U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 11:22 PM

10,882 posts, read 14,562,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixnspooner View Post
In Short: I cancelled the credit card payment on my priority mailing, and my credit card company mailed me a copy of my receipt, which was faxed to them by the PO branch where I mailed my package. Now I can at least file an insurance claim, maybe see my package.
I'm confused; if you cancelled your credit card payment you rescinded the shipment which means you have no insurance any longer on that package. The USPS will return it to you if located but I believe they no longer have any duty to deliver it to the address or honor an insurance claim. Usually you pay your credit card, file a claim with USPS, they pay the value plus postage and it's done. But cancelling the credit card payment before the claim is paid really can mess things up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 11:44 AM

2 posts, read 13,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
I'm confused; if you cancelled your credit card payment you rescinded the shipment which means you have no insurance any longer on that package. The USPS will return it to you if located but I believe they no longer have any duty to deliver it to the address or honor an insurance claim. Usually you pay your credit card, file a claim with USPS, they pay the value plus postage and it's done. But cancelling the credit card payment before the claim is paid really can mess things up.

I too was concerned that would happen. At that point, however, I was also comfortable with the possibility they'd return my package to me. Anything beat the limbo of knowing nothing.

However, contesting the charge does not rescind the shipment. By signing the paperwork to have the package shipped, you enter into a contract that says you pay the fee, and the USPS either provides the service (shipment) or pays out an insurance claim if they fail on the service. You cannot cancel/rescind/void that contract once entered into, per its terms. Thus, my contest to the charge was ultimately denied. However, I got exactly what I wanted out of it: for USPS to provide documentary proof that the transaction took place - a copy of the missing receipt.

Yes, because the package was lost, USPS would have come out ahead financially by pretending they couldn't find the receipt and eat the money I paid for the service, such that I wouldn't be able to claim the insurance on the package, which is worth more than shipping costs. But they didn't do that. I imagine some business would take such a calculation in mind, but USPS did not. Perhaps because they're a government entity, and not per se a business.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:56 AM

8,230 posts, read 4,519,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixnspooner View Post
Yes, because the package was lost, USPS would have come out ahead financially by pretending they couldn't find the receipt and eat the money I paid for the service, such that I wouldn't be able to claim the insurance on the package, which is worth more than shipping costs. But they didn't do that. I imagine some business would take such a calculation in mind, but USPS did not. Perhaps because they're a government entity, and not per se a business.
More likely it was two separate units each with a separate mandate and chain of command. Those paying off insurance just focus on not paying insurance claims any other cost is moot and on some other manager's head/budget.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:52 PM

3 posts, read 4,173 times
Thumbs up your not alone

what an ordeal. i know first hand because i to lost a receipt and now its being denied i even sent it. Girl, i see to many replies telling you its your own fault bla bla bla. sure, its our own fault but its not like the cost of postage service is free and you can bet your ass they have the technology to be able to put in a name and address of the package and retain the receipt and if they dont, then why the heck is their overhead used as an excuse to charge double of what it used to be ten years ago. my point is girl, dont feel bad for losing the tracking number, we all do that **** from time to time and we have the technology to be-able to make mistakes and fix it so dont let anyone tell you that it isn't the post offices responsibility to find it because they dont mind helping when we need help. that's what they are their for.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,418 times
Mr. Chickpea, when a tracking service is purchased, the integrity of that system becomes rather comical when the core value of such a system (serving also as it's namesake) needs a tracking system of its own because they forgot to include the person commisioning this service into the infrastructure!?

Aside from rude manners, we can ascertain you are a poor reader, you have limited skills (at best) for building sucessful networks. I dare say social or otherwise?? Yes?

Old 02-22-2016, 06:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,395 times
I can't believe how rude some people are, places like this are a community way to get help from others who may of had prior experiences. If you feel you need to cyber bully someone come find me in person and see how tough your words are when I break your teeth out. To all those who gave a positive insight, on my behalf I thank you. Not only did you help the original post but me as well with the information provided. Have a great day all! Jimmy-Bones

Old 03-10-2016, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,316 times
I bought luminess air from taxes hey said you have to send it back in 1 month for you don't like it if you don't turn it back it will cost you 300 dollars I forgot to turn it back when they to pick 72 dollars from my credit card I was like who is picking my money from the credit card after 2 months I turned it back they did not received it they still picking my 72 dollars every month I don't know where it went

they said I need your tracking number and I lost my tracking for usps
I don't the tracking number
what should I do can
can anybody tell
me please

Old 03-13-2016, 01:05 AM

33,031 posts, read 23,716,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
You mean somebody uses the tracking numbers?

I buy and sell stuff online (mostly eBay). When sellers ship with tracking, the tracking number is usually linked to the item in my Buy list. So I check that tracking number more or less daily to follow its progress in order to know which day it will be delivered.

When I sell an item with tracking, I link the tracking number to the item and email the buyer. Then I email the buyer again when the item arrives at their post office so they can expect delivery.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,383 times
Dnt be discourraged by the perfectpeople on here who act like u threw something away on purpose or as if like how could u loose it. Some people get pissed about profanity when its just a form of expression and your fustration. Those people aint doing anything about profanity on tv or anywhere else in the world. And thats your story its not for others to pick apart and try to act like they are the police trying to catch u in somethjng. Some people act like they hold all the answers and u owe them something. So its 2017 and i agree..this is tough and i dnt have any answers .same thing happened to me is how i can across your posting. It gets me to thinking..I guess it doesnt matter if anyone did ship hazardous materials such as purfumes or whatever they ask.. Hell just dont put a return address on it and loose the receipt and no ody will find u. Haha since they have no record of it. Which i find hard to believe myself.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:17 PM

4,950 posts, read 2,073,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
You mean somebody uses the tracking numbers?
I'm ALWAYS on top of the tracking system when I am expecting a package. That's how I know for a fact that one of the Amazon Marketplace vendors I bought a book from 3 months ago never actually shipped it to me, because tracking said a shipping label had been created, but the package didn't actually get into UPS's system (and an email from UPS confirmed as much). 17 years buying from Amazon, and that was the first and only time a vendor ever tried to screw me over, and the online reviews show I'm not the only one who had that happen as a result of buying from that vendor.

I had the sale cancelled and a refund issued to me, and I ended up buying the book from another vendor.

Tracking also showed that a package was stolen from right off of my front stoop, which was where the carrier left it (in full view of everyone walking/driving by) instead of "brown carding" it so I could pick it up from the Post Office. Luckily, it was from a vendor I've been buying from for 7 years now, and they had insured it, so I did get a replacement at no cost to me (this was in 2013 - IIRC they now include insurance with Priority Shipping).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products