Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2014, 02:49 PM

11 posts, read 14,728 times

Advertisements

Here's the story. I saw a used textbook for school available online for prices ranging from $15-$25. It's $120 for a new one at my school's book store. I need this book by next Sunday. I don't have a credit card, bank account, or job. How can I purchase this book online? I just recently learned of prepaid cards. I planned on going into CVS, purchasing one worth $30, and using it to order the book. That's it. Well, I walked into CVS, picked up a few that said "reloadable" cards and started to read the package. They charge you to buy the "starter card". I didn't know that, but I don't mind. I then read things about "monthly payments," having to fill out info online, and how they'd send me the "real card" in 7 days. Eh...All I want to do is get one I can use just for this particular purchase without plans of using it again. So what can I use? i saw "prepaid gift cards" too. Can I use that to buy books online from sites? What can I do to order the book and receive it online within the next week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 03:01 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,408,849 times
If you have a friend with a CC, can you have them buy it for you if you give them the cash for it? Depending on the online store, it would probably have to be shipped to the address on the credit card, and you would need to live nearby to pick it up at their address.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:15 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Check to see if they accept Paypal (most places do) - you can set up a Paypal account linking your checking account.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:49 PM

The OP does not have a bank account.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:08 PM

Thanks guys. I figured it out. Instead of buying the "reloadable" card. I just bought a Visa Gift Card and it looks like the online book seller has processed the order.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:13 PM

Well. no. I do have another question. I received an E-Mail with the sale order number and the message "Your order has been forwarded to the bookseller for processing. You will receive an email when the order is confirmed." Is it still possible that they can reject the process? or since it actually let me use the card to place the order, does that mean I'm good to go? I guess what I'm asking is, if there was trouble to be had using the Gift Card, I wouldn't even have been able to place order, right?

Old 05-24-2014, 05:57 PM

This sounds like the standard wording that is used on the AbeBooks site (I am a bookseller on Abe).

If you entered your card number, and Abe (or whatever site you used) successfully processed the payment, you should be good to go. They notify the bookseller, and the bookseller just has to confirm that they have the book in stock and will ship it. The seller has to click a little box that says "will ship".

And yes, if your card was rejected, they would let you know on the same page.

Only other snag would be if the book is no longer in stock, the seller will have to cancel it, and you will get a notification of the cancellation.

Monday is a postal holiday, so the soonest they can ship is Tuesday.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMNan View Post
This sounds like the standard wording that is used on the AbeBooks site (I am a bookseller on Abe).

If you entered your card number, and Abe (or whatever site you used) successfully processed the payment, you should be good to go. They notify the bookseller, and the bookseller just has to confirm that they have the book in stock and will ship it. The seller has to click a little box that says "will ship".

And yes, if your card was rejected, they would let you know on the same page.

Only other snag would be if the book is no longer in stock, the seller will have to cancel it, and you will get a notification of the cancellation.

Monday is a postal holiday, so the soonest they can ship is Tuesday.
You're correct, it is Abebooks. However, I've encountered a problem. After telling me, "Your order has been forwarded to the bookseller for processing. You will receive an email when the order is confirmed." hours later I received an E-Mail stating, "The attempt to charge your credit card was declined by the credit card processing service. Please note that we cannot place a new order on your behalf." Right below that where it says "Please take the following actions" one of them says "Place a new order." This is confusing. How can they say "we cannot place a new order on your behalf" then immediately say "Place a new order" as one of the actions I can take? So would they let me reorder it or no? Also, I used a Vanilla Visa Gift Card. The instructions say the funds would be available within 24 hours. It hasn't been 24 hours, but when I went to register the card on the Vanilla Visa website, it showed the balance for the card I purchased. Would it be possible for the balance to show up if the funds werent already supposedly available? I don;t know why they declined.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:40 AM

They are saying they aren't going to automatically re-charge the card.

I looked up the Vanilla Visa and it seems fine, just be sure you have registered your zip code with the card and are using the same zip code at Abe.

You should wait the 24 hours, and then try again. VVisa shows your balance, but it may not be available until they get all their info uploaded into the correct area for use in online sales.
Kind of like when you make a bank deposit, the funds show in your account, but are not immediately available for withdrawal.

It won't delay anything by waiting until tomorrow to re-order, the seller can't ship until Tuesday anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products