Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 08:05 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times

Advertisements

What brands of head trimmer/shavers are considered to be really good? I am at the point where I think investing in one will be beneficial in the long term, mainly because my hair is gradually thinning. I would prefer to keep in constantly short. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 11:09 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
People joke about Flowbee, but for a short cut it gives an even measured self-cut and no mess of hair clippings to clean up, other than any scissors or razor use around the edges. When in south Florida, haircuts kept going up in price, many of the cutters only spoke Spanish, and wait times could be off-putting. After a couple of particularly obnoxious incidents, which wasted my time and left me needing a cut before an important meeting, I ditched going to any of the chain haircutters and learned how to use the Flowbee. I kicked myself in the butt after for not doing it sooner. In fifteen minutes after a shower, I could do a better cut than I received at most barbers or salons after driving there and waiting an hour or more for the process, and it was effectively FREE after the first month or two.

Haircut every 2 weeks (some of us need it that often) over a year = 25 haircuts at $15+- per cut plus $3 tip = $450 per year. Average time spent driving, waiting and getting a cut 1.75 hrs times 25 cuts = 43 +- hours during worktime lost.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:02 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,822 times
So are you only looking for an overall cut or do you want to do some lining?

If its just keeping your hair short, Then I'm not sure a trimmer is even the best thing. Trimmers are better for lining than actually cutting. I would suggest a good pair of hair clippers for that. In addition, trimmers are not meant to run for long periods of time like clippers. This is also why I would suggest clippers for a head of hair and trimmers for the face/beard or just lining up your hair. Wahl, Oster, and Andis all make great hair clippers. But I shave bald so I cannot speak to which ones would be the best first hand.

I do use trimmers for my face and beard. So if you do wanna go the trimmer route, the best two options are
1) Wahl Professional 8081 5-star Series Detailer Powerful Rotary Motor Trimmer
2) The Andis Andis 08770 Andis Experience Gtx Outliner Trimmer, Black

Old 07-11-2012, 02:32 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
But I shave bald so I cannot speak to which ones would be the best first hand.
What do you use to go about keeping your head bald?

Old 01-02-2013, 11:12 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,991 times
Wahl, Remington, Norelco, etc. make good products, but if you're serious about head shaving (and don't want to lather up and do it with a blade), head to a barber supply shop and get the kind of clippers that the pros use. It'll cost you a little more money, but as someone above pointed out, it's still way less than what you would have to spend every year at a barber to keep a close crop.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:28 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times
I've been shaving my head bald since 2001 and the best for me is the Schick 3 blade, easily the most comfortable and cleanest shave out of any razor and I've tried them all including clippers and the Gillette Fusion.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:00 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
I've head good reviews on Andis (BGR...) and Oster 76. I don't think the Oster is chargeable, so you're dealing with the cord, which may or may not matter for a diy haircut. The Andis BGRC+ is chargeable, and near $200. Right now I'm getting by with a Conair south of $20 set - which is chargeable. So there's no rush to get the cadillac as the beatle is doing the job fine.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:55 PM

6 posts, read 5,000 times
I am using philips trimmer .It cost is very cheap and you can charge it.Cheap and best

Old 09-24-2014, 10:56 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
I've head good reviews on Andis (BGR...) and Oster 76. I don't think the Oster is chargeable, so you're dealing with the cord, which may or may not matter for a diy haircut. The Andis BGRC+ is chargeable, and near $200. Right now I'm getting by with a Conair south of $20 set - which is chargeable. So there's no rush to get the cadillac as the beatle is doing the job fine.
I had never heard of Andis until I bought a trimmer for my dogs. It works great. Much better than the Oster, I never used.

Then I noticed that Andis is the brand they use at the hair place I frequent. They use it on the guys, buzz cuts and that sort of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products