Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 11:31 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Who is going to enforce it? The police? Security? the cashier?
It's a courtesy request. People should abide. But no one is going to enforce it, because it's bad for the business. They want to keep every customer - not make them angry.

Exactly. Wegmans doesn't enforce it, either. IMO, peer pressure by way of "the look" from others standing in line might have more of an impact.

As for the self-checkout lines, I love them. Until moms "teaching" their six-year-olds to scan items holds them up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 08:50 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
I was in Walmart last night...there was not many shoppers at all.

I had about 25/30 items...as I passed the line with the limit of items the cashier called to me and said she would check me out.

I took her up on her offer.....as I was just about finished another customer got in line.

I could not help but wonder if they would be posting about me today on CD......

Old 01-04-2014, 07:15 PM

48 posts, read 111,366 times
Went to Walmart a few days before Christmas, must have waited 30 minutes in the express line. Someone had to do a price check, or something. The regular lines were moving quicker.

The line is probably more of an honor system thing since it'd probably take longer to kick someone to the back, argue, and end up checking him/her out anyways.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:33 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I was in Walmart last night...there was not many shoppers at all.

I had about 25/30 items...as I passed the line with the limit of items the cashier called to me and said she would check me out.

I took her up on her offer.....as I was just about finished another customer got in line.

I could not help but wonder if they would be posting about me today on CD......
I do that when business is slow. I'll take anybody to stay busy! lol I had a good one yesterday though. And I didn't tell her to come to my register, she just did. I honestly didn't notice how many items she had but it was a lot after it all got put up there. I kept running out of bags. On top of that about half of her items were ad matches. In the meantime I've two, then three, people behind her and some left for another register. I didn't blame them and was glad when that one was done! If I remember right that lady had in excess of 50 items.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:07 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
The checker should have not checked her out, its on him.
Never worked in retail, have you?

Old 01-07-2014, 04:12 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Who is going to enforce it? The police? Security? the cashier?
It's a courtesy request. People should abide. But no one is going to enforce it, because it's bad for the business. They want to keep every customer - not make them angry.
You're exactly right...and...the customer is always right.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:17 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
Our two walmarts here won't enforce the handicap parking spaces or keep the greeters there to possibly stop shoplifters much less enforce the 20 limit lines. People are getting out of control with non respect for others.
It's not the stores' job to enforce parking laws. That's what the POLICE are for. Call them.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:42 PM

830 posts, read 1,666,371 times
I never saw "20 items or less" (or FEWER!) as something to be enforced. This is a social courtesy to your fellow shoppers, and a lesser extent, the cashier. Unfortunately most people are too self-absorbed to think about such a thing. The best method I've seen to enforce the limit is to make these register areas significantly smaller than the regular ones; for example at Walmart we have the short tables at the express lanes rather than the conveyor belt.

The check-out faux pas I have done repeatedly is to go to the cigarette/alcohol lane even though I do not intend to buy those items. I'm so used to shopping at night when that lane is the only one open.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:08 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayah(812) View Post
I never saw "20 items or less" (or FEWER!) as something to be enforced. This is a social courtesy to your fellow shoppers, and a lesser extent, the cashier. Unfortunately most people are too self-absorbed to think about such a thing. The best method I've seen to enforce the limit is to make these register areas significantly smaller than the regular ones; for example at Walmart we have the short tables at the express lanes rather than the conveyor belt.

The check-out faux pas I have done repeatedly is to go to the cigarette/alcohol lane even though I do not intend to buy those items. I'm so used to shopping at night when that lane is the only one open.
We DID have short counters on the 20 or less registers. Then they installed drink coolers and made them twice the size. I often have to go around and push the stuff forward because the customer won't/doesn't. I think they think we have a 'button' to move it all forward. Nope.

Anybody can check out in the tobacco line. You don't HAVE to buy tobacco to go through them. It's basically just another register but the only one that sells tobacco. Alcohol can be bought at ANY register.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:46 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
The self-checkouts are in some Walmarts but not all of them. I knew of one that had them but just like those hand-carrying baskets, they took them out.

Self-checkouts reason: one store rep said, people don't use them much. Hand-carrying baskets reason: told people steal them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Yeah, same thing at my local Walmart grocery store, the baskets keep disappearing ! Must take a really classy person to steal one of those. Probably using them for cribs.

Don
A major irritation for this shopper is stores that do not have a ready supply of the small hand baskets available. Quite often will be in a quick hit-and-run mode, with only a very small number of items needed, and do not wish to be burdened by a shopping cart, just want to get in and out as quickly as possible. Can be forced to search nearly all over the store for a basket, or worse yet, unable to find one. In this situation have three choices; take a cart, find the items and carry them by hand, or just turn around and leave. This no hand basket situation has been encounterd in just about all types of stores, grocery as well as general merchandise retail, including, of course, Walmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products