U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2012, 12:08 PM

2 posts, read 1,708 times

Advertisements

I recently post a sale on craigslist to sell our company's used machine. I got two or three response asking my paypal account info., and telling me they will buy my machine. First time, I provided my paypal info., and the guy requested then disappeared. So since then i guess some people are using Paypal for playing game for somewhat purpose.

Anyone is acknowledging with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 01:20 PM

12,587 posts, read 11,174,662 times
What paypal info did you provide? They can't do much with just your email besides to try and guess your password.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:43 AM

23 posts, read 17,738 times
Perhaps he wanted to check to see if you have a Verified Paypal account. In any event, you should never give out your paypal password - EVER! I guess giving him your email address isn't too, bad. Like the previous poster said, the most he could do with it is try to guess your password. I would click the "forgot password" link in Paypal just to see what would happen if he tried to use it to reset your password. I would imagine even if he did attempt to use the "forgot password" link, he would have to verify some type of personal information about you. If him having your email address bothers you, you can change your email address just to be on the safe side. If you gave him your password, I would definately change both your email address and password ASAP to be on the safe side.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:05 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,016,339 times
There's a few PayPal / Craigslist scams out there. Mostly involving used cars. But if this "machine" that you're selling is high dollar, it could apply.

Basically they either:
1) Supply you with a link to check the funds, which of course takes you to a fake PP website where you enter your PayPal login information.

2) Tell you that the PayPal payment isn't going through and offer to send a (fake) money order instead.

If you just gave them your email address for payment, that's all they have and it shouldn't be an issue. But watch for follow up emails, and be careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products