Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 08:52 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,425,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMNan View Post
This model?
Amazon.com : Casio Exilim EX-FH20 9.1 MP Digital Camera with 20x Optical Zoom and 3-Inch LCD (Black) : Camera & Photo
That's a nice camera.

Looks like you could easily get $200-300 for it on Amazon if you have a sellers account.

On eBay, yes $100. sounds very reasonable, I am assuming it is in working condition. If you decide to list it on eBay, be sure and describe every flaw, even if it is just cosmetic.

Also, Im not sure why the link you posted trying to sell it for $1100? We bought it for about $700?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 10:23 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,402,258 times
I just posted the first search result that came up. I was mostly looking at the prices for the used offers to see what you might get for it at Amazon.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:32 PM

390 posts, read 823,250 times
As someone who has extensively used both for many years...

Craigslist is extremely frustrating when trying to sell, because it's nearly impossible to sell anything - and I live in a large metropolitan area. Even when you get a response to an ad to sell something, 90% of the time people will flake out. You can list something for $5, and it is still an exercise in frustration to sell it. But put it on the "free" section, and you'll get 100s of replies in an hour.

I remember the fiasco I had when trying to sell a refrigerator. It was a great quality refrigerator - good condition. Similar fridges were being sold for $500 by others on Craigslist. I needed to sell quickly, so I marked it down to $400. A week went by, and the only response I got was someone who flaked out. I marked it down to $300 - got a couple more responses, but both of them flaked out without ever even coming to see the fridge. Marked it down to $200 - got a few responses, but only one person actually followed up and came to see it, then paid me a down payment of $25 to hold it for him, and said he'd pick it up the next weekend when he could borrow his friend's truck. The next weekend came and went, and he never called, showed up, or anything. I could not get ahold of him. I left him a message saying I would have to sell to someone else, but would return his down payment. I never heard from him again. I finally ended up having to just sell the fridge to a used appliances store, for more than I would have actually gotten on Craigslist. I had marked the fridge down so much that someone could have picked up my fridge and sold it to the used appliance store and made a profit, but nobody would even do that.

Craigslist is great when you are the buyer, however. It's usually cheaper than eBay, and it's more feasible for large items like furniture and exercise equipment. People are so desperate to sell things that they will go way down in price, usually.

eBay is much much better for selling things - you may deal with fees and shipping, but you don't waste time on people flaking out, and you know you'll probably actually sell your item.

Craigslist is also great if you have a bunch of stuff you just need to get rid of - put it on the "free" section, and it'll be gone in 5-10 minutes. Just don't put your address down in the ad. I did the mistake of giving away a bunch of stuff, listing my address in the ad, and just said "come pick up - first come, first serve", and I had people swarming my house for hours, even though everything was gone within about 10 minutes! There was literally an almost constant stream of vehicles stopping outside my house and looking to see if anything was still in the driveway, for hours, and for days afterwards after I deleted the post, there would still be a few cars I'd notice stopping at my house to look. Once I deleted the post, things died down, but man the neighbors were not happy about that. Many of the people stopping by did not look like the most savory types, either. I almost got the police called on me due to that incident.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:42 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,425,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazergore1198 View Post
As someone who has extensively used both for many years...

Craigslist is extremely frustrating when trying to sell, because it's nearly impossible to sell anything - and I live in a large metropolitan area. Even when you get a response to an ad to sell something, 90% of the time people will flake out. You can list something for $5, and it is still an exercise in frustration to sell it. But put it on the "free" section, and you'll get 100s of replies in an hour.

I remember the fiasco I had when trying to sell a refrigerator. It was a great quality refrigerator - good condition. Similar fridges were being sold for $500 by others on Craigslist. I needed to sell quickly, so I marked it down to $400. A week went by, and the only response I got was someone who flaked out. I marked it down to $300 - got a couple more responses, but both of them flaked out without ever even coming to see the fridge. Marked it down to $200 - got a few responses, but only one person actually followed up and came to see it, then paid me a down payment of $25 to hold it for him, and said he'd pick it up the next weekend when he could borrow his friend's truck. The next weekend came and went, and he never called, showed up, or anything. I could not get ahold of him. I left him a message saying I would have to sell to someone else, but would return his down payment. I never heard from him again. I finally ended up having to just sell the fridge to a used appliances store, for more than I would have actually gotten on Craigslist. I had marked the fridge down so much that someone could have picked up my fridge and sold it to the used appliance store and made a profit, but nobody would even do that.

Craigslist is great when you are the buyer, however. It's usually cheaper than eBay, and it's more feasible for large items like furniture and exercise equipment. People are so desperate to sell things that they will go way down in price, usually.

eBay is much much better for selling things - you may deal with fees and shipping, but you don't waste time on people flaking out, and you know you'll probably actually sell your item.

Craigslist is also great if you have a bunch of stuff you just need to get rid of - put it on the "free" section, and it'll be gone in 5-10 minutes. Just don't put your address down in the ad. I did the mistake of giving away a bunch of stuff, listing my address in the ad, and just said "come pick up - first come, first serve", and I had people swarming my house for hours, even though everything was gone within about 10 minutes! There was literally an almost constant stream of vehicles stopping outside my house and looking to see if anything was still in the driveway, for hours, and for days afterwards after I deleted the post, there would still be a few cars I'd notice stopping at my house to look. Once I deleted the post, things died down, but man the neighbors were not happy about that. Many of the people stopping by did not look like the most savory types, either. I almost got the police called on me due to that incident.
Yes Craigslist is annoying. And people are pretty cheap like you describe. A few weeks ago I tried to sell some baby clothes and equipment. I was never able to sell the baby equipment. Even though they were in perfect condition and still sold for full price at the store, I didn't even get a phone call. I also had all these name brand, unworn, or worn once baby clothes. I listed like 90 pieces for 70 dollars. Nothing. Eventually some lady paid 45 dollars for them. 45 dollars for cloth selling currently in stores for several hundred dollars! I hope she realize the deal she got..lol

Old 08-30-2014, 01:58 PM
JL

8,519 posts, read 14,494,587 times
I hadn't sold an item on Ebay in a while and just did it earlier in the week with the auction ending today. I was able to sell it for $210....also found out my transaction fee was $21...YIKES!...it's a reason why i only sell things that i can't get rid of on Craigslist for a fair price. It's a good thing that i got the item for free, thus any money i make on it is a very good profit, but man...i feel for the people who sell regularly. I also am waiting for how much the paypal fee will be too.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:35 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,402,258 times
PayPal will take another (roughly) 2.5 percent.
If you charged the customer shipping, ebay will take their cut out of that too.
I always figure to lose around 13-15 percent in fees when I sell on ebay, depending on the category.

Congrats on the great flip though!

Old 08-30-2014, 07:30 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,385,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahncss View Post
Have you tried Amazon?

I consider Amazon to have high fees; I won't post anything under $20 there but it is good for selling higher-priced items.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
I always figure to lose around 13-15 percent in fees when I sell on ebay, depending on the category.

For that, I do not blame eBay, I blame the shady sellers who were trying to evade eBay fees by lowballing the item price and then charging astronomical shipping.

The ONLY way eBay could resolve that was to calculate final value fees on the entire total including shipping. Which screws the sellers who were trying to provide the most value by favorably discounting combined shipping charges for multiple items.

e.g. I sell 4 items at $5 plus $3.50 shipping per item, with combined shipping $5.

My eBay fees are calculated on FV = $34 (4 times $8.50 per item) while I received $25 from the buyer.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:

Dang I thought i had a pretty good flip when I found a $100 item listed with a $19.99 BIN (plus $5 shipping)

Old 09-01-2014, 12:52 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,727,858 times
Thanks for all the posts, I am eventually going to have to do CL at some point. I've been on ebay for ten years.

I just lost my top rated seller status because 2.1 percent of my transactions were not as described. No more free listing offers on top of the basic fifty per month for awhile. Hating it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products