Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 05:10 PM

335 posts, read 1,205,346 times

Advertisements

Do you plan to spend less than last year. I do and no Mattel or plastic china junk for the kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 05:29 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,155,725 times
Considering we skipped Christmas last year for financial reasons I imagine we will spend more this year. We will not be spending as much as in years past.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:10 PM

11,558 posts, read 11,995,498 times
We began cutting way back on spending at xmas time several years ago. Probably do not spend more than $200 max for everyone. Xmas is way too commercialized.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:11 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,370,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berries View Post
Do you plan to spend less than last year. I do and no Mattel or plastic china junk for the kids
I am not going to spend much. I don't think you need to buy expensive gifts. I will spend $10-20 per family member and that is it. Plenty of sweet little gifts you can get for that price.

Greenie

Old 10-16-2007, 01:24 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,845,186 times
We started going on a vacation somewhere warm in January or February and because of that, have slimmed down quite a bit on buying gifts. We do a family grab now and we each spend $100 on shopping for one person. It's worked out really well. Grandma and small kids get smaller gifts from everyone and the teens and adults participate in the grab bag. We'd rather take a nice trip than overload on tangibles.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:45 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,479,244 times
I've never seen the point of spending lots of $$$$ on Christmas presents.
I have one son, d-i-l and grandbaby...they will probably have a total of $150.00 spent on them. Hubby and I probably $100.00 each. This includes stocking stuffers.....

Others I buy for never go over $20.00 each...most of the time much less if I find something they would like.

No TV, no cell phones, no stereos or game systems...

Old 10-20-2007, 12:10 AM

14,229 posts, read 29,915,686 times
I love the challenge of finding really nice things for less money. I refuse to buy junk! I don't spend much on gifts but the stuff I buy is nice.

Just for example, for H's birthday, I found a great pair of Serengeti sunglasses with the most expensive lenses. I paid about $35 including shipping! Love a good deal and he will have those glasses for years.

My total holiday budget will be about $400. And that's less than last year.

Old 10-20-2007, 04:27 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,364,861 times
I am I think my DH family just wants to do gifts for the kids, and i am great at bargin huntting for my family I know what they like and can by for them when i hit sells. I gave my husband an x box last year, ( so this year games for it and I am buying them used) as for my son he loves to dress up in costumes so i am hitting all the store for chepa halloween costumes.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:15 AM

673 posts, read 3,138,125 times
We are going to try and keep things reasonable this year and not use the plastic to pay at all. We're trying so hard to get out of debt so hopefully we will be able to do so. I want to buy my daughter some things but I'm going to wait for good sales and especially wait until I have the money to pay for it right away. That's why hubby and I are working overtime!

Old 10-20-2007, 06:07 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,919,293 times
It'll probably be the same for me this year. No changes financially BUT I will shop smarter. Christmas is celebrated at my parents home with siblings, their spouses and their kids. There usually is a mountain of presents, a flurry of wrapping paper and the family room, living room, and foyer is a mess when it's all over. Personally, I think it's wasteful but every year we say that we should adhere to the one gift per person rule but it never happens! I will usually start by purchasing the one really thoughtful gift and then in the days leading up to Christmas, I'll buy the last minute 'have-to-have' items. Last year I stuck to the plan and I was pretty happy with the way things turned out. When you're forced to make that statement with just one gift- it sort of makes you put more thought into it and it seems to mean a lot more in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products