Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 07:48 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,804,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I've never been asked my name or phone number (unless I forgot my discount card - they can look it up with my phone#) but I have frequently been asked for my zip code. I don't mind sharing that as it's innocuous. The zip is pretty much a way for the company to determine how far patrons are traveling to shop.

I did, however, come across a situation in a name department store. My card was very old and apparently I had to get a new one. (I was unaware) I was making a purchase and the clerk told me that she couldn't put it on my card and I would have to apply for a new one. "But I can take your information right here." When she asked for my social security number, I told her I wouldn't give it to her. Picture it - I'm standing at a Customer Service counter with three people waiting to be helped and this little twit wants me to give her my social security number?!? I told her that I would not be renewing my charge account, used an alternate card and don't shop there now.
OMG! It's hard to believe that someone would ask for an SS # in front of other customers! What planet are they on? I realize their supervisor likely told them to do it, but what an incredible thing to ask in public. I won't even put my SS number on any forms, such as dental or medical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Josef the Chewable View Post
I've worked in retail, and I also value my privacy. But having been in a cashier position, I would suggest politely declining, with the emphasis on "politely". It's true that some clerks are simply oblivious or obnoxious, but in many cases their performance evaluations are contingent on them trying to collect this information.

I would have happily skipped such nonsense as a cashier, but unfortunately I was required to ask. I can't count how many times people made their displeasure with such corporately-mandated policies known by screaming at me or barking, "Just ring up my order!"
Yes, this is unfortunate when customers take out their anger on the wrong people. Kind of like customers dissatisfied with their food in a restaurant, and the waitstaff get an earfull.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineF View Post
Great Clips here pretty much insists on a phone number. When I first had my "profile" set up I gave them my area code with 867-"fifty-three-oh-nine" and it didn't register with the employee at all.

I turned around to have a seat and wait, the guy behind me was trying really hard not to laugh......
That's great. Speaking of Great Clips, I just got the worst haircut ever the other day! Terrible, but that's another thread. I'm definitely not going back.....I asked for a trim (asked her to take off 1/2", and got chopped! 2" off in the back! I think they are on timers....I was in the chair for all of 3 minutes....).... Probably revenge because I didn't provide any personal information for their "profile" hahaha

Old 05-08-2013, 08:07 AM

8,807 posts, read 21,238,611 times
"fifty-three-o-nine".... guess I'm too old to know what that means.

We had a song in the sixties " And my number is : Beechwood 4 5-7-8-9 " ...
"You can call me up for a date any old time ."

Is it like that ?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 05-08-2013 at 08:18 AM..

Old 05-08-2013, 11:09 AM

24,377 posts, read 25,888,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
"fifty-three-o-nine".... guess I'm too old to know what that means.
Here ya go Nancy.

867-5309/Jenny - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-09-2013, 04:40 PM

8,807 posts, read 21,238,611 times
Thanks, mm. I guess I should have known that .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-09-2013, 10:06 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,397,031 times
Have been to several Great Clips in my area as well as another state and I have to say I like them - the gal was terrific in my previous state and when she moved to another town, my friend and I followed her - later she moved back so that was a huge plus (said she became a manager). I like going early in the AM when they first open and Im in and out faster then and you cant beat the price, esp. when they give you a coupon. The GC in my new state has taken a little getting used to but I've only been once and the cut was ok but I have to reserve judgment plus I may not have explained myself clearly enough (alth. it was def. not a complicated cut)

I may have given my phone # (we have caller id but am not thrilled w/ having to give the ph #) but not my ss# - I was in another store (not GC) the other day and wanted to get an extra discount but changed my mind when the app asked fo my ss# - the clerk said I could enter it myself on the register and she wouldn't see it but I just didn't feel comf. doing it that way so will forego the disc. card (am not comf. giving my ss# to dr's either)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
That's great. Speaking of Great Clips, I just got the worst haircut ever the other day! Terrible, but that's another thread. I'm definitely not going back.....I asked for a trim (asked her to take off 1/2", and got chopped! 2" off in the back! I think they are on timers....I was in the chair for all of 3 minutes....).... Probably revenge because I didn't provide any personal information for their "profile" hahaha

Old 05-10-2013, 01:42 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,142,757 times
This reminds me of my old bank. The drive thru was taking FOREVER and unfortunately I was stuck - concrete "barrier" one side, building on the other, and cars behind me. By the time I got to be the second car, I knew why. They were asking people if they wanted to open a credit card. If the person said yes (quite a few did apparently), they took all your information right then and there, at the drive thru. Nevermind it was holding up the line, but you could hear everything! I could've easily taken down all that person's personal info. while I waited.

(I did voice my opinion on that when I got to the window, FINALLY, and was asked if I wanted to open a credit card)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products