Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 02:19 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,374,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypersion View Post
B&N needs to take a bigger page from D&B. Video game arcades are not profitable but bars/restaurants are. B&N needs to expands the food/coffee business model more to maybe a full bar/restaurants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I think that is a great idea, the bar especially. People can get loose and talk literature. Hell maybe even Barnes could craft their own beer.
Those are both intriguing thoughts. Not sure about a bar though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 09:23 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post

Ours is always busy. Some days it is tough to find a parking space.
Our's too.

There are a lot of home schoolers in our area and B&N caters to them. Lots of parents and kids in the store together. Fine with me. I like seeing a bookstore full of kids excited about reading and learning.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:31 PM

5,483 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I think that is a great idea, the bar especially. People can get loose and talk literature. Hell maybe even Barnes could craft their own beer.
Would be cool to see them put the Bar in Barnes. I'd still probably just sit there and read alone for hours as I do now (sometimes after ordering a green tea or coffee from the cafe, sometimes after bringing in my own)...in the bar-equipped Barnes & Noble of the future, they'd know it would be time to cut me off if I started approaching people and offering unfiltered commentary on their reading choices

Old 06-10-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I think B and N shot themselves in the foot with the comfy chairs and coffee idea. While it looks good on paper ( a customer can spend time there making a decision before they buy) in reality people are takers. I see them all the time just loafing there, reading the magazines and books, and then putting them back on the shelf and walking out with no purchases. They think they are at the public library !
Taker that I apparently am, that's what I do, pretty much every time. Over the past five years I've read probably ten entire books and parts of hundreds of others at the Barnes & Noble location in Amherst, NY. I purchase maybe one book per year. However I still spend around 200 dollars a year there...200 dollars I would not be spending there otherwise.

Also, as oldhousegirl noted in her previous B&N-related thread, the plush chairs no longer exist at the location I frequent. Doesn't matter to me; I'll sit on a floor or countertop if allowed. The in-store environment is much more conducive to focusing on one's reading than most environments I'd be in in the event that I actually buy a book. I've on more than one occasion thought to myself after buying a book, "well, I should take it back to the store tomorrow and read it there in the absence of these distractions" (in-home distractions, park distractions, etc).

Old 06-12-2014, 07:44 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Taker that I apparently am, that's what I do, pretty much every time. Over the past five years I've read probably ten entire books and parts of hundreds of others at the Barnes & Noble location in Amherst, NY. I purchase maybe one book per year. However I still spend around 200 dollars a year there...200 dollars I would not be spending there otherwise.

Also, as oldhousegirl noted in her previous B&N-related thread, the plush chairs no longer exist at the location I frequent. Doesn't matter to me; I'll sit on a floor or countertop if allowed. The in-store environment is much more conducive to focusing on one's reading than most environments I'd be in in the event that I actually buy a book. I've on more than one occasion thought to myself after buying a book, "well, I should take it back to the store tomorrow and read it there in the absence of these distractions" (in-home distractions, park distractions, etc).
Curious but why don't you just go to a library and do the same thing? They have the cozy chairs, sometimes a small cafe area, and an atmosphere that is calm and pleasant for the most part, AND they don't expect you to buy anything. So why go to a bookstore for that?

Old 06-12-2014, 08:28 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Would be cool to see them put the Bar in Barnes. I'd still probably just sit there and read alone for hours as I do now (sometimes after ordering a green tea or coffee from the cafe, sometimes after bringing in my own)...in the bar-equipped Barnes & Noble of the future, they'd know it would be time to cut me off if I started approaching people and offering unfiltered commentary on their reading choices
Lmao this is a seriously cool idea
I do the same thing at Barnes & Noble- but boy a bar in there would really make it interesting

Old 06-27-2014, 10:32 AM

734 posts, read 1,082,189 times
I used to go to B&N all the time until I got my Nook. No need to go to a bookstore when I can just go online and get the book, sometimes for cheaper than it would be if I bought it in the store. The B&N in my area is always packed when I go by it, so SOMEBODY is still going there, if only to get coffee and read a couple magazines.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:05 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
I have a 2 Books a Million in my area and one Barnes and Noble (all three within 10 miles)....so far so good...all seem to attract quite a bit of business.

Someone mentioned that the Kindle is keeping B&N alive...I think they meant the Nook is keeping them alive. Kindle is an Amazon product...not B&N. I have a Kindle and love it....and I download books from Amazon all the time..you can't beat their prices and sometimes it just boils down to price. It's much easier for me to carry 150 books on my Kindle than to store them on a shelf...and this comes from a die hard book fanatic.

I still browse the bookstores and will buy my grandkids books sometimes, or will find something for myself that just I can't bear to read on Kindle...sometimes you have to have a book in hand (reference books, cookbooks, etc)

Old 06-29-2014, 07:38 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I have a 2 Books a Million in my area and one Barnes and Noble (all three within 10 miles)....so far so good...all seem to attract quite a bit of business.

Someone mentioned that the Kindle is keeping B&N alive...I think they meant the Nook is keeping them alive. Kindle is an Amazon product...not B&N. I have a Kindle and love it....and I download books from Amazon all the time..you can't beat their prices and sometimes it just boils down to price. It's much easier for me to carry 150 books on my Kindle than to store them on a shelf...and this comes from a die hard book fanatic.

I still browse the bookstores and will buy my grandkids books sometimes, or will find something for myself that just I can't bear to read on Kindle...sometimes you have to have a book in hand (reference books, cookbooks, etc)
I stand corrected, it is the Nook, not the Kindle, you are correct, thanks.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Curious but why don't you just go to a library and do the same thing? They have the cozy chairs, sometimes a small cafe area, and an atmosphere that is calm and pleasant for the most part, AND they don't expect you to buy anything. So why go to a bookstore for that?
I've never actually been pressured into buying anything at the Barnes & Noble I've gone to over the years--I buy coffee or tea on average probably every third visit, and a book every few months, but had I never bought a single thing I'm not sure I ever would've been asked to leave or to make a purchase before leaving, heh. On the estimated two out of three visits where I don't buy coffee or tea, I bring in a cup that was obviously purchased elsewhere, so they'd certainly have an excuse to confront me if they wanted: "Sir, if you're going to sit here and sample our products for hours, we'd ask that you make a purchase at our store café--coffee from other outlets is not permitted in the store." But, no one's ever said that sort of thing to me. 99% of the time I don't actually sit at the café but rather in chairs near the window. I'd go to the local library if they in fact had a café and also if they had a better selection of the non-fiction I like to read...those are main advantages of going to Barnes & Noble. The library nearest me has a good selection of history and fiction, but lacks in science (I wouldn't expect much beyond maybe Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything or something), and I doubt it has a single book that might be traditionally categorized as philosophy. Advantage B&N in psychology/sociology/anthropology, also. And as an added bonus I happen to enjoy the drive to Barnes & Noble, a drive which would be entirely out of the way were I to go to the library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products