Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 11:37 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
A good nights sleep is priceless though so a couple grand on a mattress is money well spent.
^^^ This.

OP, A dormer is something that you may or may not do in the future, but if you sleep well in the night your mind will be sharp next day to make good economic decisions for the future.... sooooo ... yeah.... mattress..... now !!

And its not like its going anywhere (as you said), it will be there for your guests to enjoy. You cannot go wrong with a brand new good quality Queen mattress purchase for your current situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 11:44 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
It doesn't sound like you're over thinking it. You ARE over thinking it. That said, go with option 1.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:23 PM

45 posts, read 92,174 times

Old 05-23-2013, 12:45 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
#2. I know you're thinking you're going to be all about buying things like a king size mattress (and bed, I am guessing unless you just do a frame) but once you own a home and have kids and you start renovating and the taxes go up every year and now they are more because of the dormer and hey daycare is so expensive or I decided to stay home and wow hubby's salary doesn't go as far because of said kids and house.....long story short, you're not going to be buying that king size bed you covet.

What you CAN do is live a little cramped in your small BR for a couple of years, especially when it's 2 of you and you have 3 extra bedrooms.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:18 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
This is what I did.

Bought Simmons back supporter queen mattress and split box spring. It is a eurotop which means not much padding. I put two egg crates on top for padding. They are cheap....when they start to wear out, I replace them.

Less than $800 delivered.

I've had this bed now for 8 years...still looks brand new... and feels brand new. There is no sag. I can do the same now for not much more money.

The bed it replaced was a high-end Stearns & Foster.. which lasted me 2 years before the padding started to bunch and flatten.

Now.. should your financial position improve and you can go through your renovations, this new bed purchase will become the guest bed.. and you can buy a king.

But... as they say... the best laid plans.................

Old 05-23-2013, 01:23 PM

783 posts, read 1,423,541 times
option 2 or 3. You don't want to be stuck with 2 queens after your renovation unless you plan on putting 1 of the queen in the kid's room.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:12 PM

429 posts, read 853,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
#2. I know you're thinking you're going to be all about buying things like a king size mattress (and bed, I am guessing unless you just do a frame) but once you own a home and have kids and you start renovating and the taxes go up every year and now they are more because of the dormer and hey daycare is so expensive or I decided to stay home and wow hubby's salary doesn't go as far because of said kids and house.....long story short, you're not going to be buying that king size bed you covet.

What you CAN do is live a little cramped in your small BR for a couple of years, especially when it's 2 of you and you have 3 extra bedrooms.
This is pretty much what I was looking for. I realize that priorities will shift once we've been living in the house, so I was looking for people who are in my shoes (but years in the future) to shed some light.

PS - Someone gave me a "reputation" comment of: that's total BS that you can save up $50K to $100K in 4 or 5 years. If you make that kind of money then why don't you buy a house that's already dormered or just buy a colonial

Sooo, just to explain... we've chosen a mortgage payment that will allow us to save approximately $15k per year. I'm not saying it will be the easiest thing ever, but we're used to saving toward our goals and we have travel goals and obviously renovation goals for when we will become homeowners. $15k for 5 years will give us $75k. Not quite $100k, but is it that unheard of to be diligent in savings goals? Also, why is this person giving me a reputation comment but saying I'm full of BS?

Old 05-23-2013, 10:39 PM

245 posts, read 495,647 times
Bj's has queen sets for $350.00. Which i have had for a few years with no problems and have bought for each of our 3 kids in the last 6 years. If after a few years you want that king put the queen in a guest room.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:03 AM

67 posts, read 111,012 times
If someone leaves you a nasty rep, report them to the mods. You will still get the rep and they will be dealt with. No need to justify yourself to these people.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:35 AM

238 posts, read 1,957,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
PS - Someone gave me a "reputation" comment of: that's total BS that you can save up $50K to $100K in 4 or 5 years. If you make that kind of money then why don't you buy a house that's already dormered or just buy a colonial?
Hahaha the balls on some people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products