U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 03:27 PM

7,291 posts, read 8,837,471 times

Advertisements

The USPS used to have something called "Delivery Confirmation", which was a 2-part form with a sort of neon green color. The sticky part went on the parcel, and the receipt was stamped and returned to the customer. Now, that is no longer. The clerk just affixes a bar code to the package, scans it, and the tracking number comes out on the receipt. Many folks just toss the receipt, not realizing that. Once the tracking number is printed out, there is no way the USPS can find what it was.

I think a customer is more likely to put an actual numbered form from a 2-part receipt in a wallet, as they instictively understand that they might need that number. For this reason, I always use a blue insurance form - even if the item is not really worth insuring - because I get a numbered receipt from a two-part form to use as proof of delivery. It costs about the same. This type of thing is not really trackable, but with the number and/or receipt, the USPS can trace it for you, and you can prove delivery.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 01:20 AM

2 posts, read 21,179 times
The USPS CAN find your tracking number(if you paid for tracking), you will need to know when the package was mailed and what clerk mailed the package (every clerk have a unique USPS ID clerk number), that way the USPS CAN find your transaction number

Old 06-25-2015, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 10,583 times
I wish you could just say hey, here is my address, do you have any packages due for delivery today? ;p Im in the same boat but was told Id have a tracking number sent via e-mail. Every time I call the sender who I can barley understand there accent, they tell me they cant do anything.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:59 PM

10,860 posts, read 14,545,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asisfair87 View Post
I wish you could just say hey, here is my address, do you have any packages due for delivery today?
That's an excellent way for package thieves to know when to wait by your door.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:03 AM

24,497 posts, read 37,094,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asisfair87 View Post
I wish you could just say hey, here is my address, do you have any packages due for delivery today? ;p Im in the same boat but was told Id have a tracking number sent via e-mail. Every time I call the sender who I can barley understand there accent, they tell me they cant do anything.
You can do this with UPS and FedEx if you have accounts with them. Use them instead of USPS if this is a feature you want.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:47 AM

2 posts, read 21,179 times
Wink USPS update

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichardo7 View Post
The USPS CAN find your tracking number(if you paid for tracking), you will need to know when the package was mailed and what clerk mailed the package (every clerk have a unique USPS ID clerk number), that way the USPS CAN find your transaction number
Updated 7/4/2015
According to a supervisor at the post office, they do not keep any record after 60 DAYS, it used to be 6 MONTHS for years but they changed system and she show me a screen on their computer that says 60 DAYS only
Sorry if I misled anyone but my first post in June was based on my experience as a post office clerk for 35 years until I retired 2 years ago.
Best of luck
Pichardo7

Old 07-04-2015, 10:38 PM

10,860 posts, read 14,545,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pichardo7 View Post
Updated 7/4/2015
According to a supervisor at the post office, they do not keep any record after 60 DAYS,
Thanks for the update. Unfortunately, the issue is seldom time or available information. Normally it is all attitude. People go to the post office for the information because they themselves screwed up and can't find anything to prove they even mailed the item. It's never been an issue to have a package tracked with the documentation, but people throw these away yet expect the post office to snap tot heir fingers. So they expect, no make that demand the post office save their sorry butts from their own mistakes and get all peed off if they can;t be help. How hard is it to save a receipt?. I have lost a receipt once yet the postmaster went out of his way to resolve and provide the information I needed, but I came in 'hat in hand' instead of 'you need to do for me!'. Attitude goes a long or short way.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:23 AM

6,269 posts, read 3,428,584 times
Too late this time...but next time have Dad take a photo of the receipt and send it to you.
Life with smart phones can make your life easier.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:00 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,308,717 times
There is now a barcode app scanner that will scan receipts. I have used it a few times myself.
Or, like others have mentioned, take a picture of the receipt.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:10 PM

2 posts, read 13,815 times
In Short: I cancelled the credit card payment on my priority mailing, and my credit card company mailed me a copy of my receipt, which was faxed to them by the PO branch where I mailed my package. Now I can at least file an insurance claim, maybe see my package.

Even after two months, the USPS online tracking system still hasn't figured out that the package isn't where it's supposed to be.

Losing receipts happens. Sometimes it matters more than other times. Sure, it was my own fault. I probably will never see my package again, but at least I now know that I should use UPS when it matters, where possible, and that when my PO and every phone service employee of the USPS to whom I speak tells me packages with lost tracking numbers are impossible to find, I can know in my heart that they're lying to my face (or to my phone, where applicable; or maybe to my email if they ever respond to that one; maybe I should try fax next time too).

Validation? Sorta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products