Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 02:42 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times

Advertisements

I went to Whole Foods today, for one item that I can't get elsewhere, organic bulk carrots. And I ended up getting some bulk black beans on sale. Otherwise I avoid WF. Is anyone else annoyed when the WF cashiers continually ask if customers want to "round up and donate their change" or "donate their 10 cent bag credit"? Here is a very expensive store that has to nickel and dime customers, literally. I always decline, but then the cashier suddenly loses her "smile" and friendly manner. Bad customer service all around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 04:20 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
On their website I got: 'While the exact amount varies from year to year, we are committed to giving at least five percent of our annual net profits to charitable causes.'

My husband does not recollect if they asked him this question. What is that donation for? A local charity? You know, if every customer gave just a little, it would really add up and I think it's a great way to collect for some good cause.

Whole Foods has had their problems, but they are known for caring for the community. I would have no problem with it.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:44 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I went to Whole Foods today, for one item that I can't get elsewhere, organic bulk carrots. And I ended up getting some bulk black beans on sale. Otherwise I avoid WF. Is anyone else annoyed when the WF cashiers continually ask if customers want to "round up and donate their change" or "donate their 10 cent bag credit"? Here is a very expensive store that has to nickel and dime customers, literally. I always decline, but then the cashier suddenly loses her "smile" and friendly manner. Bad customer service all around.
I was a cashier at a grocery in HS, and they did the same thing that Whole Foods did. I didn't like doing it but it was my duty. A couple of customers got all defensive about it but I replied it's my policy and left it at that. I actually got an award ($25 gift card) for the money I raised for breast cancer month. While I didn't particularily like doing it, I do feel good about being able to raise money for Katrina victims and other good causes.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:00 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
They are following Petsmart's lead, except Petsmart only ask the cash paying customers as all others can make their donation decision during their card processing. Petsmart Charaties has raised and distributed a boat load just from these individual small donations.

I look at it a bit different, if I know Whole Foods will be asking about this, if it bothers me, I shop elsewhere. But if I know its going to happen and I still shop there, why would I complain?

Old 02-23-2012, 06:31 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
It must be the new 2012 fad. I've been to a few different retailers and they've asked to donate my change to some charity. I had one retailer ask me twice, and finally on the third time I told him to refund my entire purchase. He didn't know what to say at that point (I did make my purchase as I did need the item). I had another retailer ask me to donate my change, and I asked him to round down my bill to donate the overage back to my pocket. He was stunned. Of course he didn't, but it stopped him from asking. I have my set list of who I donate to and how much per year. I refuse to be guilted into making donations.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:39 PM

812 posts, read 736,259 times
A simple "No thank you" works just fine for me.....

Old 02-24-2012, 03:34 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
It depends on the retail chain doing it. If its a chain that does add-on sales then its built into their mindset (retail training) to ask multiple time. For example think about the last time you were assisted by a salesperson in buying an electronic item the extent they went to sell you an extended warranty.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:09 AM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
It depends on the retail chain doing it. If its a chain that does add-on sales then its built into their mindset (retail training) to ask multiple time. For example think about the last time you were assisted by a salesperson in buying an electronic item the extent they went to sell you an extended warranty.
Best Buy comes to mind and no one really helped me decide which item I was going to purchase. Guess it's just automatic when someone buys a clock radio or some kind of electronic gadget, whether you want to get an extended warranty on that item or not. If I bought the same clock radio at say, Walmart, I'm not really asked. In reference to Best Buy - I don't think I've ever really been asked more than once though per visit whether I wanted to purchase a warranty or not.

I suppose there could be a chance of them asking more than once, if perhaps it was due to a mis-understanding. I don't think I'd like it much if store personnel continuously hounded their customers.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:38 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Taco64 View Post
That's the approach I've always taken. No excuses or explanations, just "no, thank you".

Old 02-24-2012, 12:12 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
What I resent is being hit up by panhandlers three times per block. The few times per week that I buy groceries? No big deal.

If you make minimum wage or are simply miserly and don't like charity, you can always say "No." If you are a cheap Moderator cut: language removed , I think you should be more thick-skinned when the cashier gives you the stink-eye.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 03-06-2012 at 06:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products