Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 04:23 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times

Advertisements

I really do not like it when another customer messes with my items on the conveyor belt at a store's checkout. Last night it happened yet again.

I put all of my items on the conveyor belt, all tightly packed, with no free space to spare. I then put down the divider at the back of my batch of items to be purchased, so that after the belt moved forward a bit, the customer behind me could begin to put down their items to be purchased.

Well sure enough, the unkempt little bipedal rodent waiting in line behind me picked up the divider, and vainly used it to push on a loaf of bread that was part of my purchase in order to attempt to move my items forward in order to make more room on the conveyor belt for his items. This did NOTHING other than simply push against the side of my loaf of bread and deform it since my items were all as tightly packed as they could possibly be and the divider could not possibly move them all forward without damaging my bread.

I just stood there and glared at him. Sensing daggers shooting out of my eyes and an imminent confrontation as I was wondering why he would do something so remarkably inane, he just sheepishly smiled, said hello, put down the divider, and looked away.

I don't think my bread was damaged, but still, it's the principle of the whole thing -- don't mess with my stuff! Or am I just getting upset over something that I should not get upset over...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 10:43 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,549,250 times
That hasn't happened to me (yet). I'm the type of person who speaks up,so I probably would have asked him to stop. I don't move other people's groceries, either, I wait until there's enough room.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:27 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
I'm with you. I would be upset if they moved my stuff. I got there first and until my stuff moves to make room for theirs, the conveyor belt is mine.

I'd speak up. If it crushed something of mine like a loaf of bread, I'd kindly request the cashier to wait while I fetch a new loaf. If it was something that just got moved but not crushed, I'd just move their stuff out of the way (by placing it on the floor), move the divider back, and put my stuff how I had it.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:30 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,301 times
I have not had this happen to me, although in this town of ingrates I could see it happening. I'm more disturbed by customers' need to stand RIGHT ON TOP OF ME while I enter my PIN. Back up and give me some personal space!!

Old 09-12-2012, 10:31 AM

3,550 posts, read 1,549,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
I'm more disturbed by customers' need to stand RIGHT ON TOP OF ME while I enter my PIN. Back up and give me some personal space!!
Once at Trader Joe's I was bagging the groceries but I hadn't yet paid. While the cashier was finishing, I got out my card to pay, and I was surprised to see someone standing right in front. She saw me approach with my card but made no effort to move. I said, "I'll be more than happy to let you pay." We all laughed, but she got the hint and gave me my space.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:57 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
What gripes me is, the cashiers who reach right in my purse/wallet to remove my credit card for me! Yes, this has happened to me many times!

I usually try to have whatever cards ready to go, but sometimes another card is required, etc. Now, I do have severe arthritis and rather deformed hands, but I am quite capable of getting my stuff out of my purse. But the cashier sees me fumbling through my wallet or purse, and will reach right in, oh here, let me help you!If I need to search through my purse, I usually try to do it out of reach of the helpful cashier, but told one gal---the last person who did that lost a hand! Geez!

Old 09-12-2012, 12:35 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
What gripes me is, the cashiers who reach right in my purse/wallet to remove my credit card for me! Yes, this has happened to me many times!

I usually try to have whatever cards ready to go, but sometimes another card is required, etc. Now, I do have severe arthritis and rather deformed hands, but I am quite capable of getting my stuff out of my purse. But the cashier sees me fumbling through my wallet or purse, and will reach right in, oh here, let me help you!If I need to search through my purse, I usually try to do it out of reach of the helpful cashier, but told one gal---the last person who did that lost a hand! Geez!
That doesn't happen around here... ever.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:22 PM

24,468 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
That doesn't happen around here... ever.
Nor here.

And so is anyone moving stuff on the belt.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:12 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

What?????? I don't blame you, that's a clear invasion of your space. I am VERY defensive of my personal space and even moreso of my money. I think you gave them a good answer. Maybe next time they will know that it is HANDS OFF!

Old 09-13-2012, 02:24 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
I have not uncommonly moved other people's stuff on the conveyor. Not everyone corrals his purchases into a tidy pile. Some folks will use the entire space for a few items. Then the cashier does not advance the conveyor. I am standing there waiting for the person ahead of me to make room. Nothing happens.

So I slide the other customer's order over and start unloading my buggy. I do not crush anything.

I do not think this is unreasonable. It expedites not only my checkout but that of everyone behind me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products