U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 05:31 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,034,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I don't know because the news coverage the stores are getting that are not opening and are allowing their staff to have the holiday off is good advertising.
Pizza Hut must have realized that. You doubtless saw the article about the Pizza Hut manager who was fired for refusing to work on Thanksgiving and was then re-hired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 07:00 AM

5,763 posts, read 5,423,160 times
What about people who have no particular plans to celebrate Thanksgiving? I know plenty of people who are home alone, or just with a spouse...no extended family to speak of. Shopping might be a perfectly acceptable activity for them on a day off.

And also consider the low wage hourly employee. Being forced to take Thursday off without pay could be a real bummer.

I'm not arguing for stores to be open, but not everyone would be upset about it, either.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
What about people who have no particular plans to celebrate Thanksgiving? I know plenty of people who are home alone, or just with a spouse...no extended family to speak of. Shopping might be a perfectly acceptable activity for them on a day off.

And also consider the low wage hourly employee. Being forced to take Thursday off without pay could be a real bummer.

I'm not arguing for stores to be open, but not everyone would be upset about it, either.
There are two sides to every story, aren't there? Back home, a local department store manager had a solution. It was that year when stores were opening at midnight and running through the next day. I can't exactly place the time now but stores around the country were opening at midnight. The manager of this store gave his employees a choice. They could work from midnight onward if they wanted to or they could stay home and come in their normal hours. Those who did work the extra hours got double pay, which seems fair enough in that they had to cover for missing employees plus do their own jobs. No penalties on anybody who chose not to come in. They would receive their regular pay for their regular hours. It worked out fine.

This idea of being forced to work on a national holiday, though, just doesn't sit well with me. Home alone? I am home alone on both Thanksgiving and Christmas. It doesn't bother me one bit. Lots of good books here to read. Friends to chat with on the internet. time to catch up on little things I keep postponing the other days. And, you know what? Remember how phones used to get so tied up on the holiday? Do they still? Or, is it easier to phone through to family now - what with the internet or with much of the town out shopping?

Happy Day After, everyone. I also stay home alone on Black Friday. A bit of housecleaning needs doing.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:34 AM

5,406 posts, read 8,950,031 times
Smile Agreed agreed agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Agreed!
In 4 or 5 weeks, your item will be 40% off.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:50 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,919,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Three cheers for any store manager that can resist being part of the national greed pigout.
This is better than that. It was an OWNER....the guy who stands to lose the most, not just a manager who gets paid to work there. Huge difference.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:24 PM

7,881 posts, read 8,466,153 times
Im so tired of the "dont shop on Thanksgiving" movement. The wife and I were out shopping after dinner at a few places but we werent looking to stand in line for deals. We were just bored. Funny thing is that traffic was HORRIBLE. Obviously we were not the only ones out. We talked about the fact that once dinner is over and family splits, there is really nothing to do so you head out for a drive and window shop.

The flip side of that, is that I did retail for years and while my retail life ended before "open on Thanksgiving" started we still worked extreme hours. Everyone I ever worked for worked with people as much as humanely possible. For example if you had to show up at 5-6am to work Black Friday you got off by 12-1. If you came in late you worked late. It isnt like they beat us until we worked 15hr days.

I guess my point is, if you want to shop, shop. If you dont want to, dont but stop crusading against us who do.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:38 PM

10,994 posts, read 8,787,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Im so tired of the "dont shop on Thanksgiving" movement. The wife and I were out shopping after dinner at a few places but we werent looking to stand in line for deals. We were just bored. Funny thing is that traffic was HORRIBLE. Obviously we were not the only ones out. We talked about the fact that once dinner is over and family splits, there is really nothing to do so you head out for a drive and window shop.

The flip side of that, is that I did retail for years and while my retail life ended before "open on Thanksgiving" started we still worked extreme hours. Everyone I ever worked for worked with people as much as humanely possible. For example if you had to show up at 5-6am to work Black Friday you got off by 12-1. If you came in late you worked late. It isnt like they beat us until we worked 15hr days.

I guess my point is, if you want to shop, shop. If you dont want to, dont but stop crusading against us who do.
I partially agree with you. I'm glad for the movement because it lets the retailers know that a segment of their customers don't agree with this idea of opening on a holiday. I agree that the decision should be up to the customers whether they shop or not on that day. While their decision to open on that day is purely about profit, to me, responsible management would order the retail store to close the day before such a sale in order to prepare. They should bring in their stocking crew to get the store fully stocked and properly organized as well as ensure their stock room us ready. Once done, bring in the cleaning crews to get the stores ready. If the store has a roll up security gate, unlock the inner glass doors and then open the roll up doors.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:43 PM

21,845 posts, read 24,922,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
.... responsible management would order the retail store to close the day before such a sale in order to prepare. They should bring in their stocking crew to get the store fully stocked and properly organized as well as ensure their stock room us ready. Once done, bring in the cleaning crews to get the stores ready. If the store has a roll up security gate, unlock the inner glass doors and then open the roll up doors.
And you don't think that after most stores closed at 6pm Wednesday night that was exactly what happened that evening?

Old 11-30-2013, 04:59 PM

748 posts, read 1,445,315 times
I doubt anyone missed those stores on thanksgiving...who even shops at those stores anyone. Sears, they are even still in business? The stores that refused to open are the irrelevant ones. I'm pretty sure no one missed them while they waited in line with new tvs, new designer handbags, and new ipads. Who even cares about sears, marshalls, or tj maxx? I know i'd be embarrassed if someone caught me shopping in those stores. Shoot life in my town pretty much went on as normal on thanksgiving...restaurants was open so was all the shopping you could ever want. I have so much choice where I live, why would I ever choose to go to a no nothing store. I've got outlets, and basically any store I could want and about 5-10 locations of each some times more. I didn't miss them, but I never spend my money there any way. I feel that every thing should be open 24/7, all jobs no matter the holiday. It would create new jobs for those out of work, and every thing would be available all the time, I imagine the economy would improve since it would create so many new jobs. Few things stay open 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365. I just guess companys don't want to spend out the extra money, gotta love greed.

Last edited by CarolinaDreams; 11-30-2013 at 06:21 PM..

Old 11-30-2013, 05:25 PM

Everyone keeps talking about what the shoppers want. Shoppers can do as they please. How about the employees who really want to be at home with their families? I have talked with them here and there and most that I've heard from say they wish they didn't have to. Working people get so little time with family anyway. Then, as often happens at Thanksgiving time, relatives come in from afar and can only stay a day or two. Wouldn't they like to be with these people?

I still vote for making it voluntary. Everyone willingly doubling up knowing that their turn will come another time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products