Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 04:48 PM

732 posts, read 1,042,620 times

Advertisements

Shopping right now is rough anyway with the Holiday crowds but this is my pet peeve so maybe somebody can explain it.

Ladies, why in the world do you take so long to get your money out of your purse at the checkout line?

Here's the scenario I see all the time. I'm standing in line with a whole lot of other customers. There's always at least one of these women standing in line, glancing at the magazine display, staring off into space, picking her nose, or doing something mundane.

She gets to the counter, quietly watches her basketful of items rung up and bagged, which takes some time. When the cashier finishes and totals the amount, here's what happens:

1. Lady starts riffling frantically through a purse the size of Rosie O'Donnell's head...

2. After 10 minutes of searching for her billfold, she finally finds it, then starts riffling through dozens of cards trying to find the one she needs...

3. She swipes it through the scanner, then spends another 10 minutes fumbling through her billfold, trying to put the card in the exact same spot which she couldn't find in the 1st place...

4. After all her items are bagged and placed in her cart, she then spends another 10 minutes folding and snapping every flap on the purse, slinging it onto her shoulder, adjusting it so it aligns with her bra strap, then slowly saunters off, while the 20 people who have backed up behind her try to restrain themselves from reaching for the tar and feathers.

Simple question. Ladies, why don't you get your card out and ready before the items are totaled and bagged? Then, simply place the card in your pocket and replace it in the purse when you get home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 05:11 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,542,302 times
I don't know why anyone does that. The other day I was behind a man who took forever to find what he needed and then took just as long putting his change and receipt in his wallet. The cashier was done ringing me up but I couldn't pay [with my credit card, which I had on hand] until he moved out of the way.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:21 PM

22,420 posts, read 47,402,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post

Simple question. Ladies, why don't you get your card out and ready before the items are totaled and bagged?
Meh... as if ALL ladies do that and ALL men don't.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:24 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times
I don't see women doing this the most.
I see old people doing this the most.
And I have no idea.
But five seconds of time ain't gonna kill nobody.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:16 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,318,274 times
Mostly women do this: wait til the entire order is rung up til they write the check. Can they at least have the store name, date, etc. filled out? I am a woman and this aggravates me.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:26 PM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Quote:

2. After 10 minutes of searching for her billfold, she finally finds it, then starts riffling through dozens of cards trying to find the one she needs...

3. She swipes it through the scanner, then spends another 10 minutes fumbling through her billfold, trying to put the card in the exact same spot which she couldn't find in the 1st place...
Count your blessings. It could be a lot worse. It could be a checkbook she's fumbling for. She finds it, but then she has to dig out a pen, or ask the cashier for one. Then she has to write out the check. THEN (she's not done yet), she has to record the transaction in her check register! The cashier has to run the check through their automated check verifier. The customer puts the checkbook back in her purse. Meanwhile, the check doesn't go through the cashier's scanner, and the cashier has to fumble with it. FINALLY both the cashier and the customer are done fumbling, and the line can move on.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:41 PM

41,881 posts, read 74,938,731 times
Why do men always ask such stupid questions?

Old 12-03-2012, 07:50 PM

26,691 posts, read 41,629,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't see women doing this the most.
I see old people doing this the most.
And I have no idea.
But five seconds of time ain't gonna kill nobody.
Trust me, it aint five seconds in mots instances.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:06 PM

802 posts, read 1,677,964 times
Quote:
Shopping right now is rough anyway with the Holiday crowds but this is my pet peeve so maybe somebody can explain it.

Ladies, why in the world do you take so long to get your money out of your purse at the checkout line?

Here's the scenario I see all the time. I'm standing in line with a whole lot of other customers. There's always at least one of these women standing in line, glancing at the magazine display, staring off into space, picking her nose, or doing something mundane.

She gets to the counter, quietly watches her basketful of items rung up and bagged, which takes some time. When the cashier finishes and totals the amount, here's what happens:

1. Lady starts riffling frantically through a purse the size of Rosie O'Donnell's head...

4. After all her items are bagged and placed in her cart, she then spends another 10 minutes folding and snapping every flap on the purse, slinging it onto her shoulder, adjusting it so it aligns with her bra strap, then slowly saunters off, while the 20 people who have backed up behind her try to restrain themselves from reaching for the tar and feathers.

Simple question. Ladies, why don't you get your card out and ready before the items are totaled and bagged? Then, simply place the card in your pocket and replace it in the purse when you get home?
According to your calculation, this delay takes over 30 minutes

In all seriousness, people are way too impatient, and if this is your biggest problem of the day, then I want your life.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:07 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,253,323 times
some are slower than others.
but the entire concept of shopping this time of year is something i dont understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products