Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 07:03 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times

Advertisements

If this is worth wasting your time to complain about online, then I envy you for the amount of free time that you obviously have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 07:08 PM

833 posts, read 1,714,244 times
Why do people apply at Walmart?

It pays better than what they currently are making !

Old 06-19-2012, 07:33 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
The Walmart in my town has similar problems. Very long waits, not enough checkers most of the time, and the shopping carts are all in terrible condition. It's rare I get a shopping cart with all the wheels actually working without the thump thump thump. Plus the management doesn't hire enough people to police up the carts in the parking lot and they are always scattered all over the lot.
If I do shop at the local Walmart, I go in the early morning, like before 9 am , then it's less crowded and the lines are shorter.
I will agree not all Walmarts are like this. I have been in much better ones than my local dumpmart.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:42 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
If they raise wages, they would lower profits. Take away that heavy profit margin and they will discourage investors. Loss of investors means they need higher proifits. To get higher profits they will need to raise prices, Raise prices and they will no longer be a low price leader. No longer being the low price leader means they loose the leveage over their vendors. Loose that leverage and the cost of goods go up. Cost goes up, profits go down even more. Less profits means having to slash wages.
....the wheels on the bus goes round and round, round and rournd, round and round.......
You know who's under the wheels of that bus don't you?

Old 06-20-2012, 06:01 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
You reminded me of how much I really do hate Wal-mart.

About 50% of it is family-owned still, by the same family that started Wal-mart, a family that claimed to be so religious, so American, so caring of the U.S., that it tooted this alleged American horn endlessly in their ads about how they only purchased American, only hired American, were 100% American, yada yada.

Turned out that they PAVED the way for taking jobs out of the U.S. and to China by manufacturing and purchasing abroad, and are the #1 prototype for everything that's so incredibly ugly about capitalism, i.e., the mega-rich taking advantage of the poor at every turn, but pretending not to.

In my opinion, they're trash and should be considered trash. Where once I used to purchase from them a lot, now I go when there's absolutely no other way I can obtain something. (And that includes purchasing online before I'll purchase from the scuzzbuckets).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
If they raise wages, they would lower profits. Take away that heavy profit margin and they will discourage investors. Loss of investors means they need higher proifits. To get higher profits they will need to raise prices, Raise prices and they will no longer be a low price leader. No longer being the low price leader means they loose the leveage over their vendors. Loose that leverage and the cost of goods go up. Cost goes up, profits go down even more. Less profits means having to slash wages.
....the wheels on the bus goes round and round, round and rournd, round and round.......

Old 06-20-2012, 04:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I just don't understand with Walmarts profits why they can't pay a living wage like Costco/Home depot ect...?
1) I doubt there are many Costco or Home Depot cashiers who are feeding a family of 4 on their wages alone; 2) all the talk about Walmart's huge profit margins in this thread is misinformed. Walmart's business model is based on volume, not margins. It's an exceptional quarter if their margin exceeds 4%. General retail is a cut-throat business and nobody's making big margins on it.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:50 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
Why do people apply at Walmart?

It pays better than what they currently are making !
My MIL works at Walmart. Some of the stories she brings home from work has me has me convinced that if it weren't for Walmart, many of these people wouldn't have a job at all.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:45 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Then I don't understand Wal-mart. Just today I went shopping for a curved shower rod, and found it $10 more expensive at Wal-mart than at JC Penney's. Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
1) I doubt there are many Costco or Home Depot cashiers who are feeding a family of 4 on their wages alone; 2) all the talk about Walmart's huge profit margins in this thread is misinformed. Walmart's business model is based on volume, not margins. It's an exceptional quarter if their margin exceeds 4%. General retail is a cut-throat business and nobody's making big margins on it.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:12 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
One thing I hate about Walmart is their lighting. It's depressing and darkish. If it's ever overcast, you practically have to use a flashlight to shop.
I agree. I guess it's to save money, but it just adds to the "creepiness" factor.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:15 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
My MIL works at Walmart. Some of the stories she brings home from work has me has me convinced that if it weren't for Walmart, many of these people wouldn't have a job at all.
This is true as well. Many of the people that work there these days would never be hired into jobs where things like hygiene and professionalism mean anything. Got tatoos but not enough kids to qualify for enough welfare for your complete economic support? Apply at Wal-mart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products