Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 03:43 PM

7 posts, read 23,925 times

Advertisements

My wife and I give gift certificates to people who give them to us. One year, we gave and received the same gift certificate to the same store for the same amount. It's a bit silly, but it's one of those obligations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 12:03 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
I much prefer to receive a gift card than a poorly thought out gift. If I see another candle I am sure I will lose my mind.

I buy them, but I think about the end user & where they are likely to shop. My nephew loves Old Navy so he gets an Old Navy gift card. My friends who are in perpetual renovation get Home Depot or Lowes gift cards.

This time last year we were nearly destitute. Thoughtful people gave us gift cards for groceries.

They key to gift card giving is to be sure it is to a place that the person you are giving it to is going to use it. If you are unsure you can always get a Visa gift card.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:05 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
If you are unsure you can always get a Visa gift card.
I used to work at a bank where Visa gift cards were sold ... and yes, I mean "sold". There was a fee to buy the cards ($2 per card for people with accounts at our bank, $5 for everyone else). Plus we had to ask for a lot of personal information about the recipient (name & home address). Lastly, if the recipient decided they'd rather just have the cash & they took that Visa gift card to an ATM, the recipient would face ATM fees (I think $2 from Visa plus any additional potential fees from the owner of the ATM). All of this was automatically deducted from the card, of course.

The policy on the Visa gift cards may have changed, but that was definitely the policy at the bank where I worked 2 years ago. You're better off giving cash or writing a check then giving those things IMO.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:50 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
The only packages, gifts, I send are for the grandchildren--2 grandchildren! They get so excited about receiving packages in the mail that that in itself is worth it. For the rest of the family we send checks. It may sound cold to some but we live 3,000 miles from my family and getting the packages ready to ship ontime and getting something they will use is hard enough. Half the time they don't even have the same stores there so returns are next to impossible. With money they can go out and get what they want or need. Until I moved so far away we did the gift buying and that was fun but for us now it's just not practical.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,872 times
I just had lots of trouble using my Visa gift cards at a restaurant. Apparently, according to the Visa gift card customer service, many restaurants add 20% on to the bill in case the card doesn't go through and then the give the 20% back after a few days. So the first restaurant did add 20% (which I didn't know about and was not on the receipt) and I figure out how much was left on the card and it was declined as I had not subtracted the additional unknown 20%. So I ended up paying with my own cash and now find out why the card didn't work! I would never buy anyone a Visa gift card! Ever and restaurants should inform customers they are adding more onto the bill!

Old 12-30-2010, 06:48 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I wouldn't buy anyone a Visa card - I only give gift cards to stores that I know/presume/hope? LOL will still be around in the near-term at least.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:45 PM

415 posts, read 1,778,690 times
By that logic, the govt. should outlaw giving ugly christmas sweaters as gifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
They are starting a campaign today in the NY Times. They say retailers made $8B last year in unredeemed cards:

Consumer Reports Badmouths Gift-Card Industry - Advertising Age - News

Old 12-30-2010, 09:46 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Most tyime I founhd that it was the merchant when a visa card was rejected. I always give gift cards to stores i know the person likes. ts way better than some gift they didn't want really.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:00 PM

860 posts, read 2,204,040 times
On principal it seems like cash or a check simply makes more sense. But a friend has a birthday coming up and I am really tempted to get her a gift certificate to a nice local car wash. She drives a real filthy car, dirty carpets, empty bottles/cans, crumbs, misc. papers and other kinds of junk everywhere.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:58 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
I used to work at a bank where Visa gift cards were sold ... and yes, I mean "sold". There was a fee to buy the cards ($2 per card for people with accounts at our bank, $5 for everyone else). Plus we had to ask for a lot of personal information about the recipient (name & home address)..
I have seen fees as high as $4.95 per card (usually AMEX and some of the larger banks) and some as little as FREE.

If you get to the bank and they want to charge you THAT much, you can always walk down to the next bank.

I only buy gift cards when there is a discount involved. For example, a local restaurant sells $125 for $100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products