Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 10:34 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,601,744 times

Advertisements

I've been a member for 13 years... since 2000. I have over 200 feedback, 100% positive. Around 1/4 of my transactions are with me being the seller. I'm not a heavy user but still average around 15 transactions a year. It's been a year or so since I sold any items.

I bought an Xbox One a couple weeks ago and decided to sell my Xbox 360 on Ebay.

It sold for roughly $200.

No response from bidder. No payment. My mistake was putting a Buy it Now and the winning bidder had a feedback rating of 2. I wasted 2 days "giving the payer time to pay" then another 4 days "in Ebay resolution." After 6 days the transaction was cancelled and seller fee refunded. To my surprise, I went to leave the buyer negative feedback and I couldn't. REALLY? It's ok for buyers to leave sellers negative feedback but not vice versa? So they waste 6 days of my time and all that happens is a "non payment report" on their account?

So I listed it again... this time a 3 day auction without any buy it now option. It sold again for close to $200... no response from bidder. No payment. Wasted another 6 days before the transaction was cancelled and seller fee refunded.

So the 3rd time has to be the charm right? I listed it again, another 3 day auction. It had 25 watchers and bids from 10 different members, and sold last night. After about an hour the winning bidder (with a feedback rating of around 150 but no Ebay transactions in over 2 years) emails me and says "Do you have any games with it?" Uhhh... Did you read the auction? The auction was for the complete system in original packaging. There were no games included.

He then emails me back about 10pm and says he'll send payment in a few minutes. That was 11 hours ago. I am about ready to tear my eyes out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 10:36 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
I quit selling on Ebay and buying as well a couple years ago and don't miss all the fees and buyer issues that goes along with it.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I quit selling on Ebay and buying as well a couple years ago and don't miss all the fees and buyer issues that goes along with it.
I'm really beginning to agree with you.

Not 2 minutes ago I got an email from the buyer... here's a paste of the text.

I'll pay you at the latest on Monday. I'm a really serious buyer. You can check out my reputation. It's close to 200 points. I have to go into the bank tomorrow and fix some things. This means that you should be getting the money in the afternoon. Have a blessed day.

I wish I was making this up but I'm not... what a nightmare.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:00 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
I still like eBay as a seller. The low fees are hard to beat.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:08 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,407,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
I'm really beginning to agree with you.

Not 2 minutes ago I got an email from the buyer... here's a paste of the text.

I'll pay you at the latest on Monday. I'm a really serious buyer. You can check out my reputation. It's close to 200 points. I have to go into the bank tomorrow and fix some things. This means that you should be getting the money in the afternoon. Have a blessed day.

I wish I was making this up but I'm not... what a nightmare.
Nightmare is right! Sheesh!
Being a cynical type, I usually consider the term 'have a blessed day' to be a precursor for some sort of after-sale-partial-refund negotiations. Such as "Oh, I thought it came with games, and this is for homeless orphans at the Church shelter. Can I get a partial refund because now I have to go buy games for it?" or... (since he mentioned bank problems) "Oh, my bank will only transfer $100 to my PayPal account. Will you accept $100 now and the balance in (never) 30 days?"
When you ship it, I recommend you add signature confirmation.
I hope it goes well for you - electronics are a bear to sell on eBay.
If you have to relist it again, you might want to choose: Immediate Payment Required. So the item will remain for sale until the buyer pays.
Good luck!

Old 12-30-2013, 08:30 AM

22 posts, read 39,897 times
I also stopped selling on Ebay about 5 years ago. I had my own shop for over 10 years. The fees just became unbearable. As usual big business ruined it for the little people. =(

Old 12-30-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchoNan View Post
Nightmare is right! Sheesh!
Being a cynical type, I usually consider the term 'have a blessed day' to be a precursor for some sort of after-sale-partial-refund negotiations. Such as "Oh, I thought it came with games, and this is for homeless orphans at the Church shelter. Can I get a partial refund because now I have to go buy games for it?" or... (since he mentioned bank problems) "Oh, my bank will only transfer $100 to my PayPal account. Will you accept $100 now and the balance in (never) 30 days?"
When you ship it, I recommend you add signature confirmation.
I hope it goes well for you - electronics are a bear to sell on eBay.
If you have to relist it again, you might want to choose: Immediate Payment Required. So the item will remain for sale until the buyer pays.
Good luck!
9pm tonight will be 48 hours since auction end and I can send the auction to the resolution center. I'll then have to wait another 4 days and then can cancel and get my fees refunded.. assuming he doesn't pay.

I sent him an invoice again yesterday and he claims he will pay the full amount by 10am. If it's not here by noon I'll be emailing him a final time to thank him for wasting my time and will relist it later in the week using the immediate payment option.

I've never really had a problem selling on Ebay before... until now. Is it because it's Christmas and everyone is broke? LOL

I'll tell you that a lot has changed... you can no longer leave negative feedback to buyers. REALLY? Why is that?

At any rate, I don't anticipate selling anything else for a while and if I do it probably won't be on Ebay. The fees are a bit high. I've sold roughly $450 worth of electronics in the past couple weeks and been charged about $50 in fees by Ebay.

I consider that excessive... especially with all the BS I've had to go through lately with buyers that don't pay and waste 6 days of my time.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:10 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,652 times
Wow that's an ordeal. I've been an ebay user for about 10 years, mostly buying, but I did sell maybe ~20 or more things one year. I tried to take advantage of their no listing fees they had sometimes.

Good luck. Have you tried Craigslist?

Old 12-30-2013, 11:58 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
I prefer the old tried and true garage sale, it is actually less work and hassle without the packing, shipping, postage fees, ebay fees and aggrivating, irresponsible buyers and sellers.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Wow that's an ordeal. I've been an ebay user for about 10 years, mostly buying, but I did sell maybe ~20 or more things one year. I tried to take advantage of their no listing fees they had sometimes.

Good luck. Have you tried Craigslist?
Yeah I had the free listings and saved $0.55 on each auction... that's not what I didn't like though. It was the $21 fee on a $210 sale. Have Ebay final value fees always been 10%? I thought they were lower at one time.

At any rate, the payment came through around noon and I just shipped it. FedEx ground to Portland, OR delivers next day for $20... and he paid $40 shipping so I'm good.

The next time I go to sell I will probably try Craigslist. Will probably be less of a hassle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products