Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 10:13 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

Whenever I buy anything, I do a lot of research, read reviews, etc. Usually when I buy appliances, I stick with Kenmore because they are usually good products with good reviews. Now, I am shopping for a new washer & dryer. We were in Sears the other day and I was looking at a set but decided not to buy then because we are really not ready yet-but will be in a couple of weeks. I am glad that we didn't buy because when I came home and looked up the models on-line, the reviews were not that great. So, I am continuing to look and not having much luck. I hope people here can help me.

Here is what I am looking for: Top load washer. (I will NOT have a front loader-HATE THEM, HATE THEM, HATE THEM!!!!) I like the new ones that don't have the middle agitator because there is more room. But, I'm not too sure how good they are-if anyone has had experience with them, I would love to hear how you like them. The dryer has to be electric.

Both need to be about mid-range in terms of size & cost. And they MUST be white. (I HATE stainless steel.) I prefer something under $500 each but I'm willing to go a little higher if it's the right one.

Any help anyone can give me on this will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 11:39 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,323 times
Hi there,

I bought a new set when I moved to Raleigh four years ago. I have a front loader though. I didn't think about not being able to "soak" whites, but oh well. It works fine and I can wash my king sized comforter without a trip to the laundromat so it balances out. My brand is LG which I've been happy with them. I had to get accustomed to the "drying sensor" but now that I have that figured out it's been great. With two little ones I always have five hundred loads of laundry. ;-)

I like Kenmore products, but the cost of repair is outrageous. My last dishwasher was a Kenmore and I gave it to a neighbor who didn't mind that it only started half the time (she reasoned it was better than hers which started 0% of the time). I lost access to the email account I've had for the past ten years or I would be able to show you how I did a product comparison. All told, though, LG fit my needs and budget and I've been happy.

Hope you find something you're happy with on all counts!

P.S. ETA, I've heard stainless steel is good for resale. My kitchen appliances are stainless but I plan to take my washer/dryer set when I sell so it doesn't matter.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:08 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,409,430 times
lg pair (they have a "graphite" color)

wt1201cw (white) and matching dryer gas or electric?

there is like a mfr rebate on the pair

find the cheapest price online and go to home depot lowes and tell them to beat it and cover tax

Old 04-06-2014, 02:47 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
I think you're going to have a difficult time finding something new, and "mid range in terms of size & cost" for under $500 each...

Old 04-07-2014, 06:20 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,876 times
Just had repair work done on our Whirlpool dishwasher (fourth visit since buying, and it's still under warranty, but it's because of shoddy installation, so not covered). Anyway, the repair guy, old-school with years of experience in all appliances, said he no longer recommended any brand of appliance as they are all now cheaply made and won't last, generally speaking. I asked him which brand of dishwasher he had in his home and he said he has none. His other appliances are old, as in 20 years old.

They don't make 'em like they used to may be a cliche, but it's sadly true. He said what he recommends is buying midrange, any brand, with the expectation that it will fail in about 10 years. Don't buy as cheap as possible, but definitely don't waste money buying "prosumer" or high-end appliances.

Long way of saying it doesn't really matter. Sorry.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:28 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
Just had repair work done on our Whirlpool dishwasher (fourth visit since buying, and it's still under warranty, but it's because of shoddy installation, so not covered). Anyway, the repair guy, old-school with years of experience in all appliances, said he no longer recommended any brand of appliance as they are all now cheaply made and won't last, generally speaking. I asked him which brand of dishwasher he had in his home and he said he has none. His other appliances are old, as in 20 years old.

They don't make 'em like they used to may be a cliche, but it's sadly true. He said what he recommends is buying midrange, any brand, with the expectation that it will fail in about 10 years. Don't buy as cheap as possible, but definitely don't waste money buying "prosumer" or high-end appliances.

Long way of saying it doesn't really matter. Sorry.

That's what I was afraid of. I wasn't planning on anything high end. I just don't want something that will break down after a couple of uses.

I still have a couple of weeks to continue my search.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Cat

Old 04-07-2014, 09:55 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I know when we bought I asked my repairman who has been in business over 45 . He said Maytag until the mid 90's was by far the best. He basically said Whirlpool was as good as any he had seen. He recommended top loader with dial settings . He said agitator with HE was good. That is what we bought and have to say it removes stains better than old washer even not treating with Tide HE liquid. If buying HE then read instructions on now it cleans .Lots lower water bill and gallons used. Good Luck.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:05 AM

487 posts, read 748,414 times
I have a top-loader without the center agitator, and won't do it again. You have to still load the machine as if there was an agitator, with the middle bump visible when it's full and STILL it goes off balance regularly. The difference when this goes off balance, as opposed to when the older type did, is that this one doesn't stop right away; it just starts jumping around like it's come alive!

Secondly, they don't use much water to wash the clothes, and I have seen the bits of the clothing come out of the washer dry! When things come out dry, you KNOW they're not clean, so now I use a second rinse every time, which negates the water savings.

And last, but not least, the clothes come out of the washer incredibly wrinkled. I guess the spin cycle spins the life out of the stuff, and they claim it's so that the drying time is reduced, and it might be, but the wrinkles don't come out either.

I'll get a front-loader next time, unless I can find an old-fashioned top-loader with the center agitator.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:38 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Mid-priced, conventional (not high-efficiency) washer shouldn't cost more than $500. What do you really need - two or three speeds, two or three water level/water temperature selections. Pretty basic, less than $400:

Sears.com

This one has a few more bells and whistles, for less than $500:

Sears.com

I'd splurge a little more on the dryer, but that's just me. I inherited a dryer that did everything short of hanging up the clothes for me; then moved and inherited a dryer that didn't even have a buzzer. I miss my fancy dryer, even if it was coppertone. But as long as this one works, I'm keeping it.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:12 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,138,158 times
If you want to save $100-$200 on a pair DO NOT buy the matching machines. Style, unneeded features you're pay for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products