Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 03:33 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times

Advertisements

Just recently whenever a large group of my friends and I go out to eat, a "recommended" tip has been added to the bill & tallied into the final price. Is this something new? I actually would usually give a little more more than that. Do they think a large group of women is too cheap or classless that we would not know enough to give a tip?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 08-05-2012 at 03:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 05:06 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Just recently whenever a large group of my friends and I go out to eat, a "recommended" tip has been added to the bill & tallied into the final price. Is this something new? I actually would usually give a liitle more more than that. Do they think a large group of women is too cheap or classless that we would not know enough to give a tip?
Did you ask the restaurant? Perhaps this is their policy for everyone.

This used to be the policy in some European restaurants years ago, but I haven't seen it nor have I heard about it in years and years.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:01 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Just recently whenever a large group of my friends and I go out to eat, a "recommended" tip has been added to the bill & tallied into the final price. Is this something new? I actually would usually give a liitle more more than that. Do they think a large group of women is too cheap or classless that we would not know enough to give a tip?
In a word, yes.

A large table can monopolize waitstaff time compared to individual diners, prepping all those orders to get served within a brief timespan can be tricky, and in some situations the dinner tab is being paid for by an organization or company, and the company may not accept the idea of a tip as valid.

If you had ever dined at Wolfies in south Florida, you would be laughing at yourself. Stealing all the sweet-n-low is just a minor part of what women do there.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:04 PM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
It's been SOP around here for years. The most common number 6 diners or more. Part of the reason may be that servers are taxed and have withholding taken out on estimated tips now, have been for 20 years at least.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:29 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
This is pretty common and in most states this has to be disclosed on the menu or where the order is being made (typically at the table).

Sometimes instead of "18% gratuity" it will say "18% service charge". It is important to understand that a service charge is not a tip or gratuity.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:32 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is pretty common and in most states this has to be disclosed on the menu or where the order is being made (typically at the table).

Sometimes instead of "18% gratuity" it will say "18% service charge". It is important to understand that a service charge is not a tip or gratuity.
Last year my husband and I ate at a local restaurant (just the two of us) and 18% was automatically added. This was not mentioned ANYWHERE on the menu, in the restaurant or by the server or owner. I was really shocked; we usually tip a full 20%, so they basically screwed themselves. I can see added a gratuity for large parties; that has been the standard practice for most everywhere for years. But for a couple? We haven't been back since.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:27 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:

Yes, honesty is the best policy!

Old 08-05-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Last year my husband and I ate at a local restaurant (just the two of us) and 18% was automatically added. This was not mentioned ANYWHERE on the menu, in the restaurant or by the server or owner. I was really shocked; we usually tip a full 20%, so they basically screwed themselves. I can see added a gratuity for large parties; that has been the standard practice for most everywhere for years. But for a couple? We haven't been back since.
That's horrible. They should really let you know ahead of offering.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I don't follow....

Old 08-05-2012, 03:26 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
I don't follow....
Pretty simple! You said:

Quote:
It is important to understand that a service charge is not a tip or gratuity.
I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56
Meaning it's good when the diner or whatever is truthful and upfront about this charge!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products