Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 03:04 PM

720 posts, read 3,007,636 times

Advertisements

I heard there's portable air conditioners that just sit in the middle of your room and cool the room.

I know window air conditioners sit in a window so you need the up and down windows i dont believe my cheap side sliding window can accomodate a window ac so was looking for the portable kind.

many of them i see seem to have ducting that needs to run out a window or soemwhere. are ther any just stand alone acs or do they all need to vent heat out a window or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 05:18 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
AFAIK they all need to be vented outside somehow to get rid of the heat, wouldn't do much good to cool the air and dump all that heat back into the room

Old 07-19-2012, 05:24 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
I have a portable air conditioner. It does need to vent out a window, but the one I bought has a plastic piece that you can insert into a window to vent it. I like mine because I don't need A/C very often, but when I do, I can move this to either the living room or bedroom as needed. It can be vented out of a window that opens vertically or horizontally.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:31 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I have window AC units on sliders, and they work fine. You simply open it, then after mounting cover the open area above it with 1/4" thick polycarbonate sheet cut to size, then caulk to seal the edges. The trouble with the portables is they take up a lot of space and you still have to deal with a window to vent the hot air out. An option some people do though, is put in front of the fireplace and vent up the chimney.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:09 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
are ther any just stand alone acs or do they all need to vent heat out a window or something?
Theer are dehumidifiers that are jusy an a/c without the vents or a fan. Since they are designe dto remain indoors inthe oipen while not "heating up" the room, they are really well designed to minimize heat. Just grab a fan and place it so it runs across the cooling coils and you have a/c. It won;t be near as good as a item desigend as an a/c but it will meet the ductless requirment.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:59 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Theer are dehumidifiers that are jusy an a/c without the vents or a fan. Since they are designe dto remain indoors inthe oipen while not "heating up" the room, they are really well designed to minimize heat. Just grab a fan and place it so it runs across the cooling coils and you have a/c. It won;t be near as good as a item desigend as an a/c but it will meet the ductless requirment.
These units are sometimes called "swamp coolers." They work well in dry areas that don't get extremely hot (Colorado, Wyoming, etc) but aren't worth a hoot in humid areas like the Midwest or dry areas where the temperatures are regularly in the 90s and above.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:26 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
A Window unit is made to fit in most sash type windows. They can also generally be fitted in a hole cut in the wall. A portable A/C generally refers to an A/C that can be moved around or rolled to different areas in the house. It comes with or uses a hose or duct to feed the heat removed form the room out of a window. The window is raised partially and has a panel fitted below it with a hole for the duct to feed out. The main difference in these types of units is price. Window A/C's are generally much cheaper than the special portable units. They used to make special units to fit in casement type or sliding horizontal windows. Those were also specialty units and cost more money than regular units.

So called Swamp coolers or better known as evaporative coolers do not use refrigeration. They have pads with water running over them through which air is drawn in to the home.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:40 AM

7 posts, read 9,201 times
Default Portable Air Conditioner

I have a portable air conditioner. It does need to vent out a window, but the one I bought has a plastic piece that you can insert into a window to vent it. I like mine because I don't need A/C very often, but when I do, I can move this to either the living room or bedroom as needed. It can be vented out of a window that opens vertically or horizontally.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:21 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate Winslet View Post
Why does it seem like I've read this before? Oh, yeah....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post

Old 07-27-2012, 08:39 AM

720 posts, read 3,007,636 times
hey guys thanks for the advice, that really clears things up that they both need to be vented. i was wondering if the non window units just sat in the middle of the room and didn't need to be vented. smoeone brought up a good point it takes up space in your room sitting on the floor, maybe ill see if i can find a window unit i can rig up something to sit in my window. i have really cheap side sliding windows so would worry its not strong enough to support a window acs weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products