Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 10:45 AM

255 posts, read 407,104 times

Advertisements

I do love shopping, but mostly when it's online. I have social anxiety and so going to a mall or a store terrifies me. I'd love to be able to do it, and sometimes I will force myself to because for clothes you need to try them on. However, most of the time I do it online. Although I still feel that excitement when all my parcels come. The one store I shop at quite a bit for clothes just sent me a huge package of spring clothes. I know my size there, so I don't have to worry about that. Although if I want clothes from Old Navy (I love their jeans) I have try them on. Sometimes jean sizes are different even if they're the same. I think it depends on if their normal or skinny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 11:10 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,217 times
I dislike the practice because while I'm not super impatient retail is just horrible. When I shop no matter where the slowest retail checkers are there and the lines are always long. I can be in freaking Dillards and be in line with 3 blouses and some jeans for 15 minutes.

It's ridiculous so I tend to shop like 1 hour before store closing when less people are there so I can get in and get out.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:41 PM

551 posts, read 582,486 times
I love shopping for clothes and make-up mostly, and sometimes shoes. I've never been too excited about handbags/purses. The fun of it for me is hunting for cute, flattering items for a good price (usually shop with coupons or on "sales" days). Unfortunately my hobby has caused a lot of overflow from my closet but I still enjoy it especially this time of year, end of winter/spring sales are the best! I always buy my winter coats in March, at an 80%+ discount. I buy classic styles and colors so they work for the following winter.

Sometimes I won't shop for months on end, if my anxiety is especially high or money is tighter. My anxiety is such that I don't really mind moderate-size crowds but I always have this fear that I will run into an acquaintance. I also hate really crowded areas with harsh bright lighting (like Wal-mart, my least favorite store). I imagine those reasons or similar resonate with others as well, nothing to do with being too "fat" or broke.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:16 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostoneunturned View Post
Sometimes I won't shop for months on end, if my anxiety is especially high or money is tighter. My anxiety is such that I don't really mind moderate-size crowds but I always have this fear that I will run into an acquaintance. I also hate really crowded areas with harsh bright lighting (like Wal-mart, my least favorite store). I imagine those reasons or similar resonate with others as well, nothing to do with being too "fat" or broke.
Wow. I thought I was the only one like that. Sometimes when I see someone I know and I don't want to talk to them (which is most of the time), I'll pretend I don't see him/her at all. My gregarious sister thinks I'm being rude and I should be friendlier. Fortunately, I live in a big city, so I rarely see people I know when I'm shopping. Walmart is not fun at all. I only go there a few times a year, when I have to get something right away that I can't order online or get at the grocery store. It has everything I dislike about shopping and more.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:31 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I went to JC Penney today to buy shorts. I'd put off shopping for shorts so long my husband told me that the shorts I owned were now looking like undies Idk if anyone has been in that new layout JC Penney has, but it sucks. There's this giant makeup section smack in the middle of he store, and all the women's clothes surround it like an O, and there are no directions anywhere. It's as confusing as trying to find a specific furniture item at IKEA. I'm not going back there again. And why do these stores want you phone number and email address to buy anything? Probing me for information just to make a purchase is a great way to scare me off as a customer.
The last time I was in JCP it looked like a hot mess in there. But then again, I haven't been to the Macy's in my area in years because the store looked like it was vandalized every time I went in there - clothes thrown all over the dressing rooms, just terrible. When I do go into a store to purchase clothes, I like it to be neat and organized. I sometimes wonder if some of these places actually want customers!

Old 03-29-2014, 02:54 PM

370 posts, read 624,364 times
I dislike shopping because there's really nowhere to buy quality merchandise in the stores. Even high end stores have left me disappointed. I will not buy plastic clothes, I like to buy items that are all-natural fabrics so we're talking cotton, linen, wool, and leather. It's very hard to find anything in stores that is 100% anything. It seems lycra or polyester is added in,even if only a small percentage. I also prefer to buy items made in the USA which is virtually impossible to do these days at the mall (sad, I know) so I end up finding the items I like online. Lastly, I hate shopping because customer service is severely lacking these days. Sales people know absolutely nothing about their product for the most part. If you shop very high end this becomes less of a problem but whatever happened to mid-range clothing and shoes? Nowadays everything is dirt cheap and plastic or super duper expensive.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:37 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Shopping is not a waste of money, if you know what to buy and the best time to get it.

I stocked up on men's shorts and muscle tees for summertime already, and bought them for a very low price . The quality of material is also very comforting and trustworthy. Size does not matter for me, as long as the clothes fit well.

I just don't understand why dress size is such a big issue among women . They sell big dresses and tops.....for big gals. Not every woman who wears a double digit size is obese and unhealthy. Ladies, stop obsessing so much over clothing sizes.
Adi, it has nothing to do with "obsessing". Clothing sizes were once standardized so that Size (whatever) was the same, regardless of manufacturer. Then, outsourcing began and every little factory in foreign countries made garments to suit themselves. Case in point: I have two shirts. They are identical in style, manufacturer, construct. The only difference is color - one is white and one is navy. The navy one fits me quite nicely and has been washed several times. I wore the white one for the first time today and the bloody thing is too tight!! When I purchased the shirts, I tried on the navy one and it was fine. Didn't think I'd have to try on the other.

So I'm not obsessing over the size. I'm obsessing over the lack of uniformity. That is all.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:47 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
I hate shopping with a passion and avoid it at all costs. I have zero interest in squandering my resources (time, energy, money) on acquiring a bunch of decorative non-essential gee-gaws, either for my person or for my home. I want sturdy, functional, comfortable goods, and I do not want to waste time searching for them. My ideal "shopping trip" involves going to the store when nobody else is there, walking straight up to the object I want, paying for it, and leaving as quickly as possible.
This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat1105 View Post
I think it might be an age thing. I liked it when I was younger and needed things. Now I'm trying to get rid of stuff. I much prefer online shopping now; I can find EXACTLY what I'm looking for without a lot of contact with the general public.
and this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
OP here. <snip>

Regarding crowds, I definitely prefer there not to be crowds, but I can be out in them without some kind of panic attack or something. If I go to a place that I know tends to be crowded, if I can go on a regular old Monday rather than a Saturday, I will for sure!

I like the feeling of wearing something nice & looking good...not to be confused with "hate shopping = not looking good". * It's how one feels about him or herself. I like looking well put together. To me, a woman can be trim, have a nice outfit on, but if there's not a stitch of makeup, it looks like something missing.

I do like wearing stylish clothing. You know how you can look at a person & tell they probably haven't shopped in years? Well, I don't want to look like that. * But hey, if they're happy with how they look, that's great. More power to them.

I had a very serious ankle injury several yrs ago & so I cannot wear too high a heel of a shoe. In the back of my mind, I wish it wasn't so, but I don't obsess over it.

I like going to a mall as soon as it opens on a weekday & shop for a few hours. But yes, I enjoy online shopping too. I've even gotten shoes online, but it's a comfort brand that I know will feel good.
People get older, we mature in different ways depending on who we are as people and our life experiences. Speaking for myself, I am not necessarily happy with how I look but rather very content with how I look. I feel as if I have earned the privilege to respect myself, where I've been in life and where I'm going and how to dress for any event, casual or otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Never really enjoyed shopping for clothes or shoes...even when I was younger. I think my lack of interest stems from being the youngest of six and always getting hand-me-downs. Rarely did I get to pick what I wanted, so I lost interest in shopping a long time ago. Money was tight growing up with such a large family. Little emphasis was placed on fashion/appearance other than looking presentable. I've never been into wearing jewelry either. Purses, I buy one and when it breaks, I buy another. If I find one I like, I buy a few in different colors.

I do however, love to see a well put together person and admire their style/taste. If I know them, I will pay them a compliment--secretly wishing I cared about fashion/appearances as much as they seem to.
Just curious, but what's stopping YOU from being that woman you're vicariously wishing to be? Don't you want to look as good as you possibly can? Again, no one confuse my words. If someone believes they look good & they're happy, even if others don't think they look good, more power to them. But, since you say you secretly wish you cared more, there's nothing stopping you! Life's way too short not to look the way YOU want to! [/quote]

Foe me, I think that caring about fashion and appearances are a different matter than wishing to be like someone else.

Anyway, we're all different and I respect everyone's right to enjoy doing what suits their lifestyle and their place in this world...as I am sure most of us do.

Best regards,

HomeIsWhere...

Old 03-29-2014, 04:25 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Adi, it has nothing to do with "obsessing". Clothing sizes were once standardized so that Size (whatever) was the same, regardless of manufacturer. Then, outsourcing began and every little factory in foreign countries made garments to suit themselves. Case in point: I have two shirts. They are identical in style, manufacturer, construct. The only difference is color - one is white and one is navy. The navy one fits me quite nicely and has been washed several times. I wore the white one for the first time today and the bloody thing is too tight!! When I purchased the shirts, I tried on the navy one and it was fine. Didn't think I'd have to try on the other.

So I'm not obsessing over the size. I'm obsessing over the lack of uniformity. That is all.
I really don't observe that with my jeans and shirts. I typically buy size large for shirts, and 34 Waist / 32 height for jeans sold in US stores. 90+ % of the time this size fits me well.

Though, I used to shop for clothes and shoes in India as well. Their size XL is in between the american size M and L, which is kind of my perfect fit. Also, my ideal size is 36 for pants made in India. While buying shoes in India, I also remember to go up 1 size for a perfect fit. Just stuff to remember the next time you buy, since a good percentage of clothing garments are made there. Hope it helps

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 03-29-2014 at 04:35 PM..

Old 03-29-2014, 04:39 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Shopping is not a waste of money, if you know what to buy and the best time to get it.
It is if you are buying what is "in" for that season, or buy what you don't need, or go into debt because of your wants, or if you shop because you are bored.

Value and quality shopping is not a waste if you are going to use it. I still don't like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products