Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 08:44 AM

429 posts, read 852,763 times

Advertisements

This is likely going to sound like a stupid question, but I'm curious to hear what other home owners thought processes might be if they were in a similar situation.

We're first-time home buyers, in the process of purchasing a 4-bedroom, 2 (full) bathroom cape that is already rear-dormered upstairs with the doggy-dormers in the front. The current layout is two smaller bedrooms and a full bathroom downstairs and two larger bedrooms with a full bathroom upstairs. We have plans to dormer the front upstairs as well (within the next five years or so), to add another bedroom on one side, and put a master suite on the other side (poss. with additional master bath), so all the bedrooms would be upstairs.

Since it's just the two of us for now, with no kids on the way for at least another 4 years or so, we figure we can mostly live on the main floor. Even though the bedrooms are smaller, it will save in heating bills (upstairs is a separate zone) and cleaning time, as well as allowing us to occupy both bedrooms downstairs until we need more space upstairs, etc.

We are currently sleeping on a Queen size mattress (a really crappy Ikea mattress) that we desperately want to replace with a REAL mattress. We always thought we would upgrade to a King when we bought a house, but the bedrooms downstairs won't comfortably fit a king mattress in addition to other normal bedroom furniture, but it will fit a Queen.

So, FINALLY, my question to you is, which of the below options is what you would do if you were in this situation?

1) Buy a new QUEEN Mattress, use the downstairs bedroom until upstairs is dormered and then upgrade to a KING mattress, repurposing the previously-purchased Queen Mattress as a guest room bed (in the meantime, the existing IKEA mattress will be the guest bed).

2) Buy a new KING mattress and squeeze it (with all the other furniture) in the small bedroom downstairs, following the same plan as the above when the upstairs is dormered.

3) Buy a new KING mattress and just live upstairs, leaving one of the downstairs bedrooms empty, and use the existing (crappy) Ikea mattress as a guest bed (other bedroom downstairs) indefinitely.

4) Other (please explain)

I know this sounds like I'm over-thinking it, but a mattress is a big purchase and I'm just curious what other more seasoned home owners would do and why.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 08:52 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,686,193 times
A serta perfict sleeper queen from Macys sagging after 4 1/2 years.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:55 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times
I take door number 1

Old 05-23-2013, 08:59 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
A mattress is a major purchase if you opt for a $3500 (or more) mattress. I don't think anyone can really give an answer. If you need a new mattress then you should buy a new one. As for the size, that all depends on how you want to live. If you want to be cramped or have an empty room is entirely up to you. You can always use an empty room as a spare room/computer/TV/sitting room.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:03 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,752 times
Buy a King and live like a normal human.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:05 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
King size, no pillow top!!

Learned a hard lesson there on a $2400 mattress. Within 2 years is was sinking in the middle. Alot of people had the same problems with pillow tops.

Now I go firm, middle of the road mattress.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:23 AM

909 posts, read 1,836,456 times
Do you realize the cost of dormering a cape? You seem pretty ambitious but, if you are concerned with spending money on a bed, you should really look into what it is going to cost to properly dormer your home. Think 100k +.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
This is likely going to sound like a stupid question, but I'm curious to hear what other home owners thought processes might be if they were in a similar situation.

We're first-time home buyers, in the process of purchasing a 4-bedroom, 2 (full) bathroom cape that is already rear-dormered upstairs with the doggy-dormers in the front. The current layout is two smaller bedrooms and a full bathroom downstairs and two larger bedrooms with a full bathroom upstairs. We have plans to dormer the front upstairs as well (within the next five years or so), to add another bedroom on one side, and put a master suite on the other side (poss. with additional master bath), so all the bedrooms would be upstairs.

Since it's just the two of us for now, with no kids on the way for at least another 4 years or so, we figure we can mostly live on the main floor. Even though the bedrooms are smaller, it will save in heating bills (upstairs is a separate zone) and cleaning time, as well as allowing us to occupy both bedrooms downstairs until we need more space upstairs, etc.

We are currently sleeping on a Queen size mattress (a really crappy Ikea mattress) that we desperately want to replace with a REAL mattress. We always thought we would upgrade to a King when we bought a house, but the bedrooms downstairs won't comfortably fit a king mattress in addition to other normal bedroom furniture, but it will fit a Queen.

So, FINALLY, my question to you is, which of the below options is what you would do if you were in this situation?

1) Buy a new QUEEN Mattress, use the downstairs bedroom until upstairs is dormered and then upgrade to a KING mattress, repurposing the previously-purchased Queen Mattress as a guest room bed (in the meantime, the existing IKEA mattress will be the guest bed).

2) Buy a new KING mattress and squeeze it (with all the other furniture) in the small bedroom downstairs, following the same plan as the above when the upstairs is dormered.

3) Buy a new KING mattress and just live upstairs, leaving one of the downstairs bedrooms empty, and use the existing (crappy) Ikea mattress as a guest bed (other bedroom downstairs) indefinitely.

4) Other (please explain)

I know this sounds like I'm over-thinking it, but a mattress is a big purchase and I'm just curious what other more seasoned home owners would do and why.

Thank you!!

Old 05-23-2013, 10:43 AM

429 posts, read 852,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Do you realize the cost of dormering a cape? You seem pretty ambitious but, if you are concerned with spending money on a bed, you should really look into what it is going to cost to properly dormer your home. Think 100k +.
For what we're looking to do (front dormer only), it looks like it can cost anywhere between $50-$100k to do. And the only way we'll be able to save that much is by not spending frivolously between now and when we're ready to do it, which is why something like a mattress purchase for a couple thousand dollars needs to be thought-out, in my opinion. Do you disagree?

Old 05-23-2013, 11:06 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,570 times
Do not over think it, option 1, and its done.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:14 AM

909 posts, read 1,836,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
For what we're looking to do (front dormer only), it looks like it can cost anywhere between $50-$100k to do. And the only way we'll be able to save that much is by not spending frivolously between now and when we're ready to do it, which is why something like a mattress purchase for a couple thousand dollars needs to be thought-out, in my opinion. Do you disagree?
Front dormer only? That leaves you a very awkward house. Typically capes are dormered to look like colonials with full 8' ceilings in the upstairs rooms. The back of your cape doesn't have 8' ceilings and if it does than the roof is completely flat. If you are looking to make a box instead of a house than your front dormer idea will be fine. Think 100k + and a lot more taxes if you want a decent looking place.

A good nights sleep is priceless though so a couple grand on a mattress is money well spent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products