Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2007, 07:41 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,373,269 times

Advertisements

My wife and I went shopping over the weekend and decided to stop into a shopping center that is only partially completed, One week ago on Sunday was the grand opening of Dick's Sporting Goods on the northern outskirts of kingsport TN. We went in to look and possably buy gifts for our kids, it was very busy or so we thought. They have several pool tables and air hockey tables set up as demos but instead the locals were bringing their familys to play. The tables were completly destroyed in their first week, the felt was ripped in about 50 differant spots and pulled up making it impossable to roll a ball anymore. Kids and adults alike were laughing as they knocked balls flying off the table. One of the sales people said he'd never seen anything like it and appoligized for not haveing any pool cues left that were'nt either warped or broken. I think management and salespeople are intimidated by the rough crowd comming in from Bloomingdale that is made up primarily of trailorparks and run down shacks and known to be the domestic dispute capital of Kingsport. We walked through the other departments before we left and although the golf, skating and weight and boxing departments appeared in good shape the clothing was demolished, on the floor, wadded up and tossed on displays. I will not go back unless they make some major changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 11:06 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,270 times
You bring up a subject that has always confounded me. I have always wondered what it is about low income/poverty that excuses people from civilized behavior. Out in the countryside you see all kinds of trash strewn all over properties, abandoned cars, broken appliances, ruined toys etc. and in the cities it is much the same. Where is it written that if you're poor you have a free pass on common cleanliness? Middle class people don't put a useless oven, refridgerator or recliner on their front porches so why is it that you see that all the time in low income areas (along with cars up on blocks)? And that behavior you described at that sporting good stores is inexcusable. That's where the phrase, "trailer park trash" comes from, not from the lack of income or resources but from the behavior and general trashiness. There just is no reasonable explanation for that kind of behavior. I don't get it.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:22 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
I think that's so sad that there are people out there that actually think this kind of behaviour is OK and they seem to be passing it on to their children.
I was taught that if it isn't mind, don't touch it. And my kids were taught the same thing.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:27 AM

604 posts, read 4,620,598 times
The reason you don't see stuff littering the yard of middle-upper class homes is b/c they can pile all their useless crap into the GARAGE

I live in a new communtiy where everyone has 2 or 3 car garage, many of them can't park one car in there b/c of all the old crap the brought with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products