Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 09:22 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times

Advertisements

It's really gone downhill. I guess the only advantage to it, is that I'll finally be able to pay off my card. I got some really good deals in the past, especially at the 75% day after XMAS sales, but I guess last year's was my last one. I looked for clearance racks, and saw none. I guess I'll be shopping at Kohls now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 08:13 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
After just eight months, JC Penney (JCP: 21.78, -2.55, -10.48%) said its president, Michael Francis, will be leaving the company, effective immediately.

Read more: J.C. Penney President Francis Resigns | Fox Business

Old 06-19-2012, 08:42 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
After just eight months, JC Penney (JCP: 21.78, -2.55, -10.48%) said its president, Michael Francis, will be leaving the company, effective immediately.

Read more: J.C. Penney President Francis Resigns | Fox Business
Officially calling this a BUST!!

Old 06-19-2012, 07:44 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,375,751 times
Spend more time appealing your customer base with good products at good prices and less time on this nonsense:
JC Penney Raises Ire With Another Gay-Friendly Ad - ABC News

I wonder what kind of golden parachute this
fired president got?
http://www.foxbusiness.com/industrie...#ixzz1yFT7NU5V

Old 06-19-2012, 08:33 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Spend more time appealing your customer base with good products at good prices and less time on this nonsense:
JC Penney Raises Ire With Another Gay-Friendly Ad - ABC News

I wonder what kind of golden parachute this
fired president got?
J.C. Penney President Francis Resigns | Fox Business
The story I'm reading says Francis got a 12 million dollar signing bonus last Oct. Nothing about a parachute deal. He was instrumental in their new marketing policy. Sales for Penney's are down over 18%. Penney's is re-thinking their marketing program to return to what their similiar program was with ads and discount specials etc etc. Consumers are confused and turning away the article says.
Gee, who knew this would be a bust...

Old 06-20-2012, 01:10 AM

491 posts, read 1,170,615 times
"Town Square" boutiques? Please -- if I want Sephora, I'll go farther into the mall and go to the Sephora store (and then I can get my money's worth of the "I'm just working here until I become a big-time model" attitudes some of those Sephora salespeople have!)

I think the new guy is missing an impt fact here: I don't know what he did at Apple, but marketing is simple when you have a good product. iPods, iPhones, laptops/monitors, iPads -- I love my iPod and laptop. They are well-thought-out tech advances that were worth my time to have earned. They reflect creativity, and they were made well.

JCP's products? Well, thinking of just clothing here, not so much. They're cutting corners ("short-sleeved" shirts are now what used to be "cap-sleeved" shirts), and the quality has absolutely deteriorated over the years (quality control seems to have disappeared -- the same brand/size/color of pants I order one time is far different than the pair I order a month afterward). Not to mention that the styles are leaning more toward "fads" (peasant tops, ladies?). As a conservative dresser still in mid-career, I really counted on JCP for a number of years, but that's pretty much over. (And if JCP's buyers start migrating to Kohls, I will be very PO'd!)

I think JCP is definitely competing with the not-so-expensive chain called H&M, with Target, but it's also trying to lure back the young adults who are going to Aeropostale, Forever 21, etc., at the malls.

I wish it would understand which age demographic really has more disposable income!
And that Quality is Job 1 (sorry, Ford!).

Improve the quality and then maybe I'll wander JCP's little "boutiques"!

Old 07-01-2012, 07:38 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,249 times
Default JC Penney Acquires Monet Jewelry

I was at the mall today, and I noticed that Macy's was no longer carrying Monet jewelry. Later in the afternoon, I noticed that Boscov's (a Philadelphia area department store) wasn't selling Monet either, so I asked the saleswoman about it. She confirmed that the two department stores will no longer be carrying Monet, but said she heard through the grapevine that JC Penney will.

When I got home, I did a little sleuthing online...and found that JC Penney acquired Monet last year:

J.C. Penney Buys Liz Claiborne, Monet - JCK

Old 10-06-2012, 07:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,678 times
Talking the new jcpenney

I am an employee of jcp and have ridden the roller coaster of change. Jcp will become America's favorite store by selling good quality merchandise at great prices. For anyone who hasn't visited lately....GO and see how JCP stands out from the other "hot mess" retailers out there. It's all very exciting and fun.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:43 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,183 times
I used to buy all my sheets, towels, bedding, kids clothes, etc. at JC Penney. The quality has gone down so much I don't even bother anymore. Last bath towels that I bought started to unravel in just a few months.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:04 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanpro66 View Post
I am an employee of jcp and have ridden the roller coaster of change. Jcp will become America's favorite store by selling good quality merchandise at great prices. For anyone who hasn't visited lately....GO and see how JCP stands out from the other "hot mess" retailers out there. It's all very exciting and fun.
I doubt JCP will ever be America's favorite anymore. You can find the same items made by the same overseas plants at Sears, Kohls, Herbergers, Walmart, K-Mart, etal across the country. All the same low quality over priced merchandise that doesn't last very long. And their current merchandising program stinks.
JCP at one time was the top dept store around with great USA made merchandise and great service with people to really help you, not like today where you find the stuff yourself and then go find a service counter to pay for it.
I met JCP and I can tell you right now he's rolling over in his grave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products