Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 09:34 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,003,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
Kudos Drover:

The funny thing is that these people seem to go back to Walmart over and over again. This one a few posts above says she was there just a few weeks ago. Why are they so drawn to a place they are disgusted by? They seem to root out the worst ones just so they can feel superior. Sad.

When I lived in Bullhead City, Az 2 years ago; I lived almost equidistant between an Albertson's and a Wal-Mart. The latter avoided like the Plague.

And; I rather resemble a stereotypical Wally World shopper in appearance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 10:28 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,925,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
You obviously haven't lived or shopped in the county I live in; we do not have rude greedy people looking for a deal....or shady people meeting at W-M!

Your condensing and cruel remarks are very inappropriate and uncalled for....these posts are not to put people down, please take a long hard look at your judgemental and demeaning attitude.
I believe the you meant CONDESCENDING, meaning to display a patronizingly superior atitude.

I'm just helping - not trying to be condescending.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:56 AM

932 posts, read 1,672,782 times
LMAO at post above...

Anyway...I like Target because they have better clothing items than Wal-mart. They stay up with trends and I like the Issac Mizrahi designs. They are cleaner and much easier to find what you are looking for. A cousin of mine worked in one over the summer and he liked it.

My grandparents shop at Wal-Mart and Costcos a lot as well as farmers markets and they are far from the types some are describing. My grandmother loves Wal-Mart! I only go there if I need things for my apartment like plastic bins, a toaster and microwave, cat and dog food...etc.
The Wal-Mart in Bowie, MD is not bad at all but the one near my apartment in Philly is terrible so it really depends on the area.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:52 PM

278 posts, read 907,899 times
From the WalMart site:

Our average hourly wage for regular full-time associates in the U.S. is $10.65 an hour, almost double the federal minimum wage.

Sounds fair enough to me. Even if it didn't, I have to shop based on my own salary...not the salary a store pays their employees. If I have to weigh out what retail/grocery/fast food establishments pay their employees before I feel I can do any purchasing...I would go insane. I'm not an uncaring person, I simply have to live within the budget of my own salary and take care of my family. WalMart works for me. Target works for me too....but only if I have extra money.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:58 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,365,015 times
Yes, but again you get what you pay for. What are you going to do when you buy some cheap toy and your kid gets lead poisoning?

Old 01-03-2008, 01:17 PM

278 posts, read 907,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Yes, but again you get what you pay for. What are you going to do when you buy some cheap toy and your kid gets lead poisoning?
I doubt WalMart is the only culprit of possibly poor or unsafe products....but I understand what you are saying.

Generally, I've been happy with what I've purchased there. Keep in mind that I don't drive out of my way to shop at WalMart....actually I would have to drive out of my way to shop elsewhere. It really depends on where you live before a person can out-rule shopping at WalMart. If you live in a rural area....the one-stop-shop can be VERY appealing.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,751,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Wal-Mart gets its toys from the same suppliers that provides toys to all the other major chains. Wal-Mart isn't the only retailer dealing with this problem. So is Target, Toys R Us, KB, etc. It's almost as if people think it's the act of putting a toy on a Wal-Mart shelf that makes it dangerous.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:08 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,365,015 times
Target at least carries many US made alternatives, many by American Made Plastics and a few other companies. Walmart does not.

If I have the option of buying the same toy Made in US or China and the one made in the US cotstsd $1 more, that's the one I'm buying.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:36 AM

2,303 posts, read 5,665,801 times
Personally, Wal-Mart is worse, but since Target's not open 24 hours, I don't get to visit that often.

The local Wal-Marts are always crowded, the produce is a joke, and people are so rude. They're always cursing, talking on the phone, or can't control their kids who are running around without regard to people who are trying to get in and get out.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:15 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,758,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ara^bess View Post
From the WalMart site:

Our average hourly wage for regular full-time associates in the U.S. is $10.65 an hour, almost double the federal minimum wage.
But they don't tell you what percentage of workers are "full-time".

My step-great-aunt works at Wal-Mart. She gets her hours cut all the time. Most cashiers are not full time. Same for stock people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products