Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 06:24 PM

204 posts, read 144,978 times

Advertisements

For the situation im in I dont have a major credit card and most rental car agency only rent out to those with one. I do have a debit card, last I rented from avis a year ago, a higher deposit amount was taken and then returned after all was turned in. Ive always dealt with avis since manager was familiar with me and I never gave aor had any problems of renting. I haven't called avis or checked around, i have to make an out of town trip to KY next week, and problably there for 3 or 4 days...so just checking if anyone knows decent rental rates around the same or better with debit only situation a incase im missing some deals or cheaper services around. I live in marietta north metro, east west connector area. If it makes a difference, my debit card is my usual day to day spending and job income...I dont keep alot of funds on it.....but I can wire currency around to debit card/ account if certain amount helps with renting thats available, not sure if it makes a difference or not though......Im also a county employee....and certain discounts apply to us but not sure of car rental.......i have usaa insurance as well could that help any, just thought about it a second ago.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 06:49 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
I rented from National a couple of weeks ago and recall a sign about a larger deposit on a debit card.

Are you a Costco member? They offer discounts as well.

Old 04-23-2019, 06:53 PM

11,799 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisjay2 View Post
For the situation im in I dont have a major credit card and most rental car agency only rent out to those with one. I do have a debit card, last I rented from avis a year ago, a higher deposit amount was taken and then returned after all was turned in. Ive always dealt with avis since manager was familiar with me and I never gave aor had any problems of renting. I haven't called avis or checked around, i have to make an out of town trip to KY next week, and problably there for 3 or 4 days...so just checking if anyone knows decent rental rates around the same or better with debit only situation a incase im missing some deals or cheaper services around. I live in marietta north metro, east west connector area. If it makes a difference, my debit card is my usual day to day spending and job income...I dont keep alot of funds on it.....but I can wire currency around to debit card/ account if certain amount helps with renting thats available, not sure if it makes a difference or not though......Im also a county employee....and certain discounts apply to us but not sure of car rental.......i have usaa insurance as well could that help any, just thought about it a second ago.....
Before giving a larger deposit on a rental car company, becareful... some agencies do not allow you to take the car out of the state of Georgia. I ran into this with Enterprise rent-a-car off Riverside Pkwy in Lawrenceville.

Old 04-23-2019, 06:56 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,705,570 times
The last time I rented a car (through Avis), I prepaid with a debit card online, but had to give them a credit card at the counter for the deposit.

It's hit or miss as far as whether they'll accept a debit card for the deposit. Not sure about Avis.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:07 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
Yea the can put rather large holds on money in your account. Not the best way to rent, sadly.

This is worth googling news articles. A week or two back I read some random news article on this subject. Two of the major rental companies were lowering the amount of money it puts a hold on in your account to make it easier, but it was still large.

It was recent. I’d try to find it for you but I’m sitting in an airport on my phone...

Old 04-23-2019, 07:16 PM

6,455 posts, read 3,977,052 times
Many won't even allow you to be a driver on the car if you don't have a credit card (that is, the person doing the actual renting must have a credit card and so must you). I once found this out the hard way. Makes no sense to me, but...

Old 04-23-2019, 07:19 PM

663 posts, read 433,666 times
I don't know the cost, but Dollar Car Rental takes debit cards.
"Incidental hold of $200 + cost of rental will be applied at pickup. (incidental Hold waived for Dollar Express members with a VISA in your profile after first rental)"

https://www.dollar.com/DaveRamsey/ma...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 04-24-2019, 06:10 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Can I ask the obvious... Why don't you just get a credit card and avoid all the hassle?

Old 04-24-2019, 07:06 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Not everybody can get a credit card.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:10 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Many won't even allow you to be a driver on the car if you don't have a credit card (that is, the person doing the actual renting must have a credit card and so must you). I once found this out the hard way. Makes no sense to me, but...
This isn't true........at least in the last 10 years, maybe a debit card was unheard of before that. I have a company debit card that has never left me stranded at a rental counter anywhere in the US.

They will nix underage drivers but preventing a driver because they don't have a credit card isn't true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
View detailed profiles of: