Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 02:15 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,644,687 times

Advertisements

I shop at Target for a bunch of reasons:

1. It is the only major general merchandise retailer besides Walmart in my area. We have some in town small local retailers and we have the Target and WalMart aways along the highway, not many choices.

2. I know the secrets of merchandising for these major retailers and their vendors, so I know how to read the package to determine which item is the better deal (as opposed to cheaper, cheap and better deal isn;t the same thing), and I find that Target usually has the better deal over WalMart.

3. I have absolutely no issue paying more at a brick and morter store that emplyes dozens of LOCAL people that pay taxes to the LOCAL economy and contributes to the LOCAL community. So if paying a bit more at Target over buying it online at Amazon, Target will be my choice as the return to the community counts in my book.

4. lets face it, I;m not poor so I have no need to really watch the prices. Spending an extra $100 a week on items if it was easier and more enjoyable isn;t going to cause me any pains. Since I don;t mind shoppping at Target because their store is clean, open and bright... Theiur employees are hands down better than the other store.... and I find they have things that are just interesting to browse through. Its not that they have piles of cheap stuff, they have interesting things (I call it the Pier 1 experince where you just find something odd enough to make shopping interesting).

5. I'm sorry folks but there is something wrong with being in a store where I think i just died and gone to Halter Top Flab Flowing Hell!!!!! I have actually been grossed out by what i see in Walmart. There is just this thing about being around disguesting people and Walmsrt seems to attract them. I don;t feel i need to go through a decontamination shower after shopping at Target.

6. I like the girl on register 12!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 02:20 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,142,597 times
Sometimes. It's closer than Wal-Mart by 15 miles, airier, cleaner, brighter, smells better and just feels less "industrial" in general.

Of course, whenever possible, I prefer to shop at Fred Meyer. But if I can't I will go to Target.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:05 PM

254 posts, read 512,253 times
The SuperTarget near me is outstanding. Items are generally in stock, produce appears to be fresh, store associates are helpful, the selection of items is large (because the store is huge, regular Targets in my areas are much smaller though) the store is clean with wide aisles...it is everything that WalMart is not. However, I have not been to a WalMart in about 5 years and I'm very happy about that, as I rarely had good shopping experiences there (narrow aisles, crabby employees, low quality merchandise, and the store never looked like it had been cleaned.) Target has some nice household items - I think quality of some items is similar to Kohls (so not outstanding, but not 'throw away after one use') and prices are usually reasonable. Even when the store is very busy, it seems spacious and well designed/easy to navigate and I rarely have to wait too long to checkout (although occsaionally the express lane gets very busy, but I'm not complaining.)

Old 05-18-2012, 11:22 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,815,355 times
Target is the closet big box retailer to me, and that is the only reason I go there. I've never shopped at Target before moving to my city, because they have a limited selection, the quality of the goods is mediorce, and I don't find the prices to be that great. BUT, it is the closet, cleanest, and least crowded big box retailer. I'm willing to make do for general household goods. I don't buy anything else there.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:02 AM

31 posts, read 44,701 times
Target is much easier to navigate, always better staffed, and the clothes selection for myself and my kids is better than wal-mart. Besides I have worked for wal-mart corp before and refuse to support them. the last time i did someone swiped my credit card number and spent 400 bucks on stuff at another store.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:03 AM

31 posts, read 44,701 times
also here, their prices are often better than Wal-mart and they have decent sales.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:51 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,615,399 times
Nope, never shop there. They are gauche, overpriced for the quality, and too far to drive for me.

I prefer to stay local and shop thrift; and they are neither.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:47 PM

22,184 posts, read 14,744,447 times
Saturday at Target (next door to stop@shop) They had a special on Special K cereal

Buy 4 at $2.99 a box and get one free.
5 boxes for $11.96
Take off 5% for my target card and total was $11.36

Had to go next door to stop@shop to get other stuff and saw what they were getting for a box of Special K
$3.99 a box

So I would of paid $19.95 for 5 boxes.
I saved $8.59 by going to Target.

Sometimes you can find good deals there!

Old 05-20-2012, 06:52 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,091,970 times
My Target has a new kind of cart. They are the Ferrari of carts. I love them. I find myself going to Target just because the carts are so freaking awesome.

(And because when it's hot I can get my exercise by circling the ends of the aisles and looking at all the junk on the clearance shelves.)

Old 05-21-2012, 03:46 PM

10 posts, read 10,702 times
Its occasional to buy at target! Always couldn't able to keep the option as Target because some of the items are much more costlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products