I had one of those and EVERY MORNING MY LEGS ACHED LIKE CRAZY!!!!!!

Just another piece of crap made today in my opinion!

Then why did you buy it? Or was it another case of your father buying something without listening to you?

If your legs hurt every morning, something else is going on besides your mattress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products