U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2013, 02:54 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,202,519 times

Advertisements

Nowdays a considerable amount of people do their shopping on the Internet, with debit or credit cards. Is the potential compromise of personal information/card numbers a concern any more or has it been mitigated through better security measures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 03:43 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,754,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Nowdays a considerable amount of people do their shopping on the Internet, with debit or credit cards. Is the potential compromise of personal information/card numbers a concern any more or has it been mitigated through better security measures?
I've shopped online frequently since 2000 with no problems.

If I was worried, I'd use disposable debit or gift cards. I know a couple of people who do that.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:51 PM

4,711 posts, read 11,116,319 times
I don't think internet security is much better than it ever was....my credit card has been "compromised" at least a half dozen times in the last 10-12 years...as recently as last year. And I don't order a great deal of stuff online...maybe 15-20 times a year.

The credit card issuers, however, have gotten much better at spotting suspected fraud and declining the charge. They call me and ask if I made a purchase at such and such. Usually I didn't and they say, "we didn't think so and we are cancelling your card and sending you a new one". One time I asked why they suspected fraud and was told "one of the attempted charges was at Walmart.com and that automatically raises red flags". I don't know if that's because I have never made an online purchase from Walmart, or if that's frequently the first site that the crooks head to...

I don't use debit cards, but if I did, I don't think I would use them online...less protections with them.

Also, I've read that prepaid credit cards (Visa, etc) can be problematic online....something about no address being connected to them? Gift cards should be OK...seems like the company that issues them should know if they're valid.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:19 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,687,939 times
been shopping online since like '98

keep your computer virus/spyware free, dont use "free" neighborhood wifi, don't put annonimzer proxyies and other crap on your system

try to use credit cards instead of debit cards

and shop from legit secured sites like amazon, ebay, macys, etc

Old 12-07-2013, 09:46 AM

1,420 posts, read 2,701,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Is the potential compromise of personal information/card numbers a concern any more or has it been mitigated through better security measures?
Yes it is a concern but I just accept the risk in a trade off for convenience.
Besides, if you shop in the store, you're still providing CC information to someone.

We use paypal as much as possible. I don't know if that makes thing more secure but I don't have to whip out my CC and type in the numbers. (I'm proud that I use my CC so infrequently I don't have the number memorized.)

In the past five years our CC has been compromised two times. We're a family of six so we use CC several times a day - that right there increases the risk of being compromised. Fortunately, VISA somehow alerted us. I guess it has algorithms to sense unusual purchases - and that's what happened. Got a new card a day later BUT I had to go and update a few autopayment services (like trash, electricity, etc) with the new number. And, I didn't have to pay for the bogus transactions.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:00 AM

176 posts, read 521,735 times
If you are a victim of credit card fraud the amount of money you can lose is quite limited because of federal laws and credit card policies. So if you have a backup card (to avoid problems when your primary card is frozen) it's not a problem. I would strongly guess your loss rate of buying online with a credit card is going to be much, much less than your loss rate paying cash at brick and mortar stores (due to lost billfolds/purses, theft, robbery).

Old 12-07-2013, 12:33 PM

11,920 posts, read 6,512,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I've shopped online frequently since 2000 with no problems.

If I was worried, I'd use disposable debit or gift cards. I know a couple of people who do that.
I tried that once. Saw something on tv and tried to order online using one of those type of cards and got auto feedback, does not accept pre-paid cards. Don't need the item that much. It would have been nice but I then question their motives for turning down said card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products