Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a Company except broken goods during a reasonable amount of time after purchase without havin
Yes, you shouldn't need a service plan to return something that broke the next day 11 91.67%
No, you bought it without a service plan, it's on you even if it breaks the next day. 1 8.33%
Other: Explain 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 11:32 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,090 times

Advertisements

I picked up a Galaxy Tab 3 tablet from Best buy and the thing stopped working the next day. So I ran up to Best Buy today to exchange it and the Customer Service rep informed me that they no longer exchange items in store unless you buy the "Serves Protection Plan" for said device. He stated he would return it this one time but in the future I needed to purchase the service protection plan for devices. Otherwise, I would need to contact the manufacturer. I could almost understand if the device stopped working after 6 months but we're talking one day after opening said device. The Service Protection Plan for this particular device was $30.00! Thats about 15% over listed price.

Now for the record, I generally buy Service Protection Plans for our higher priced items like our 2-50" LCD TVs. It's just cheap insurance. I just don't worry about lower end items like $200 Galaxy Tablets. If an electronic device is going to break or not work, it generally does it sooner rather than later and you just take it back. Thus my issue, shouldn't a company accept returns if a device breaks in a reasonable amount of time after purchase? And do so without requiring the customer to purchase a Service Protection Plan?

FYI: I have been a BEST BUY loyalist customer every since the day they first opened a store in my area back home. I have bought computers, TVs, games, even had them install Satellite Radio in my old 93 Mustang. I'm what they consider a Preferred Customer. So it's not like I'm some random disgruntled customer looking to slam Best Buy.

So what say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 11:42 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Your local store is diverging from Best Buy corporate policy.

Return & Exchange Policy - BestBuy

Print and bring the policy with you the next time you have to return something, just in case.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:36 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Your local store is diverging from Best Buy corporate policy.

Return & Exchange Policy - BestBuy

Print and bring the policy with you the next time you have to return something, just in case.
OIC, I thought the company as a whole was changing it's return policy.

Thanks.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:39 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,890 times
If that's really the Best Buy policy, then I would never buy anything there again. It's really just that simple.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:06 AM

22,590 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
If that's really the Best Buy policy, then I would never buy anything there again. It's really just that simple.
It isn't, so you're okay.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:58 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,141,570 times
I did this last year with a router that crapped the bed after a week. They told me pretty much told me I needed to take the issue up with the manufacturer. I did take it up with the company that made the router and they said to return it to the retailer (Best Buy).

Best Buy wanted to argue until I asked them if they knew what a charge back was.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I am kind of natural as its really a manufacturer issue unless the person breaks it. On electronics its always best to know the policy on returns. Wal Mart has a very liberal policy which has spoiled many on manufacturers responsibility of handling it for customer.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:09 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
State laws generally have a lemon law or something similar to follow the UCC. If you are sold a defective product, you have a set number of days to return it. I would have been less than kind to that Best Buy droid... and I have a voice that can carry enough to handle a crowd of a thousand people without amplification if I want to use it. Everyone in the store would know my dissatisfaction.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:46 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
glad I don't shop where you do. But here you would be seeing a police office and be given a no trespassing notice .Might want to look up lemon laws as all I know govern manufacturers and customers; not sellers.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:15 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
Back in the late 90's I bought an eMachine computer from my local Best Buy. It stopped working one week later and Best Buy refused to exchange it for another one. I had to contact the corporate office in order to get the local store to give me a replacement. As a result of how the local Best Buy location treated me back then, I'd never buy another item there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products