Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 09:13 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times

Advertisements

I can understand where the OP is coming from. Stuff like she relates does happen. In some areas, the stores are practically at war with some of their "customers" and the attitude can bleed over onto the innocent.

Just as a suggestion, inverting the situation could allow for both "sides" to develop some rapport and good will. If Marylee went to the store, up to the counter and ASKED specifically for an employee to come and help her shop, bounced ideas and coupon savings and questions off the employee and WAS RELUCTANT TO LET THE EMPLOYEE LEAVE HER SIDE... the store management would get feedback to know who she is and would be forced to reframe the attitude towards her.

In the days when I was growing up in a small town, clerks pretty much knew everyone and kids were regularly tailed in case they hadn't yet figured out what was store property and what was their own. About the only way out of that was to build trust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 09:15 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,685 times
I've had friends point out that this happens a lot, especially in France.
The clerks "what are you doing here' mode!
It's like you're supposed to know their inventory in advance of coming into their store.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:34 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,396,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
I've had friends point out that this happens a lot, especially in France.
The clerks "what are you doing here' mode!
It's like you're supposed to know their inventory in advance of coming into their store.

Ok, my point!

I was browsing, I had no idea what I was looking for. Actually, I went in for some toothpaste, then, walked down the hair care aisle, and got distracted. Lots of options there! Geez, why do I even have to defend myself?

Old 04-22-2013, 12:52 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,396,101 times
I had half a notion to ask the "helpful" lady that I was looking for some really good condoms, you know, the kind that give you a "thrill", so what could she recommend? Based on personal experience, that is. How about a good douche bag with it? And some K-Y jelly, etc, etc.....hey, she asked, and the store does sell such items........Nah....I was too busy trying to rip off a bottle of shampoo!

Just how does one respond to such a question without feeling they are trying to cover up something? Obviously, one wouldn't feel comfortable still browsing, and having not made up my mind, well, guess the only other thing to do was leave the store. they probably figured they thawarted a shoplifter, after all, if I was going to buy something, I would have!

Like I mentioned, this has happened at least 5-6 times in this store. I'm sick of "playing innocent" when I am. I finally called their game----do you think I'm shopplifting? Oh, she really went off on me then, and started yelling at ME---you don't need to get antagonistic, etc, etc....not oh, we just wanted to offer assistance, my name's.......just let me know if I can be of any help.....no, none of that "nice" stuff, she really got pi$$ed.....guess I called HER bluff, not the other way around!

Old 04-22-2013, 08:35 AM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Seems every time I go in there, an employee confronts me as though I'm shoplifting. Usually I just leave, with no confrontation, since that's not the type of person I am. I don't like public confrontations, and usually just walk away.
Quote:
Guess they figured they caught me in the act, since I left without buying anything.
Quote:
Obviously, one wouldn't feel comfortable still browsing, and having not made up my mind, well, guess the only other thing to do was leave the store.
Quote:
they probably figured they thawarted a shoplifter, after all, if I was going to buy something, I would have!
Quote:
Like I mentioned, this has happened at least 5-6 times in this store.
Harry mentions building "some rapport and good will".
All the employees know is that you are the lady who keeps coming in, and who walks out without buying anything. When they approach you, you run off, as though you ARE guilty of something.

The ball is in your court to change that... or to stop going to that particular store.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:39 AM

50,247 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Do you ever buy anything? If you are that paranoid it probably shows. That's why they watch you.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:44 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,999,132 times
One has to take into account the caliber of customer (no) service that has invaded all retail now. It very well could be that person that works there probably shouldn't be dealing with the public or was never trained on standards of appropriate behavior. My guess is the person is a warm body filling a spot that needed to be filled.
I really don't think you personally were being targeted though I do admit I'd have to be there and see it to know for sure since as you aptly describe body language and tone have a lot to do with it.

Could it be possible that you were interrupting her important job of texting or chatting with her coworkers? Maybe she was busy holding up a counter or end cap by leaning on them?
I've run into many retail people who think a customer is a bother, to be tolerated at best, ignored or insulted at worst.
I'd either ignore them all together or stop going there. Of course you could always just annoy them. When you go in latch on to that particular person and ask her to help you (since you're in a chair) and have her go up and down the isles getting things off the top shelf so you can look at them while deciding if you want to buy it.
When you're done (after an hour or so) roll up to the counter and buy a pack of gum being sure to say thank you very much for your help.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:46 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,467 times
If you weren't being profiled before, you will be next time. You can thank the "show" you just put on for that.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:47 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,467 times
Any chance you get the extra attention because of your disability? Sometimes people get more nervous/act differently around those that appear different...

Old 04-22-2013, 12:29 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
Everything you have posted about the way you browse around the store without buying anything is the way that shoplifters work. I don't blame the clerks. They are probably tired of watching out for you.

dont' go into a store unless you plan to buy. Go to that section, get that item and check out. You won't be bothered.

You have no one to blame but yourself. You are acting like a shoplifter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products