Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 01:06 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, I went to buy christmas cards, checked the back of the boxes, yep, some were actually made and printed in China... huh?

So I checked the back of some other boxes - those were boxed and printed in the U.S. - so I bought those.

Start small - make sure the christmas cards you are buying are made and printed in america this year.

Then try to buy other products made in the U.S. this year for your gifts. I don't know how successful I can be, but I am going to make a conscientous effort anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 08:16 AM

I was in target yesterday, as you might assume, NONE of their boxes of cards were made in us. All printed in china.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:18 PM

Lang cards and Leanin' tree cards are all printed in the usa. Both companies emailed me back about this right away.

There is also a company "masterpiece studios" that has many that are made in the u.s. (though not all)

American greetings/carlton cards -- boxed christmas cards that I saw are all printed in china. individual Cards on the shelf, are printed in the u.s. though.

Thomas kincaide - printed in china.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:29 PM

I got a reply from american greetings - I guess about 90% of the cards they make are printed in the united states. good to know.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:46 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
our state has a website of products made in our state. That might be a place to start if one is available in your area.
Not only will I be buying American I will also be helping our state economy.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:01 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
You can try buying all american but eventually people won't be able to afford it. American products are usually overpriced because americans expect to be paid top dollar for eveything they do.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:08 AM

Actually the price of everything in China is also going up and they are facing worker shortages now and the workers are becoming very particular about which factory they are working at.

Eventually China will become too expensive and the companies here that use china to manufacture their goods, will be going to another cheap country that exploits their labor force.

I can see why they produce some things in China that are labor intensive, but christmas cards? Come on... I deal with the printing biz all the time... can't see a reason for it. And believe it or not, many christmas cards are made in the united states still. So it is not that difficult to do.

I have been told that some companies look to china around holiday time because the demand is so great they literally can't keep up and they have to outsource some of the cards. But normally their cards are made in the u.s.

But then there are the "big boxes" who do it to shave pennies.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:47 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,771 times
Be sure to check out the cards made by Printery House. The Printery House - Christian Greeting Cards and Religious Gifts

Their Christmas cards are at Christmas

These are cards made by a printery house at Conception Abbey, a Benedictine seminary in rural Missouri. The designs are beautiful and the cards are well-made. You can almost always find them at church gift shops or religious bookstores. (Though you should look at independent religious bookstores instead of the chains like Lifeway.)

Old 11-11-2007, 06:25 AM

204 posts, read 774,008 times
Thank you for that site-the cards are beautiful and inexpensive.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,172 times
Default Christmas cards printed in U.S.A. here

Our cards are designed and printed in the U.S.A.! We have Christmas and everyday notecards and appreciate your business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products