Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:07 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times

Advertisements

Seems like every place we go lately, there are rude staff (cashiers). My husband and I have started to boycott places where we get 'attitudes' for no reason.

The other day we were at a place (small store) and the wind was whipping. The door didn't close properly and I was the last one in the door. The woman at the counter (near the door) SNAPPED rudely, "Close the door, will ya?!" in a nasty tone.

I was taken aback by her rudeness. I didn't leave it open on purpose as it is their problem the door is old and rickety. However, if she would have asked me nicely, I wouldn't have cared.

My husband said we're not coming back here anymore.

Today there was another incident in a different place. I was getting a coffee at a local place with him. The guy said "What do you want?" I told him and said "No sugar, half and half please."

The guy looks at me blankly. Then in a pissed off tone says, "We don't have half and half."

Okay, fine. There is a pause of 30 seconds and I am standing there like "Okay?" Finally he says, "We have cream."

I say okay, and we get our coffee.

Later my husband says, "Last time I was in there they had a really belligerent guy (different guy) in there and he said nothing through out the whole transaction, just had this angry look on his face."

I know these incidents are not big deals but it just seems like if you NEED a job you could try being civil to your customers. I worked in public service and know people can be real ass****s but what's up with being rude or surly for no reason??

I just maybe it comes down to people not knowing how to deal with people. Maybe everyone should get cut a break sometimes.

So that's 2 places we won't be returning to if we can avoid it.

I have to say after living here 2.5 years, people in this area are way ruder than in NY. Definitely lacking social graces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 12:03 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,341,008 times
I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt but if it's a small establishment and everyone is rude I'll tell them how I felt about the way they treated me first and go back again. If they continue with the poor treatment then I'm done with them. At least this way I've had my say and they know how I feel. If it's a large business I'll either just shrug it off or, if it's a real nasty situation, contact the manager prior to leaving the store. There are some people who shouldn't be allowed to deal with customers.

Last edited by lititzman2003; 01-07-2010 at 12:16 PM..

Old 01-07-2010, 01:27 PM

22,558 posts, read 47,614,734 times
One person on one day is not enough to drive me away from a business I like. Anyone could have a bad day.

FWIW... when he said they don't have half & half, you COULD have offered an alternate preference instead of just standing there...

Old 01-07-2010, 01:38 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,316,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
One person on one day is not enough to drive me away from a business I like. Anyone could have a bad day.
Same here.
I would give the store a few more shots and if this attitude continued, then I would probably walk away...

Old 01-07-2010, 01:44 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Quote:

FWIW... when he said they don't have half & half, you COULD have offered an alternate preference instead of just standing there...
I know. Also these are quite petty gripes in the scheme of life! I just get the feeling it's the further moving away from service here in the USA..no one cares to do their job well.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:48 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
Oh yeah! Depends on how awful the situation is!
Once my hubby had an eye exam and AFTER the exam were told that our insurance is not accepted at their office. I was LIVID! They now wanted us to pay the whole eye exam amount even though they were supposed to be checking my insurance before seeing him.
The owner kicked me out and gave me my deductible back. NEVER AGAIN! South Park Mall Optical, San Antonio, TX

Old 01-07-2010, 01:57 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,251,417 times
Quote:

A well trained staff member would have said, "We don't have half & half, but we have cream. Would that be okay?" The OP could have asked for a million things and gotten "we don't have that" over and over and over....

I'll give a business a second chance but probably not a third. Rude service definitely affects the tip, even the first time!

Old 01-07-2010, 01:58 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,582,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
Same here.
I would give the store a few more shots and if this attitude continued, then I would probably walk away...
Yes, definitely. Our friends and I have banned certain places after repeated rudeness.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I don't exactly boycott but I definite do not go back.Why would I?

Old 01-07-2010, 08:18 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Seems like every place we go lately, there are rude staff (cashiers). My husband and I have started to boycott places where we get 'attitudes' for no reason.
You'd be doing these businesses a favor if you'd send them a polite letter and tell them of your bad experiences. They can't make any improvements if they don't know there's a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products