Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 05:00 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times

Advertisements

I find that Target actually has nice things, a decent home goods department and even well-made and fashionable (Mossimo , for example) clothing.

otoh, I never buy very much in Walmart (cat food, sometimes).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 09:52 AM

20 posts, read 61,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I refuse to shop at Wal-Mart, though I have been into one once or twice. It was appalling. All those worried-looking people wearing vests. Everything I saw was made in China. It reminded me of a Costco for the developmentally disabled, or a Goodwill store that also featured groceries. Yech.

Target, on the other hand, is slightly more upscale. But all that Red affects my vision, and makes it dangerous to drive home, since the traffic lights become brown, biege, and chartreuse to me for a while afterwards, and I can't remember which color means stop.

So for me, it's a dead heat: I eschew Wal-Mart for aesthetic reasons, and Target because I'm afraid I might be rendered permanently color-blind.

You?
Don't worry we got rid of the vests. If you want red vests go to K Mart. Wal Mart we wear tan pants and blue shirts.

Shop where you want.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Wal-Mart is depressing. I have been to one here in Charlotte and one in Western Pennsylvania and they sadden me. The employees there are all useless and the people shopping at these two Wal-Marts made me want to shower immediately.

I find Target to be decent and think the one's that I have been to are clean and the people friendly. I am sure though that there are ones that aren't any good. To each their own.
Useless? You mean like not being able to tell you where something is located? Or not dropping another customer for you?

We can only do so much. This is a busy time of year for us so if you need help locating something and we are busy doing something else look at the signs located in the store. Also be patient if we are dealing with another customer. And if we are on a break or walking back to clock out please don't ask us where something is. If you don't see a badge it means we are not working and can not help you.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:07 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
Good one, yeledaf... actually DH works with a lot of foreign workers who are in an offshore facility for his company. They only can afford to buy 10 year old cars and are glad to have them... so the U.S. is competeing against that kind of thing. That is our future, if our politicians will have their way.

Actually for clothes I shop sears a lot. Target clothes truly s**k. They are the worst company for shrinkage - far worse than wm. Seriously. I bought a package of sox for myself. Just the target brand ones... which is pretty much all they sold. after the first wash I had to give them to my 7 year old daughter they shrank so much.

Hardware - generally ace hardware cause we can get in and out quickly and it is close.

I do like our supertarget store because the aisles are wide, store layout is better, not cluttered. Everyone there speaks english. They also have the archer farms line of food goods that is really quite good.

The wm by us looks like a bomb went off and no store help in sight. And the lines are horrendous. They wanted to put in a larger wm and the town declined. Actually it was because it would have messed up traffic horribly, and I commend the town for admitting it instead of just taking the $$ and running.

Decent sporting goods/camping equipment sections in wm though.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I think it fascinating that Target largely escapes the wrath that plagues Walmart. They have managed to adopt a trendy image. I suspect much of their stuff is manufactured in China, not that I really care.

What do Walmart employees get paid? Surely its over the minimum, no? Does it take expertise to shake hands at the door, stock shelves or operate the cash register? Should their wages be equal to the lawyer, dentist or graphic designer? Why do people get huffy about their wages but not those at McDs, CVS or Walgreens? Certainly they are similiar.

If I am traveling and I see a Walmart, I might pop in. I procure my otc allergy tablets, light bulbs and other sundries for substantially cheaper than even CVS. Is that a bad thing? Should I want to spend more?

I'd never buy any clothes or furniture there though. Bunch of crap.
We don't make much in fact I only bring home $400 bi weekly. And no door greeters don't stand around shacking people's hands. We hardly have time to greet customers. We have to scan returns coming in and check receipts going out and help loss pervention when needed. And their are also customers we have to deal with. Some of them are nice but most of them are nasty.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:08 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
Yeah, worked retail for years, it is brutal during the holidays. So shoppers, PLEASE be nice and give those poor workers a break.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:18 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
What do Walmart employees get paid? Surely its over the minimum, no? Does it take expertise to shake hands at the door, stock shelves or operate the cash register? Should their wages be equal to the lawyer, dentist or graphic designer? Why do people get huffy about their wages but not those at McDs, CVS or Walgreens? Certainly they are similiar.
I was hired in at $6.90/hr and when I left, it was around $8.25/hr. I was hired in as an Infant's associate and ended as a Customer Service Manager.

And I take a tad offense to the "expertise" of stocking shelves. I was part of the team that tried to make everything aesthetic. We'd actually get sample merchandise ahead of time, and decide where to move things and re-arrange them to most aesthetically appease our customers and make it easier to find what you want.

It takes a good eye and a lot of knowledge of product usage, safety, and pricing to maintain a department.

Also, it may not take a lot of "expertise," but I worked a heck of a lot harder for $6.90 than I do at my current job - which pays a LOT more. It's very mentally taxing to deal with people for 8 hours who generally hate/dislike your guts because you're a junky working a "low class" job.

Quote:
We don't make much in fact I only bring home $400 bi weekly. And no door greeters don't stand around shacking people's hands. We hardly have time to greet customers. We have to scan returns coming in and check receipts going out and help loss pervention when needed. And their are also customers we have to deal with. Some of them are nice but most of them are nasty.
Many of our door greeters were actually floor associates that got "stolen" from their position. Ever wonder why there is almost nobody on the floor to assist? They probably grabbed that cart you're using, greeting you when you came in the door.. or they're about to ring you up. Floor associates are so abused.

Quote:
So shoppers, PLEASE be nice and give those poor workers a break.
I never thought about the amount of work/hassle/crap that these people take on a daily basis. I understand that now, so I try to make up for it now.

Final Note: When it comes to Wal-Mart employees being junk. I used to work with a nice young lady. She worked 32 hours a week. She was also studying at EVMS to be a brain surgeon. So think twice about who you are rude or snooty to.

Personally, both companies are horrible. And by companies, I mean the people in charge. The general workers have no say in the rules.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:20 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,429,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I refuse to shop at Wal-Mart, though I have been into one once or twice. It was appalling. All those worried-looking people wearing vests. Everything I saw was made in China. It reminded me of a Costco for the developmentally disabled, or a Goodwill store that also featured groceries. Yech.

Target, on the other hand, is slightly more upscale. But all that Red affects my vision, and makes it dangerous to drive home, since the traffic lights become brown, biege, and chartreuse to me for a while afterwards, and I can't remember which color means stop.

So for me, it's a dead heat: I eschew Wal-Mart for aesthetic reasons, and Target because I'm afraid I might be rendered permanently color-blind.

You?
Walmart is much worse than Target, even though Target is more expensive.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:28 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Yeah, worked retail for years, it is brutal during the holidays. So shoppers, PLEASE be nice and give those poor workers a break.
I agree; I worked retail in college and it was a tough enough job without rude people making it worse by treating me like dirt. I'm always polite and courteous to retail clerks because everybody deserves to be treated with respect...even when they're short, surly, or just plain rude to me I try to give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they've just had a really crappy day where everyone else has been treating them like crap.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:08 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Target, for sure. They try to make it trendy and beautiful. NOTHING like Walmart. It's like saying "Do you want to go to Hell, or to the Bahamas?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products