Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 10:23 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
We carry our own anti-bacterial wipes with us in case the stores are out. And we only touch the handle of the cart, no other part of it. That wont get all the disease and parasite eggs that may be found on the carts but I'm sure it cuts the numbers back dramatically.

I have seen people drop apples, pears, peppers and other fruit on the floors in Grocery stores and return them to the shelves.
Some fruit spilled out of my cart onto the floor once and I dumped it in the nearest trash container. My husband said I should have turned it in to someone, but who wants to take that chance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Some people will believe anything.
Just like some people denying everything?

Old 07-19-2013, 10:28 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Some fruit spilled out of my cart onto the floor once and I dumped it in the nearest trash container. My husband said I should have turned it in to someone, but who wants to take that chance?
You throw fruit away instead of just washing it?

Old 07-19-2013, 10:35 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
My wife opened a bag of frozen stringbeans and with our beans we received a little protein, floppy ears, bucked teeth and a 3" tail, frozen solid just like the stringbeans. Yes, we did get our money back and then some.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswanlady View Post
I generally just assume that if I want to be a member of the world, that things are going to be gross and dirty even if they look clean, and the best I can do is keep my hands washed and NOT think about it. I'm not a huge fan of antibacterial-izing everything because I think it leads to a slippery slope into being a germaphobe (or, at least, it would with me). Now, I do use common sense -- I saw a small kid sneeze, wipe his face with his hands and then pick up a few apples and put them right back. Needless to say, I bought oranges that week.
People can go overboard. I had a neighbor with two little girls. They were never allowed to play in their backyard because they could get dirty. The mom changed their dresses at least twice, and sometimes three, times daily. She must have had a heart attack if she saw them petting a dog.

My 'thing' is that we should know what we are dealing with and then each of us can act accordingly. I have concern that some countries(England, for one) inspect every head of cattle and we do practically none. Some counties, if a cow has a serious disease, sacrifice the entire animal. We just cut the bad parts out.

I really am not overly concerned about supermarkets, which have been with us for a very long time.

We have an Asian run green grocer. One of the help was sneezing a lot, obviously working with a bad case of the flue. We bought their freshly cut fruit salad and both came down with it. We don't shop there any longer.

I went to a local Basics once and saw a produce clerk spraying the produce with Raid. The store did change management and that guy was no longer there.

Chinese couples with some money import their baby food and formula from Germany, not trusting their own food, yet we (the world) has had numerous recalls of food from China. Japan, to it's credit, will not import food from that country.

I read an article in a popular magazine stating tomatoes have been genetically modified to look nice and red, but unfortunately they have little flavor or aroma. Who knows what that does to the vitamin content?

I'm sure other people who are more knowledgeable can go on and on about this.

So, there are more serious issues than just supermarkets.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
You throw fruit away instead of just washing it?
If I turned it in to the store, do you think they'd have washed it? No, if food falls to the floor in my house, out it goes. Maybe you think I should send it to a third world nation?

Old 07-19-2013, 10:44 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
If I turned it in to the store, do you think they'd have washed it? No, if food falls to the floor in my house, out it goes. Maybe you think I should send it to a third world nation?
I think you just wash every piece of fruit or vegetable that you buy from a store before eating it. Throwing an apple away because it fell on the floor when still whole is an incredible waste of food. Do you think the floor is any dirtier than where the fruit was growing outside?

Old 07-19-2013, 10:52 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,343,911 times
Quote:
Which is why you should wash all produce (from store, farmers market or your back yard) before eating it.

That is pretty wasteful, IMHO

Old 07-19-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
Which is why you should wash all produce (from store, farmers market or your back yard) before eating it.

That is pretty wasteful, IMHO
Well, I don't usually drop things. I am usually careful.

I just rinse things off before eating or peel them, depending. So, crucify me. I'm human and not always consistent. I know that some people are adverse to soap on fruit and vegetables and I suppose the best way to clean them is to soak them in a quaternary solution made from grapefruit seed extract. I don't bother, but for those who like 'clean', it's a great solution:

https://www.google.com/search?q=grap...w=1144&bih=561

Old 07-19-2013, 04:49 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Nothing there that wasn't blatantly obvious. How about groceries (including meats and frozen items) that are returned and sit in a shopping cart for hours waiting for someone to restock them. My child and I like to look at the restock carts when we go to a particular store and see how many perishable items are headed back to the coolers/freezers at room temperature.
This should never happen. Anything that is left behind from dairy, meats and frozen gets tossed. In my store anyway. The ONLY items returned to the shelves would be boxed/canned items, cleaning and paper products, etc.. I am a cashier and I see people leaving GOOD stuff at my register without a thought and when I tell them it'll be tossed they are shocked. A $15 dollar roast beef?? Tossed?? Yes. I can't return any items until I get my breaks so they sit there and melt/get warm and then they are gone.

How do you know all those items are "headed back to the coolers/freezers..."? I'd be willing to bet you they aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products