Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has service in restaurants declined over the years?
yes, it's worse 23 51.11%
no, it's better 5 11.11%
I've noticed no difference over the years 17 37.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 11:33 AM

22,581 posts, read 47,649,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
I was thinking the same thing. It is rare for us to get bad service. We do not go to expensive restaurants, so that's not the reason. Perhaps it is because we are nice to them and not treating them disrespectfully. But that's how we are with people in general.
It is rare for us too...
even at the expensive places.

I was also a waitress, so I am maybe more patient and tolerant than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 11:41 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I don't know what restaurants you are all going to, but the ones I like have great service that seems better than a few years ago, like they are trying harder to get people to come back. Even at chains like Red Robin the wait staff seem to really care about making us happy. I suppose if you go to Denny's you might have a less positive experience but I don't really consider that a restaurant.
I love Red Robin and have been known to go out of my way on a trip to eat there.

I ate there 2x in the last 4 months while traveling and was SHOCKED at the... degradation in service (2 separate places, in separate states.)

It's getting BAD.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:10 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,410 times
My wife and I are very tuned in to the feelings of others. We for the most part are very sensitive people.
Because of this we pick up on ques about a server's demeanor or mood despite the fact that they might be forcing themselves to be pleasant.

When the server tells us their name we make it a point to use it throughout our meal when asking for things and when commenting on something.

We compliment them on their hair or nails or something that makes them a person.

We engage them and look them in the eye and smile.

If we received exceptional service after our meal we will speak to the manager on duty and compliment the server on an excellent job well done before we walk out the door.

We see far far too many other patrons treating servers as nothing more than servants without acknowledging the person themselves doing the job. These people bark orders and treat the server very poorly.
There's no excuse for this.

Does treating the server like the person they are work each and every time? No, but it comes close. I'd say we have a solid 95 % favorable experience every time we dine out and that's at least three times a week.

We also leave a solid tip that reflects our satisfaction.

Next time your out and waiting for your server remember what I said in this reply and engage the server in conversation with a smile and a kind word. You'll be very happy with the service almost every time you do this.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:39 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,927,723 times
^^^^ ABSOLUTELY, Julian17033!!!

A tidbit I read years ago - If you are thinking of a compliment go ahead and pay the compliment. Say to the cashier at the grocery store whose haircut you admire - I like your hairstyle, etc...just like all the examples you gave. I know it makes me feel good when others (strangers) pay me a compliment.

Last edited by geebabe; 02-12-2013 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-12-2013, 01:05 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
How sweet...and the problem continues.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:16 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times
I don't go out that much, but my issue is with how the server disappears after the food has been brought to the table. Before then, they are overly attentive, but once the food arrives, poof! I warn my servers upon first meeting them that I drink a lot of water. I ask that a pitcher be left on my table or if "that's against policy" if they will give me two glasses of water. That way, I've always got one with water in it.

I hate it when servers don't remove plates when patrons are finished. Either remove the plate or have a busboy do it. I don't care who does it, get it off my table. This is especially frustrating at an overcrowded table.

I generally tip at 15% and go up from there depending on service. Rarely have I left less than 15%. My typical tip is 20% for good service.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:21 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
^^^^ ABSOLUTELY, Julian17033!!!

A tidbit I read years ago - If you are thinking of a compliment go ahead and pay the compliment. Say to the cashier at the grocery store whose haircut you admire - I like your hairstyle, etc...just like all the examples you gave. I know it makes me feel good when others (strangers) pay me a compliment.

I also wanted to add that when we frequent the same establishment on a regular basis some of the servers we made an initial connection with in the past want us to ask for their section when we return.

You see, it's not only polite and kind to treat others the way you want to be treated but it also makes good friends out of one time strangers.

I for one can't have too many friends in this life.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:52 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,195,089 times
I went to a Perkins restaurant in Minnesota for breakfast with a relative I visited and thought the service was excellent. In my part of the country I believe the Chili's chain has provided good service fairly consistently...only one of my last ten or so visits was not good service and got the vibe that the server was a new employee so cut some slack but also a little bit from the tip. Chili's seems to be a little better than most other chain establishments.

Overall service is probably the same as it was a decade ago. Some of our independent restaurants in town or nearby like Casa Sorrento, Growers Pub, Elli's Restaurant and Tarpy's Roadhouse have excellent service and there are a few that do not. I may give one or two of those a second chance because the food was good.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:03 PM

24,458 posts, read 25,995,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
What you expect from people who do not have proper training? Waitstaff are walk-ins from the street.
Not really, a relative just went thru this training.

http://www.workforce.com/article/200...aining-program

One of my sons has been in the business over 20 years and truing is always ongoing.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:12 PM

61,688 posts, read 87,077,794 times
I do have problem with waitstaff with filthy clothes ( spilled gravy, smeared mashed potatoes, drink spots etc. - you soiled your uniform, go and change. Bring always at least one clean change with you!)
I have problem with waitstaff who is unable to describe the dishes, don't know the specials, or the specials prices.
I hate when they place the bill on the table while I am still eating.
I hate when they come and ask me several times if everything is ok, while I have my mouth full, or need to interrupt conversation. Waiter should be attentive but not intrusive. He should keep an eye on the tables and patrons to notice empty glasses, plates or someone signaling them to come.
I think that putting a thumb middle in my food it's inexcusable, same with holding my glasses where I will touch them with my mouth.
I am displeased when I ask for a slight modification of my food and they say no, without trying to talk with the chef. I am forced to call the manager who will then see how to accommodate my needs. Why the waiter can't do it?
I truly HATE when they start to sweep the place around my table with a big, dirty broom, or come with a filthy broom/pan combination to sweep while I am sitting nearby and still eating. ( what about discreetly using a dustpan and sweeper?).
In some cheaper places they will spray a cleaning solution on the tables, that stinks like chlorox or pine, and I am breathing it while eating!
Not to mention wrong orders, or mixing up orders on one table, or extra charges when you happen to have alcoholic drinks.
Never happen to you???

Last edited by elnina; 02-12-2013 at 08:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products