Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 12:56 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,422,975 times

Advertisements

All the time, if I can't find it in the store Amazon has it, sometimes cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 05:54 PM

464 posts, read 479,163 times
Love it! Too bad my prime membership expired. I was ordering books every week!

Old 06-24-2012, 10:27 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,686,508 times
I have been buying from Amazon for many years and never had a problem. Recently I received a defective electronic item. (It would not power up). I tried calling and emailing the manufacturer with no success. I then tried going through the Amazon menus in order to exchange the item and, IMO, the menus were not user friendly. I tried to find a phone number but could not. Finally I followed the menus that did not serve my problem and came on one screen where they requested my phone number so they could call me. Sorry, I don't consider this to be a good way to do business. When I want to talk to someone I want to talk to them at that time and not get a call at dinner time. Finally I sent them a email describing my situation. Amazon did respond quickly and provided an answer and solution. I got the return label via email and returned the item. Within days they received the item and my CC was credited very quickly.

The only thing I find I am not happy with at Amazon is no phone number. I know they say they will call back, but at what time, during dinner or business meeting, not the way I like it. Regardless Amazon did make good on the item and they did it in a timely fashion. I will continue to buy from Amazon with the confidence that if I receive a defective item they will make good on it. Outside of that what more could we ask from a retailer. Amazon gets an OK from me.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:35 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,963,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
What state are you in? Only a very few number of states have no sales tax.
If I wanted to share personal information with the public I'd be on Facebook or some other such criminal facilitator.

I think the tax applies if the seller has a retail establishment in the state the goods are shipped to. We are not usually taxed for books, but are for some other things.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:56 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
Oregon does not have a sales tax. I order from Amazon a lot and only get charged for the item I have purchased and shipping.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:17 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I think the tax applies if the seller has a retail establishment in the state the goods are shipped to. We are not usually taxed for books, but are for some other things.
All states other than Delaware and Oregon require sales taxes whether or not there is a retail establishment in the state. If certain items such as books are exempt in retail stores, they are also exempt from online stores. This is what makes Amazon a bit annoying.

In NJ, Amazon does not have a retail establishment, so they don't collect taxes automatically. As a result, I have to keep track of the taxes myself.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:34 PM

491 posts, read 1,170,034 times
Quote:
All states other than Delaware and Oregon require sales taxes whether or not there is a retail establishment in the state. If certain items such as books are exempt in retail stores, they are also exempt from online stores. This is what makes Amazon a bit annoying.

In NJ, Amazon does not have a retail establishment, so they don't collect taxes automatically. As a result, I have to keep track of the taxes myself.

I'm getting a little off-track here, but I'm curious: You're keeping track of the taxes yourself because your state is one of those that send you letters or have legislation that says you are responsible for paying the taxes you would normally pay Amazon, if it had a local retail establishment, to the state? Or because you take a sales tax deduction on your taxes instead of the income tax?

I wonder just how many people are actually paying sales taxes on products they buy from companies out-of-state.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:09 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,963,620 times
Quote:

I do not believe that the law has to do with Amazon's location, but whether Prentice-Hall or St.Martin's Press have a retail presence in the state. So you can be taxed on one book and not on another. This, I believe, is the situation on Kindle books. I cannot recollect, though, ever being taxed on hard copies, but perhaps I am wrong.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:50 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
If I wanted to share personal information with the public I'd be on Facebook or some other such criminal facilitator.

Also think tax applies if the shipping facility it comes from is in your state. Amazon has a lot of its shiiping come from KY and since I live in KY the tax applies on my buys.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:41 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by persnicketygal View Post
I'm getting a little off-track here, but I'm curious: You're keeping track of the taxes yourself because your state is one of those that send you letters or have legislation that says you are responsible for paying the taxes you would normally pay Amazon, if it had a local retail establishment, to the state? Or because you take a sales tax deduction on your taxes instead of the income tax?

I wonder just how many people are actually paying sales taxes on products they buy from companies out-of-state.
Correct, I keep track of my own sales taxes and pay them on my own. My state (NJ) doesn't send me any letters or even know how much I owe. It's completely my responsibility to pay the taxes.

This applies to all states except Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon.

My guess is that a big chunk of people are evading taxes by not paying their fair share of sales taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products