Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2014, 12:59 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,287,610 times

Advertisements

Think of some products, businesses that you've seen kids flipping signs for.

Did it draw your attention to the business?

Did it get your consumership?

Or did it just get you to ponder the sign flipper's life for a moment as you sat at a red light?

Somehow I feel it's such a pathetic way to advertise that it makes me less likely to be a patron.

What do you think about sign flippers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 05:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,226 posts, read 80,425,063 times
I find them to be annoying, and have never patronized any place that used them. Not because of them, but because they advertise places I don't want to use, such as discount mattress stores, new home developments, or leather furniture stores. I do also think about them as a sad way to make a living, but I suppose for the money it beats fast food since they are at least out inh the fresh air and getting some exercise.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:33 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,287,610 times
Well said, Hemlock.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:40 AM

22,331 posts, read 47,298,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I find them to be annoying, and have never patronized any place that used them. Not because of them, but because they advertise places I don't want to use, such as discount mattress stores, new home developments, or leather furniture stores. I do also think about them as a sad way to make a living, but I suppose for the money it beats fast food since they are at least out inh the fresh air and getting some exercise.
That has been my experience also.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:12 AM

19,367 posts, read 9,433,474 times
I don't believe there's a flip side to some of those signs. The other day, saw a young lady behind one and her head resting. Maybe great way to catch a snooze and/or some sunrays but I feel bad for them in a way if they have to sit out there while it's really cold or too hot or raining without proper protection from the elements. 9/10 it's for a mattress store. They have so many around our area. Not sure what the pay is for standing or sitting out side with their sign/s for however long they must do it. I've already got our mattress so don't need to be stopping in their store. If someone specifically mentions they stopped in the store because they saw the sign the person was holding, do they get a bonus or something?

Old 05-22-2014, 04:39 AM

23,709 posts, read 30,623,585 times
Its a job that pays a wage. Getting people to make fools of themselves for that wage depends on the need of those people. It's as annoying as the new LED billboards as it takes your eyes off the road. But thats advertising. It's amazing since some counties have ordinances against any advertising within a certain distance from the road.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:51 PM

15,988 posts, read 20,969,695 times
Don't think I've really ever noticed, except for pizza places or the like trying to drum up business on a slow day.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:42 PM

551 posts, read 579,999 times
The one's around me are shilling for down market pizza places, LOL. The pizza isn't good so I wouldn't go there but that has nothing to do with the advertising form. I actual feel bad for those who do it, though I do wonder how much they get paid. It's probably beer money seeing as all are college kids (I'm in a college town) and I've never seen a "regular." Sometimes they wear costumes but those vary too. Anyways I would never look down on someone doing honest work, just sincerely hope they don't get paid in (gross) pizzas!

Old 05-26-2014, 06:02 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,143,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Think of some products, businesses that you've seen kids flipping signs for.

Did it draw your attention to the business?

Did it get your consumership?

Or did it just get you to ponder the sign flipper's life for a moment as you sat at a red light?

Somehow I feel it's such a pathetic way to advertise that it makes me less likely to be a patron.

What do you think about sign flippers?
1.) No.
2.) No.
3.) No.
4.) They're just doing their jobs.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:26 PM

12,071 posts, read 23,146,650 times
Sign flippers make me thankful that I have a job and that I don't have to do that in order to put a couple of bucks in my pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products