Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 01:28 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,573,120 times

Advertisements

Any recommendations on reliable chainsaw. Not a professional and not real heavy. Just average use.

Anyone had experience with Echo brand? Have 2 other yard machines from them and they have been superb.

I know ethanol is deadly to 2 cycle engines so that is a consideration.

Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 02:06 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Anything but a Poulan, notorious for being hard to start.. Stihl are the best I've used. Always get a bar a bit longer than you'll think you need and a saw more heavy duty than you think. Those $99 chainsaws won't last long and are more headaches that their savings.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:12 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
DH will only use Stihl.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:36 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Stihl pro are really really good AND have parts available.
Husky comes in second. I have a Husky rancher and overall I like it.
Echo is OK
Poulan is a lot better than they used to be.

If you are only doing work around a yard, consider getting two electric chain saws. One, a Muculloch with about 2 HP (much more and the motor gets hot quick, even with gloves). The second is a little (Remington?) chain-saw on a stick for limbing and finishing cut in dangerous spots. It allows you to be away from the kick-back or twist that a tree or branch under stress can have.

Even with the Husky, sometimes I stick a portable generator in a wheelbarrow and use the little electric saw when working brush. It is much lighter, I don't have to be yanking start cords, and I can go for longer stretches.

Get proper protective gear, or at least go for gloves and pants AND long johns to slow a blade. Always carry a cellphone or walkie talkie.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:53 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Stihl. The only part effected by ethanol has been the gas cap and my 039 is still going strong for nearly 20 years now.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:53 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,573,120 times
Thanks all for the advice.

As for the electric, my property would make that difficult but otherwise it is a good idea.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:04 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
I own a Stihl. It has been great. Because of my experience with the Stihl chainsaw, I bought a Stihl leafblower and it has also been great. Both start easily as long as you follow directions and don't flood the engine. Their distributors will tell you to use only 89 octane gas with no ethanol.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:36 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
You can frequently buy a good Stihl or Husky at a pawn shop for about what you would pay for a hobby type saw new. I grabbed a Husky 272 for $250, easy to get parts for, modular construction so any in-field breakdown is easily taken care of - for example on the Husky you can buy a spare starter pull, it goes on the saw with 4 screws, so if you have the spare, given a broken starter rope, you can be back up in minutes. Hobby saws you will need a full tool kit and a place to work where you can keep all the fiddly little parts straight to fix.

Like *certain* old cars, old Stihl and Husky saws have a following, lot of people still use them, so outfits like Bailey's have all the common parts in their catalog. Older Poulan, etc. - I can find parts but not as easily.

Around here if you look you can find Conoco 91 octane no-ethanol gas, failing that you are probably better off buying those little cans of gas/oil mix.

If you know what you are doing with the saw, a professional type (not anti-kickback) chain does offer higher cutting performance. A pro-type chain on a small saw will improve cutting remarkably, but handle it properly so you don't get hurt.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:20 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,239,538 times
I have been using a Mcculough Eager Beaver to cut about a cord a year that I got in 1987 yes 1987. I looked ot get it tuned up last year and the guy told me it wasn't worth it since it was a $150 saw back in the day and parts who knows since they don't make them anymore. Though it is still running I ended up biting the inevitable and bought a Husky 550 I think it is. I have only used it once so far but it is amazing and in this case you really do get what you pay for. I hope it gives me 26 years and if it does have problems it is good enough to rebuild and not toss.
I would suggest paying a bit more and getting a good saw and taking care of it which will give you years of good cutting.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:12 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,655 times
I have a Stihl. No complaints yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products