Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 09:29 AM

134 posts, read 495,369 times

Advertisements

I have purchased a few items from Ebay and have always been satisfied. I use a certain brand of skin care which is a great match for my skin but is a bit pricey. I have noticed that there are several listings on ebay for these products and at greatly reduced prices. The ads all say that the product is New in Box. I wonder how people can sell these items at such a discount. Are the products really genuine? I wonder so I usually order them at the regular website but then I ask myself if I am being dumb not to order them on ebay. So, my question is this ....who are the people selling these products, where do they get the products and are they genuine? I realize that most people are honest but I have heard some stories about scams on ebay.

Thanks in advance,
Joyce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 10:39 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Lot of the sellers buy the items via wholesale so it cuts out all the middle men that goes into getting the item to a regular store.
A ebay seller doesnt have to pay for someone in office to process the order, pay for someone in the shipping warehouse, delivery, product display, clerk at a register.
Less overhead you have better prices you will be able to give.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:13 PM

786 posts, read 1,176,422 times
I know with the hair products, a number of them are legit b&m vendors.. have access to the real mccoy via their b&m business, and any Ebay business reflects customers who would be totally unreachable in their local market. So if they can sell the product and make even $1 on it, that's $1 they would not have made otherwise.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:00 PM

4,739 posts, read 8,375,359 times
Alot of HBA items are pulled from differant retailers shelves as they change out product and ends up as salvage, you can purchase pallets of it in bananna boxes from warehouses around the country for $200 or so or around $14-$20 a bananna box depending on where the stuff is comming from.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:46 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
You can always ask the seller for the expiration date too. I buy all sorts of stuff on ebay and have never had a problem. Just deal with reliable vendors.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:54 PM

134 posts, read 495,369 times
Thanks to all who have posted. The next time I am in short supply, I will check out ebay and get it there. My wallet thanks you, too. Now, I can use the extra money to buy a bit ( tiny at that ) of gas!!!

Joyce

Old 11-20-2007, 03:42 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
A guy at work buys pallets of stuff from Big Lots even before they get it off the truck! He is making a ton on money on ebay!

Old 11-21-2007, 05:24 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Really? I have never really found much of anything at Big Lots. Maybe the ones in other states have better merchandise.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:54 PM

157 posts, read 479,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoycieM View Post
I have purchased a few items from Ebay and have always been satisfied. I use a certain brand of skin care which is a great match for my skin but is a bit pricey. I have noticed that there are several listings on ebay for these products and at greatly reduced prices. The ads all say that the product is New in Box. I wonder how people can sell these items at such a discount. Are the products really genuine? I wonder so I usually order them at the regular website but then I ask myself if I am being dumb not to order them on ebay. So, my question is this ....who are the people selling these products, where do they get the products and are they genuine? I realize that most people are honest but I have heard some stories about scams on ebay.

Thanks in advance,
Joyce
I buy certain beauty items on ebay too. I usually get anywhere from 30% to 50% or more off retail.

There's plenty of scams on ebay. I won't buy from sellers whose ratings are below 99.2%. Sellers who dip too far below that level usually have too many problems. Even then, I might skip sellers with high ratings if there are too many negs and unhappy customers.

If you haven't used this already, go to Toolhaus.org. Negative feebacks are conveniently listed on on page.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:55 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Really? I have never really found much of anything at Big Lots. Maybe the ones in other states have better merchandise.
Our local Big Lots has exceptional deals, and a wide variety of merchandise. Their staff is excellent as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products