Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 07:17 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times

Advertisements

I got my Sunday paper last week, and a really slippery, colorful ad pamphlet fell out. It was a Toys R US catalog with some must-have (apparently) toys for Christmas. A lot of them were big and really expensive.

My first thought was...OMG if I had kids, I would be so pissed. I'm sure many kids got this catalog, and just started foaming at the mouth and begging their poor parents for these expensive and in some cases impractical toys. I felt bad, because I grew up working class, and my parents did not buy me many expensive toys. This catalog seemed like it was full of stuff only for parents who were well off.

I mean, are you going to put a mini kitchen in a small house? No way, I guess the kid needs her own playhouse for that. Are parents that rich nowadays? Is Toys R US trying to give people a hard time by creating all of these "wants" in children's minds?

I visited Youtube tonight, and there was another HUGE ad...for Toys R US...ALL of the best toys for Christmas. SHEESH. Just in case the kid missed the FAO Schwartz (LOL) section of their print ad. I must admit that I was tempted to buy some of the toys...for myself, but I would feel like ***** if I were on a budget and these things were being shoved in my kid's face.

Parents. Did I over-react? Pls discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 07:24 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
All the other chain store publish special toy ads at this time of year. Tis the season.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:27 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
We spent hours pouring over the Sears and JC Penney catalogs when we were kids. It was fun and part of the season for us. Sure we would have LOVED everything we saw but we knew better...so do kids today. Yes you over reacted and if you didn't get the pleasure of doing the same as a young child, I'm sorry.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:32 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,990,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
We spent hours pouring over the Sears and JC Penney catalogs when we were kids. It was fun and part of the season for us. Sure we would have LOVED everything we saw but we knew better...so do kids today. Yes you over reacted and if you didn't get the pleasure of doing the same as a young child, I'm sorry.
I have those same memories! Folding over all the things I dreamed I wanted.....a barbie dream house and the corvette. The JC Penney catalog was as heavy as a phone book!

Old 11-14-2013, 07:33 PM

Perhaps. But Christmas should be about the birth of Jesus Christ...not expensive toys. I still feel bad.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:45 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Perhaps. But Christmas should be about the birth of Jesus Christ...not expensive toys. I still feel bad.
The Religion Forum is over there --------->>>>>>

Old 11-14-2013, 07:48 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
That ship has pretty much sailed in this country. I'm disgusted every Thanksgiving when people trample each other to get to the sales at the big box stores to buy a bunch of crap that's made in China.

No, I don't think Christmas catalogs are evil (or new). I used to look through the Sears catalog and circle what I wanted. I think the best people can do is set limits within their own family, and decide what is important to them, and how to celebrate with their family.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:12 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Christmas IS about the birth of Jesus. Along the way, especially with the advent of Santa Claus, the toy aspect became a huge part of the holiday.

Toys R Us is a BUSINESS, so its goal, whether you like it or not, is to make a PROFIT.

Yes, you overreacted. Do you also feel bad for the working class dads who can't afford all the expensive tools Home Depot advertises like crazy every holiday? Or lawn equipment they advertise with gusto every spring?

It's the exact same concept.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:15 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
some parents actually look forward to those catalogues as much as children. I had neighbors who gave the catalogues to their kids and asked them to circle a few desired items. they had a preset budget and made their purchases knowing they were getting something the kids really wanted. my 11 year old are pretty grown out of the toy stage but today I was in a mall and saw some really cute fisher price toys and looked at them wistfully. i loved playing with little people and little animals and making fun noises and pretend games. Now our girls want notebooks for christmas and that's about all. so guess we will bite the bullet since they don't have any electronic devices except a shared computer at home.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
some parents actually look forward to those catalogues as much as children. I had neighbors who gave the catalogues to their kids and asked them to circle a few desired items. they had a preset budget and made their purchases knowing they were getting something the kids really wanted. my 11 year old are pretty grown out of the toy stage but today I was in a mall and saw some really cute fisher price toys and looked at them wistfully. i loved playing with little people and little animals and making fun noises and pretend games. Now our girls want notebooks for christmas and that's about all. so guess we will bite the bullet since they don't have any electronic devices except a shared computer at home.
You can still get them for yourself. Fairy Garden!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products