Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 12:55 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times

Advertisements

You bet we will start checking better because of this thread but also we mostly use our debit card for all dining. I'm scared of those hand held devices which we see on TV where the server can illegally swipe your card to use later. And really how many of us keep all our receipt to check when the bill comes in?

As a retired business owner I have to say you will be doing the owner/manager a huge favor by letting them know if this has happened to you. yes they get busy and it "might make life easier" but even skimming 10cents from the change is stealing. And if any server asks me if I want any change back i am insulted and this affects my tip. Also I notice this happens to me more as a woman or with women friends but rarely when I am with my husband.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 01:00 PM

794 posts, read 1,325,367 times
I had the opposite happen to me just this weekend, like eveofnc mentioned. My total came to $12.20 (or some small change like that). I gave a $20 and she came back with $8 in change for me.

I don't mind that at all and usually leave an appropriate tip knowing the overage she gave to me, she will eventually have to balance at the end of the night...but I agree the opposite (like the OP described) is a deceitful practice.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:02 PM

43,275 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_widget View Post
I had the opposite happen to me just this weekend, like eveofnc mentioned. My total came to $12.20 (or some small change like that). I gave a $20 and she came back with $8 in change for me.

I don't mind that at all and usually leave an appropriate tip knowing the overage she gave to me, she will eventually have to balance at the end of the night...but I agree the opposite (like the OP described) is a deceitful practice.
Yes, I have had the server round in my favor, too. That never bothered me either....

Old 07-29-2012, 03:16 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
I think what really makes me mad is when a server will give you change in higher denominations hoping you will leave at least a $5 tip. A meal for one or even 2 people (me and a child) rarely deserves a $5 tip but I will get a $5 bill in my change.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:21 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,153,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I think what really makes me mad is when a server will give you change in higher denominations hoping you will leave at least a $5 tip. A meal for one or even 2 people (me and a child) rarely deserves a $5 tip but I will get a $5 bill in my change.
That's just a server being a noob or dumb. Any server with experience knows it's better to leave lots of $1 to increase your tip revenue.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:53 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,534,483 times
Yes, I have had that happen to me. In Maryland. Probably seven or eight years ago. Never forgot it.

When I questioned the fact that they kept my change, I was basically told that is what they do there. I was considered odd for even asking.

Of course, I didn't eat there again.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:23 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,161,895 times
i dont get the big deal. more than likely they just didn't have the coins available to give you since so few people pay in cash/coins, and they didn't want to waste both your time and theirs by going around asking for it when you're just going to leave it on the table or leave it forgotten in the bottom of your purse anyway. as someone else mentioned, they probably would've rounded the other way as well in your favor. they don't want your 20 cents that badly lol. the world is not out to get you. personally if i were a server i would only round change if it was in the customer's favor because in a customer service job you have to be cognizant of how oversensitive some people can be, especially when your livelihood depends on it.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:25 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,161,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well, they can keep the coins if they promise to stop calling my wife and me "Guys;" stop asking "Are you still working on that?" like we are a couple of hyenas on a wildbeest; and if they just get the check out to the table so I can go home before I pass out.
a few weeks ago my boyfriend and i went out and our server kept calling us "fellas" (i am a female and very obviously so). at first i thought he had to be joking but he kept doing it.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:35 PM

43,275 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
a few weeks ago my boyfriend and i went out and our server kept calling us "fellas" (i am a female and very obviously so). At first i thought he had to be joking but he kept doing it.
It is a training issue, methinks.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:39 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,153,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
i dont get the big deal. more than likely they just didn't have the coins available to give you since so few people pay in cash/coins, and they didn't want to waste both your time and theirs by going around asking for it when you're just going to leave it on the table or leave it forgotten in the bottom of your purse anyway. as someone else mentioned, they probably would've rounded the other way as well in your favor. they don't want your 20 cents that badly lol. the world is not out to get you. personally if i were a server i would only round change if it was in the customer's favor because in a customer service job you have to be cognizant of how oversensitive some people can be, especially when your livelihood depends on it.
Any restaurant that doesn't have the appropriate amount of change stocked in the registers has poor management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products