Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 02:51 PM

8 posts, read 9,254 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of buying a 4K video camcorder on Amazon.com to shoot my friend's upcoming wedding in June. However, the camcorder I was interested in buying costs $2,500 and I was thinking of only using it to shoot the wedding and reception and then returning it for a full refund. I've returned items to Amazon before and always get a full refund, but never an item this expensive.

I don't really have a constant need for a camera this fancy, so that's why I plan to return it for a refund. I posted this idea at a popular videography website and some of the posters said I was acting "irresponsible" or even "unethical" by "abusing" a return policy like this. However, I always see long lines at the customer service counters of big box stores like Wal-Mart and Target and Best Buy. This seems like normal consumer behavior these days to return stuff for just about any reason you can think of. The return lines after Christmas are so long it wraps around the stores, for Pete sake.

So what is the big fuss about what I plan on doing?

Old 05-25-2014, 02:55 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
It is unethical and you are abusing the return policy for amazon.
Purchase a cheaper camera or go and rent one for the event.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
It is unethical and you are abusing the return policy for amazon.
Purchase a cheaper camera or go and rent one for the event.
Then why are return lines so long at Wal-Mart ??

Are there really millions of "unethical" people out there in the world ??

And why should anyone care about Amazon's bottom line? They make BILLIONS of dollars every year in profit, and yet they do everything they can do drive small Mom-and-Pop stores out of business with their ruthless tactics. They are acting evil on every front, so why not fight back?

Old 05-25-2014, 03:02 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Do what you have already decided you are going to do.
You think it is just fine to do this and you will come up with anything to justify your decision.

There is no reason for anyone to try and add to this non discussion.
I wish you all you deserve in your lifetime.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
You think it is just fine to do this and you will come up with anything to justify your decision.

Just trying to understand why some people like you call this behavior "unethical" ??

I'm simply following the rules of Amazon or any other retailer. They have specific return policies that state what can and what can't be returned. As long as I don't damage the camera, I can return it within 30 days and get all my money back.

Why is this a hot button issue for some people like you that act like holy rollers?

Old 05-25-2014, 03:37 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:

Truth!

What a loser the OP is....

Old 05-25-2014, 05:18 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killuminati-Kyra View Post
I'm not a loser. I'm a winner worth 10 times more than your entire family.

But it sounds like you're a pathetic loser if you care so much about huge corporations like Amazon instead of normal people. What kind of sick mindset do you have to care about companies huge profit margins over people? Are you a Tea Party Gestapo Lieutenant to think like you do?
What you're totally missing is that the losses that stem from folk like you abusing the return policy are passed on to the rest of the consumers.

IOW, I get to pay a higher price for my goods because the retailer, in this case Amazon, has to factor in the costs of abuse from folk like you. Amazon isn't going to take the loss out of their pockets as if you're making a statement agains the retailer ... they pass the costs on to all their other customers.

PS: if you're so affluent, than why would you need to stoop to an unethical behavior and assault those of us who would point out that it is so?

Old 05-25-2014, 05:26 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
I'm not a loser. I'm a winner worth 10 times more than your entire family.

But it sounds like you're a pathetic loser if you care so much about huge corporations like Amazon instead of normal people. What kind of sick mindset do you have to care about companies huge profit margins over people? Are you a Tea Party Gestapo Lieutenant to think like you do?
Uh huh... then buy your own camera.
Oh wait, mommy won't let you use the credit card!

Old 05-25-2014, 05:51 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Quote:
Just trying to understand why some people like you call this behavior "unethical" ??

I'm simply following the rules of Amazon or any other retailer. They have specific return policies that state what can and what can't be returned. As long as I don't damage the camera, I can return it within 30 days and get all my money back.

Why is this a hot button issue for some people like you that act like holy rollers?
You sound like a politician: Buying stock on pending legislation; having the wife own the business which does business with the government; accepting bribes because the packaging doesn't specifically say it is a bribe.

Is it legal? Apparently.

Is it ethical?

No.

They plead to not know the difference, even though they boast of their education (mostly lawyers) when they are pleading for out votes. Yet, once elected, they seem to not know the difference....

YOU know the difference.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
What you're totally missing is that the losses that stem from folk like you abusing the return policy are passed on to the rest of the consumers.

IOW, I get to pay a higher price for my goods because the retailer, in this case Amazon, has to factor in the costs of abuse from folk like you. Amazon isn't going to take the loss out of their pockets as if you're making a statement agains the retailer ... they pass the costs on to all their other customers.

PS: if you're so affluent, than why would you need to stoop to an unethical behavior and assault those of us who would point out that it is so?
Yes, I agree there is probably SOME cost associated with product returns --- but how do you compare those costs to other factors that drive up retail prices on consumer goods? For example, how would you compare the cost to return a TV set to Wal-Mart versus the increasing cost of diesel fuel that trucking companies will pass onto Wal-Mart by delivering goods to their warehouses and stores, and then Wal-Mart in turn cranks up all their product prices to pay for this increased cost of fuel? I would bet something like that far outpaces any cost associated with a product return.

Besides, digital equipment like cameras dont suffer any wear-and-tear that a lawn mower or children's toy might endure during the 90-day return timeframe. I can understand how it's abusive if a customer buys a vacuum sweeper at Wal-Mart and uses it to clean 100 houses in a 3-month span and then returns the sweeper for a full refund. A dear friend of mine once bought $1000 worth of power tools at Home Depot to build an outdoor deck and then returned it all for a refund. We laughed about it while drinking a couple cold ones sitting on his new deck, but I admit that's a case of blatant abuse of product returns.

However, when you use a digital camera you are not inducing any wear and tear since there are no moving parts. It's just light photons hitting a charge-coupled device and then saving that binary data to a memory card. You can repeat that process millions of times before it would break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.