Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 08:52 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,578,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I just don't understand with Walmarts profits why they can't pay a living wage like Costco/Home depot ect...?
SIMPLY put! Because they own the business, and are in business to ( as all business's are ) make a profit. Additionally as it has been shown by the complaints about how crowed some of their stores are ,

THEY DON'T HAVE TO FOR THEM TO STAY IN BUSINESS!

Here in Banning, CA their super store it the Greatest !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 09:04 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,732,593 times
I sank to a low the other day and went to Wal-mart for batteries.

Anyway, the cashier was EXHAUSTED. She hadn't had a break, so when the manager walked past her, she said, "See? No one has relieved me yet." His reponse? He walked quickly past her saying, "And you're not going to be relieved because I have no one to relieve you."

Nice place to work, huh?

Old 06-25-2012, 09:12 AM

833 posts, read 1,713,851 times
At the Walmart store I shop, I always see a large group of employees sitting in a break area outside chatting, smoking, or whatever , as they rotate through their breaks.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:31 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,138,473 times
My biggest problem with Wal-Mart is the label readers. I always thought they could be successfully competed with if someone could basically take 1/2 of the store and dedicate it to the handicapped, diabetics, and folks that stand there and gawk at nutrition facts like there a foriegn language and clog up the isles. The other 1/2 could be devoted to shoppers like me who know what they want before they get there, want to fill up their cart and go...I've got better things to do with my time.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:34 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Town mayor and council agreed not to allow stores like Target and such to open a store in the township in order for Walmart to build a store there. There are two major grocery chains and there are drug stores, but there is no other store within 50 miles that can provide all products under the same roof. This Walmart is not a super walmart. Mayor and council are voted in by the good old boys, family and friends. There is more money going under the table here than in NYC.
Mmmm....yeah, sorry, still not buying it. Major corporations like Target have resources and legal talent to crush small-town "good old boy" shenanigans as you describe it. Even if the agreement occurred exactly as you describe it (which I still doubt), then this clearly illegal arrangement wouldn't be the slightest impediment for some place such as Target coming into town. There may be other barriers to entry or there may just not be enough market share to support two major discount retailers, but a skilled and experienced major corporate legal team could dispatch this dumb little "agreement" without breaking a sweat.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:39 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,688,411 times
If they raise wages, wages in retail secotr around US will be raised. more wages means standard of living as well as money around million of americans family will increase. They will spend more at walmart. walmart sales will increase. more sales means more profit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
If they raise wages, they would lower profits. Take away that heavy profit margin and they will discourage investors. Loss of investors means they need higher proifits. To get higher profits they will need to raise prices, Raise prices and they will no longer be a low price leader. No longer being the low price leader means they loose the leveage over their vendors. Loose that leverage and the cost of goods go up. Cost goes up, profits go down even more. Less profits means having to slash wages.
....the wheels on the bus goes round and round, round and rournd, round and round.......

Old 06-25-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
My biggest problem with Wal-Mart is the label readers. I always thought they could be successfully competed with if someone could basically take 1/2 of the store and dedicate it to the handicapped, diabetics, and folks that stand there and gawk at nutrition facts like there a foriegn language and clog up the isles. The other 1/2 could be devoted to shoppers like me who know what they want before they get there, want to fill up their cart and go...I've got better things to do with my time.
Great Idea ! when are you going to open your store? then you can have it your way , but for the time being just chill out !

Old 06-25-2012, 11:45 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
If they raise wages, they would lower profits. Take away that heavy profit margin and they will discourage investors. Loss of investors means they need higher proifits. To get higher profits they will need to raise prices, Raise prices and they will no longer be a low price leader. No longer being the low price leader means they loose the leveage over their vendors. Loose that leverage and the cost of goods go up. Cost goes up, profits go down even more. Less profits means having to slash wages.
....the wheels on the bus goes round and round, round and rournd, round and round.......
Look up the story of Costco
Costco investors thought the same thing years ago when,The wal-mart model of retailing came into play.
Costco stock is trading Today is trading at $90 a share today
Walmart stock is trading at $67 today

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Walmart isn't the only store that doesn't pay a living wage. How about Target, JCP, Macy's, Kmart, etc. Check what they pay their employees. These days on Craigslist, employers are offering $8-$10 per hour for administrative assistants.
Kmart/Sears and J.C Penny's won't be around in 2 years.
Both these company are in serious financial trouble right now!
As for target They are doing quit well being #2 to wal-mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
SIMPLY put! Because they own the business, and are in business to ( as all business's are ) make a profit. Additionally as it has been shown by the complaints about how crowed some of their stores are ,

THEY DON'T HAVE TO FOR THEM TO STAY IN BUSINESS!

Here in Banning, CA their super store it the Greatest !
You can still make a profit and pay your employee's
But when you're making profits and you can't offer your employees,a liveable wage and decent healthcare then we have a problem
When a 1/3 to 1/2 of your work force is on some sort of public assistants Then I have a problem.
I Don't want my hard earned tax dollars going towards your profits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
If they raise wages, wages in retail secotr around US will be raised. more wages means standard of living as well as money around million of americans family will increase. They will spend more at walmart. walmart sales will increase. more sales means more profit.
Agree!

When my dad's automotive repair business went belly up!(business partner stole money from the business)
He went to work at a Retail place called Fed Mart.
The Owner of Fedmart at the time,Sol Price Belived in paying all of his employees a living wage.
When Sol price was forced out of the company The new company decided to cut payroll.
Fed Mart went under 6 years later.
Sol Price went on to Start a new Business called Price Club

Look At Costco and Home Depot's profits.
Notice how the prices are low at these places and they still make money.
Notice the longevity of some of the workers at these places(20 years ect...)
You can pay your employee's a living wage and still make a profit,it's been proven!

Old 06-25-2012, 12:29 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,732,593 times
So along that same line of thinking, Wal-mart is keeping their employees' wages low as a sacrifice they (Wal-mart) is making to help the U.S.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post

Old 06-25-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Look up the story of Costco
Costco investors thought the same thing years ago when,The wal-mart model of retailing came into play.
Costco stock is trading Today is trading at $90 a share today
Walmart stock is trading at $67 today

Kmart/Sears and J.C Penny's won't be around in 2 years.
Both these company are in serious financial trouble right now!
As for target They are doing quit well being #2 to wal-mart

You can still make a profit and pay your employee's
But when you're making profits and you can't offer your employees,a liveable wage and decent healthcare then we have a problem
When a 1/3 to 1/2 of your work force is on some sort of public assistants Then I have a problem.
I Don't want my hard earned tax dollars going towards your profits!

Agree!

When my dad's automotive repair business went belly up!(business partner stole money from the business)
He went to work at a Retail place called Fed Mart.
The Owner of Fedmart at the time,Sol Price Belived in paying all of his employees a living wage.
When Sol price was forced out of the company The new company decided to cut payroll.
Fed Mart went under 6 years later.
Sol Price went on to Start a new Business called Price Club

Look At Costco and Home Depot's profits.
Notice how the prices are low at these places and they still make money.
Notice the longevity of some of the workers at these places(20 years ect...)
You can pay your employee's a living wage and still make a profit,it's been proven!
SEE highlighted response .............

(1) its not Wal-Mart's problem that so many of their employee's are on public assistance,

(2) Pls show us the law that states a company ( any company ) has to pay a living wage or that the same company must hire people full time .

(3) If you have a beter business plan then you are free in the United States to go into busniss as Wal-Mart has done and then you can pay your workers a living wage and as you state make a profit , then you will have solved the employment problems , it's as easy as that , go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products