Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 08:37 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Didn't realize we had the CFO for Amazon on our forums.

I find it quite remarkable that with the cost of everything going up these days, that you can unequivocally state that their rate increase is due to "pure greed." That's quite remarkable - everything is getting more expensive for everyone except Amazon. That's quite a bubble they're in, eh? Maybe you can tell me how to create my own costs-never-go-up bubble. That would be very, very useful.
If you read this article: Why Amazon Prime Could Soon Cost You Next to Nothing | Wired Business | Wired.com

"Amazon makes so much money off Prime customers, according to a new report, that the company could drop the fee by dozens of dollars and still come out ahead."

This article indicated that Amazon could have charged nothing for Prime.

If people thinks it's worth paying $20+ more for the same service so be it. The market will determine if this is acceptable or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 08:38 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
Well, Amazon knows we want it, and knows many will pay the increased price.

Between my wife and I, we receive 2-3 deliveries a week from Amazon. We are Amazon whores Free delivery and next day shipping is worth $120 a year to us.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:44 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
I did the Prime 30 day free trial when I moved and was buying stuff for my new home. And still didn't buy enough to warrant the savings I would get with a paid membership.

Guess I'm just not much of a buyer. I do love Amazon, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Prime will not save you from the Smartpost/Surepost stuff. I had a an item be shipped that way and was late. Complained saying it was their fault because they used such a service. Got $5 credit. Woo. Really would have been better if package arrived on time (was a Friday so delay became all weekend because it was shipped to the office).
Is there anything on earth less reliable than SmartPost?

Nope!

They should pay people to use it.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:07 AM

113 posts, read 136,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet*Tea View Post
How do you complain? I had something late one time (I'm a prime customer....just joined a couple of months ago) and couldn't figure out how to contact them. I was trying to find a number to call but couldn't find it.

There's a link in "contact us" that's not easy to find. Here's the email address that responded so this might work for you:

cs-reply@amazon.com

Make sure you put the order number in the Reference space.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:11 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Is there anything on earth less reliable than SmartPost?

DHL Ground.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:54 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,408,583 times
All good points, and thanks for posting that Wired article vision33r I hadn't seen that.

Thing is, buying a product offered with Prime already costs more. Do any search for a product at Amazon and in most cases, when you click through to the list of offers, you will see the Prime offerings at the top (sorted by price + shipping). The prime offer will cost $20.00, and the one right underneath from a 3P seller will cost $15.00 + $5.00 S&H.

Of course that's not always the case, and I'm sure anyone can find exceptions, but my point is - you are already paying for shipping. The $80/year is just to get it to you a couple days faster.

Like I said, I am a big Amazon customer, and I will continue to buy from them because of where I live, and there are some things I just can't get at the closest shopping center which is a 100 mile round trip. But I will cancel the Prime membership if the cost increases, and just go with their free-shipping of $35.00 per order (or whatever it costs now), and get my order in a week instead of in 3 days.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:03 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,617 times
I only use it for buying Christmas presents and streaming so I will not continue.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:05 PM

16 posts, read 29,564 times
I speculate that they are considering the price raise, at least partially, as a way to fund the development of their own comprehensive shipping division. This announcement comes on the heels of a holiday season where shippers that Amazon depended on failed them on numerous occasions.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:25 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
DHL Ground.
Indeed. How could I have forgotten about them?

Old 02-03-2014, 02:43 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake17 View Post
I speculate that they are considering the price raise, at least partially, as a way to fund the development of their own comprehensive shipping division. This announcement comes on the heels of a holiday season where shippers that Amazon depended on failed them on numerous occasions.
Delays which were caused by bad weather, which would negatively affect an Amazon shipping division as well..........even if they were using their drones. LOL

Could a drone keep flying if it was covered with ice?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products