Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 01:11 PM

22,556 posts, read 47,614,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Taco64 View Post
A simple "No thank you" works just fine for me.....
For me also!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 01:12 PM

22,556 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

If you make minimum wage or are simply miserly and don't like charity, you can always say "No." If you are a cheap bastard, I think you should be more thick-skinned when the cashier gives you the stink-eye.
I say no because I prefer to choose my OWN charities.

Has NOTHING to do with minimum wage, miserly or disliking charity!

Old 02-25-2012, 07:52 AM

45,319 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Safeway here does it for various charities, Walk for Life, Prostate Cancer, the local food pantry. I don't get offended and am glad the 12 or 15 cents isn't enough to bankrupt me.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:08 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
You can say no politely or shop somewhere else. It's pretty simple.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:42 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
On their website I got: 'While the exact amount varies from year to year, we are committed to giving at least five percent of our annual net profits to charitable causes.'
If the customers are making the donation, it isn't the same as a corporate donation.

I don't mind rounding up, as it's really just a small amount of change. Here it is requested for food banks and disaster relief.

It does get tiring being asked to make a donation for a different cause every single week at the check-out though. I've bought countless pink ribbon and sneaker cards. I'll give when I want, and decline when I don't.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I like to more direct my chratibale giiving. So I say ;no thank and never had a problem.I realise the clerk is doig what he/she is told to and appreciate some may actually do they chartible giivigthis way.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:46 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times
Thanks for the thoughts on this issue. I agree with the posters that have designated their charitable contributions to organizations directly, as I have, and I limit my donations directly to those charities. I'm also not sure how much of the rounded up "change" or bag refund actually ends up going to the charity, what %. Does the store take a %? All these requests for donations is certainly becoming more commonplace these days, not just at Whole Foods. Stores should clearly post the names of the "charity of the week" and post what % of the cash collected goes to the charity and what % the store or others skim off. Some of the cashiers I've encountered don't even tell customers which charity the donation is for. Thanks again for the comments.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:55 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Our local Shop Rite supermarket has coupons for contributing to our state food bank at each check out. They are there to see and the clerks make no mention of it.

The store donates food to our totally volunteer church food bank and meals on wheels. The store also gives store credit coupons to the pastor to hand out to those going through hard times.

There is no skimming going on here. I know the people in charge.

I really doubt that a pet store would skim, neither do I think WF would because they give separately on their own, over and above the checkout donations.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:00 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
What I resent is being hit up by panhandlers three times per block. The few times per week that I buy groceries? No big deal.

If you make minimum wage or are simply miserly and don't like charity, you can always say "No." If you are a cheap bastard, I think you should be more thick-skinned when the cashier gives you the stink-eye.
Well said!

Old 02-28-2012, 06:49 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I say no because I prefer to choose my OWN charities.

Has NOTHING to do with minimum wage, miserly or disliking charity!

There are enough good charities and organizations to give to that I do not need the advice of a retail chain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products