Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 07:08 AM

85 posts, read 192,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magusat999 View Post
I think its actually rude for a clerk to think it rude because a person is on their cellphone. The customer doesn't owe them customer service, the clerk owes the customer that. Why should I, as a customer have to make myself available for a conversation with a clerk if I don't want to? I might need to be on the phone - I might be shopping for a group or confirming that I have the right item? I work in an environment where I have high contact with the public - I never "expect" them to be courteous. I won't tolerate abuse, but if someone doesn't want to greet me or communicate with me that is there choice. On the other hand, my JOB entails customer service, so it is my duty to provide them with as pleasant an experience as possible. If they reject it, so be it - but I can't get upset with them if they refuse my pleasantries.

There are different roles here, and we cannot expect people to all be the same on both sides. The business wants the customer to come back, so they provide customer service protocols. You don't try and apply those actions to a customer! What does a customer have to gain by providing customer service to a clerk? That's just stupid. Now I don't go around being rude to people, but if I am on my cellphone or otherwise occupied when I get to you, don't get offended - I don't owe you customer service - you owe me. Just ring up my stuff and I'll pop off the phone long enough to say thanks or bye, and keep it moving to the next customer. Get the chip off your shoulder and just do your job. Is it unfair that I can ignore you but you can't ignore me? NO. Why? Because that's why you get paid - I'm not there to get paid, I'm there to spend money, and I don't have any such rules. It's called reality, tough cookies - deal with it.
It is called common courtesy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 10:03 AM

486 posts, read 862,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magusat999 View Post
It isn't "disrespect" - I have a right to communicate with whom I choose. It's a disrespect to my rights for someone to try and force me to give them special attention when I choose not to. As long as I pay enough attention to pay what I owe, gather my groceries and move along, I do not owe anything else.

People keep adding to the scenario little situations that are not applicable to my statement. Nobody said its okay to be disrespectful - unless you call me stopping whatever I am "multi-tasking" at to greet someone "disrespectful". Disrespect would be if I spit in the clerk's face - it's not "disrespectful" not to give the clerk special attention.

I also didn't say anything about holding up the line being "okay". I've seen plenty of occasions where a person kept speaking on their cellphone and "moved along" just fine. We are strictly talking about a customer supposedly "greeting" a clerk as if the clerk strolled into THEIR store. that's not a customer's job, and no matter what you argue you aren't going to force the general public to be all warm and giggly with you - but that IS the clerk's JOB, yes it is.

I have yet to see a clerk go all postal because people didn't stop and exchange pleasantries with them - if your feeling that weak maybe it's time to get another job. This is a case of someone who doesn't care too much for the job in the first place, so they place unrealistic demands, fantasies or dreams upon strangers who walk in the door. They think these people, whom they know nothing about are "supposed" to make their day better by treating them "special". You have no idea what each one of these people have been through, yet you think they should waltz into the store and be all "happy to see you". It's the clerks job to make the customer's day, not the other way around, and if you can't - well at least you tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Who cares, their job isn't to be your friend, it's to assist you in your purchase. Don't get why people constantly complain when they don't get their little dose of fake friendliness from a service worker as if they should be treated like some emperor
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ok, look, shopping is serious business, at least for me. Check out at the grocery, etc, is a major financial transaction. A big portion of our monthly expenditures goes towards food, household items, etc. I spend a lot of time shopping, comparing prices, coupons, sales, deals, etc. Usually by the time I get to the checkout, I'm pretty tired, but, the biggest part of the transaction is yet to come---paying for it all! by the time I get to the checkout, I'm usually tired, and don't want to bibble babble, I want my order rung up correctly, I do NOT want to talk all about my weekend, my kids, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Ideally, I prefer just two phrases: "Hello" and "Thank you."

I really am not looking to get into long conversations with cashiers, and back when I was a cashier, I wasn't looking to get into long conversations with customers. Furthermore, back when I was a cashier, my perception of people who wanted to get into long winded conversations with me was that they were somewhat pathetic, with some exceptions. I really didn't care why you were buying what you were -- just take your change and please go away.
The OP cashier seems out of the norm since the Target stores I've gone to, they were very polite and
nice. Maybe that cashier was having a traumatic or stressful experience in her life.
No one is suggesting to get into a big chit chat with the cashier but what's wrong with being a nice
person/customer.
Remember that a little kindness and a smile can go a long way especially if you are a frequent
customer at what ever establishment you go to.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:08 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,903,144 times
Quote:
Well, what did you expect....for the cashier to engage in some long-winded conversation? Realize, they are rated on transaction speed, along with other metrics. Once you let some people start talking, there's no stopping them, while you have a line backing up behind you. Perhaps the cashier you had was just not a talker, or, perhaps she had just been put on notice to get her stats up or.....else. This isn't like in the good ol' days, when a person could actually breathe without it being noted and timed. I used to work in telephone customer service and support. One Chatty Cathy coud cost me my job! You just don't realize it unless you have worked in such a job, you can be a second away from losing it. Then, like in my phone jobs, get someone who can't hear, doesn't speak English, wants to argue, I've learned to get them off the line. Was I friendly? Who cares, I have my family to support! Customers of the world, get over yourselves!
Being a cashier in a big box store I go through this every day. People complain about 'unfriendly cashiers' but what about the jerks who are on their cell phone from start to finish? I just don't talk to them. I mean, it would be rude of me to interfere with their phone call right?? I had ONE customer complain that I didn't say anything to her because of that. Actually, I DID say "Hi, how are ya?" and she ignored me, so.... This same woman actually yelled at me for not talking to her when I DID try. I had a looooong line behind her and was going like crazy to get them all through but still I didn't ignore her. She complained to my manager. She also said it was my job to tell her how much she owed, when she obviously saw the amount on the monitor and had the money laid out for me.

You are also right about us being rated on transaction speed...SPH...scans per hour. It's a lot of pressure, for sure, and people who spend 5 minutes digging in their pocket/purse for those two pennies in change mess us up. Although we do have a 'secret' method of 'stopping the clock' we can use but then people get all bothered by the sub totals on their receipt. We can't win for losing sometimes.

I had a guy last week yell at me, REALLY loud, because HE left a bag at my register. Told me, in no uncertain terms, it was MY fault. Well, it sorta was and I agreed with him because it IS up to me to give that carousel a last turn to be sure BUT whatever happened to personal responsibility?? We are only allowed three left behinds a month so you can be sure I do my best to make sure.

I have a question for shoppers though. It seems they'll JUMP to talk to a manager if things aren't exactly to their liking but how many will take a minute to say they were treated nicely? Anybody...???

Last edited by AZDesertBrat; 04-29-2013 at 10:17 AM..

Old 04-29-2013, 10:40 AM

23,519 posts, read 24,000,129 times
I agree with the OP and that is very rude behavior. If they do that to me, they will see some "color" from me at the end of the transaction. I have also reported such behavior to the store management. These people should not be working in a "customer facing" position if they do not have the correct attitude and manners. Customers are your lifeblood and you should never be rude to them.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:27 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,654,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I agree with the OP and that is very rude behavior. If they do that to me, they will see some "color" from me at the end of the transaction. I have also reported such behavior to the store management.
That's why I refuse to work in a job where I need to interact with people. I mean really, don't you have anything better to do with your time than pick on people? So the cashier didn't smile at you and compliment you and give you a kiss on each cheek and tell you that you look far too young to be experiencing menopause -- who cares?! If you're getting the items you want for the amount of money you intended to spend, be happy and leave. If you need somebody to talk to, call one of your friends on your phone or something. Cashiers are employed to take your cash, ergo the reason they're called cashiers. If you need somebody to be your personal social-butterfly so you can feel better about yourself because it's all about you, go elsewhere.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Not only don't they acknowledge me but they're usually busy carrying on side conversations with others!
All I ask is they pay attention to their job and don't foul up my transaction.
^^^^ This annoys the crap out of me too! Yesterday I had to tell a co-worker to NOT talk to me when I'm scanning and bagging a customers items. Some of them just don't think! I refuse to talk to a co- worker who tries to engage me in conversation when I'm busy.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Ok, look, shopping is serious business, at least for me. Check out at the grocery, etc, is a major financial transaction. A big portion of our monthly expenditures goes towards food, household items, etc. I spend a lot of time shopping, comparing prices, coupons, sales, deals, etc. Usually by the time I get to the checkout, I'm pretty tired, but, the biggest part of the transaction is yet to come---paying for it all! by the time I get to the checkout, I'm usually tired, and don't want to bibble babble, I want my order rung up correctly, I do NOT want to talk all about my weekend, my kids, etc
I don't want to "bibble babble" either and I don't talk to customers about their weekends, etc.. Whatever we talk about, if we do, is mostly just 'stuff' and usually has to do with their items/prices/etc..

Not long ago I had a customer tell me that he didn't think I was human because everytime he comes in there I am always "up", happy and in a good mood. He always looks for me when he comes in though so I guess he likes me for it.

I was in restaurants for over 30 years and learned early on how to deal with customers. I also learned early that as long as you work with the public you will NOT have a 'bad day', you will NOT feel 'under the weather', you will NOT let anything else in your life get in the way of cheerful, upbeat and friendly customer service. So even if I were having a 'bad day' nobody would ever know it. And if you have a really crappy customer you don't let that affect how you treat the next one. In the restaurant biz I learned early to tell myself that they would only be in my life for XXX minutes and then be gone, so I could deal with it. Same goes for retail but I have to say that 99% of my customers are just great.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:12 PM

123 posts, read 181,427 times
Popcornn, I am with you! A little Hi, how are you today? would be nice! I get all of the cashiers who are chatting with each other but not the customers!

Old 04-29-2013, 09:29 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,720,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcornn View Post
So today I was at Target and the cashier doesn't even say anything to me. No hi how I'm doing, didn't tell me my total, no bye. just grabbed the receipt out of her hand and left. It's so rude it's like you work in customer service and least acknowledge customers.
Yes, you should at least acknowledge your customers. As a cashier, you should always remember that you could be the reason they don't return to the store. No customers, no job.

You then say a little prayer that by speaking kindly and sincerely, you have not provided them with an invitation to start up a conversation which will go on and on and on and ooooooon!

Yeah...works the same way in the medical field...with patients, family members, other service employees, etc.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:01 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,479,870 times
I do like them to at least smile and say hello but no contact is almost better than the ladies at Nordstrom, each of which "hello's" you at every turn. It's almost ridiculous how often one gets greeted there and it actually interferes with my shopping. Probably why I don't go there often anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products