U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 05:54 AM

9,184 posts, read 20,121,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
I work in retail and I had a situation yesterday in which I was not sure what to do. Here was what happened:

Customers approaches me with her receipt and said something was rung up incorrectly. She had already waited in line for a long time and wanted me to expedite the process by allowing her to go to customer service immediately. She didn't want to wait in the long line at customer service which probably had 7-8 people. I understand it was our mistake in not having the sale price ring up, but what if other people in line had to come back for the same reason. It brings me back to a situation I had about a year ago where a computer froze and I wanted to move some customers to another line who had been waiting for an extremely long time. A woman in the other line flipped out and left because I asked if one person with a few items could go in front. So, what would you do? Allow the customer to "cut" everyone because of the mistake and risk others becoming angry or immediately help her.

Luckily, we had someone open up a service register, so I just told her to go there. Technically, she "cut" everyone, but I thought it was the right decision. What do you think?
She could've waited in line just like everyone else...if she wanted to be at the front of the line, she should've left her house earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 12:44 PM

36,769 posts, read 11,303,729 times
Quote:
Luckily, we had someone open up a service register, so I just told her to go there. Technically, she "cut" everyone, but I thought it was the right decision. What do you think?

If you polled a group of customers at any establishment, you'd probably find that this is the number one complaint among shoppers. I, myself, hate it when there's a long line anywhere and a new cashier arrives only to bellow, "Can I help someone here?" instead of saying, "I can help who's next."

Old 12-31-2013, 08:34 PM

802 posts, read 1,421,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
If you polled a group of customers at any establishment, you'd probably find that this is the number one complaint among shoppers. I, myself, hate it when there's a long line anywhere and a new cashier arrives only to bellow, "Can I help someone here?" instead of saying, "I can help who's next."
When I used to work as a cashier, I always made it clear that I wanted to help whoever was next. I usually didn't put on my light and walked to the adjacent lines and told whoever was next that I was opening. Sadly, people in the back often notice that you're opening just by seeing you walk to the register so it's almost inevitable that someone will get pissed off.

Also, I seriously think half of you misunderstood the situation I described. The customer waited in the checkout lane for a long time because it was busy, and then noticed something was rung up incorrectly AFTER leaving the line. Therefore, to get the appropriate price adjustment, she would have to move to the customer service line (which was also long). I hope that's clearer. I still think that those were right in saying it's wrong for her to go to the front of the customer service line.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:21 PM

18,760 posts, read 56,104,079 times
Your situation is one where the store practices work against you. In most of the grocery stores around here, the head cashier has the power to void a sale and make whatever correction (on the customer side) is needed. The cashier simply calls for a manager or head cashier, that person swipes an override card and the problem is resolved for the customer. Back-room changes happen later.

Your posts have reminded me to check receipts more carefully. I got dinged at Walmart on a small sale item recently and didn't catch it until later. That store seems to have the most database errors, and is one reason I avoid shopping there unless I must.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:30 AM

9,184 posts, read 20,121,759 times
Quote:
When I used to work as a cashier, I always made it clear that I wanted to help whoever was next. I usually didn't put on my light and walked to the adjacent lines and told whoever was next that I was opening. Sadly, people in the back often notice that you're opening just by seeing you walk to the register so it's almost inevitable that someone will get pissed off.

Also, I seriously think half of you misunderstood the situation I described. The customer waited in the checkout lane for a long time because it was busy, and then noticed something was rung up incorrectly AFTER leaving the line. Therefore, to get the appropriate price adjustment, she would have to move to the customer service line (which was also long). I hope that's clearer. I still think that those were right in saying it's wrong for her to go to the front of the customer service line.

my response is still the same...she should wait at the end of the customer service line even though she jut left the cashier lane. She's no better than those already waiting in line and shouldn't get special treatment. Do I like having to wait another 20 mins when this happens to me? No, I dont', but I don't make a stink and I dont' expect to be moved to the front of an already waiting line of people.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:45 PM

40,211 posts, read 49,516,451 times
quote: Also, I seriously think half of you misunderstood the situation I described. The customer waited in the checkout lane for a long time because it was busy, and then noticed something was rung up incorrectly AFTER leaving the line. unquote

The correct procedure would be to immediately apologize, correct the stores mistake, and let that customer back in front since the customer already waited their turn. The correction shouldn't take very long.
I've seen that happen many times, most courteous waiting customers will not be offended and understand the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products