U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2014, 09:32 AM

341 posts, read 1,069,717 times

Advertisements

My dad shipped something with a tracking number and I told him to give me the receipt so I can track it. He gave it to my uncle who then placed it on my desk but I never seen it and was never told that he placed it on my desk. So it might have been thrown away, which would be too late to look for it now.

I called USPS and they said that I can call the post office I went to and give them all my information to get that tacking, every SINGLE TIME I CALL for the past few days it's a busy tone. I call another USPS and they said You CAN NOT get the tracking information ever again. So I'm freaking confused why one person says one thing and the other says differently. I call USPS customer service line and it's always a high volume wait call and it doesn't even give you an estimate.

WHY THE HELL does it always have a busy tone or high volume of wait call? This is so frustrating, we could lose $90 because of this lost tracking number.

The guy said he still hasn't received the returned item...it's been almost 2 weeks now! I'm afraid he might be lying just to keep the money. How long does it take for a package to get from OH to California???

I feel like there HAS to be a way to get that tracking number because it should be in the system!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 08:49 AM

18,856 posts, read 57,365,396 times
So YOU lost the number and you want to yell at the post office? Nice. Toddle on down to the post office in question and ask there. I doubt you will have much luck, but it is possible the tracking #s are sequential and you might be able to search from there, using a current number as a starting point.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:55 AM

20,419 posts, read 39,660,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle21689 View Post

This is so frustrating, we could lose $90 because of this lost tracking number.
Wow!
So you just throw away receipts that are placed on your desk? That is not the post office's problem, right?
Are you SURE your uncle put it there?
Are you even sure your dad mailed the package? If so, go in person to the PO and see what that think. Calling the main line is useless.

Next time, do it yourself; that would save plenty of frustration.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:05 AM

8,189 posts, read 13,684,810 times
You mean somebody uses the tracking numbers?

Old 07-29-2014, 10:07 PM

10,532 posts, read 14,022,645 times
Ask your dad if he paid cash or credit for the postage.

If he paid cash, take him to the post office. Ask nicely and politely to speak with the post master. Explain the problem and hopefully your dad can state the exact date and the approximate time, the zip code of the destination, type of service used, as well as which employee helped him. Based on all the information, they should be able to begin tracing the transactions and find yours.

If credit, the reference/transaction number can be used by the post office to identify the package. It's not an immediate process, so don't expect instant results.

If he used Click-n-ship, all he has to do is go online and check shipment history.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:58 AM

341 posts, read 1,069,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
So YOU lost the number and you want to yell at the post office? Nice. Toddle on down to the post office in question and ask there. I doubt you will have much luck, but it is possible the tracking #s are sequential and you might be able to search from there, using a current number as a starting point.
I never said I want to yell at the post office, Moderator cut: profanity removed

Also, it was my dad's RETURN ITEM, it wasn't my responsibility. Since he doesn't know enough about computers I was going to track it for him. Also, my uncle said he put something on my desk but I've never seen the receipt.

Jeez, I thought I could get some solutions here instead of being lectured or criticized.

Thank you to those that have offered solutions.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-12-2016 at 06:33 AM..

Old 07-30-2014, 10:30 PM

24,497 posts, read 36,818,956 times
The USPS has no official way to get you the tracking number. They don't keep track of the sender and receiver.

In the future, I suggest you exchange such information via smartphone immediately so there is no chance for it to get lost.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:12 AM

18,856 posts, read 57,365,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle21689 View Post
I never said I want to yell at the post office, ?

Also, it was my dad's RETURN ITEM, it wasn't my responsibility. Since he doesn't know enough about computers I was going to track it for him. Also, my uncle said he put something on my desk but I've never seen the receipt.

Jeez, I thought I could get some solutions here instead of being lectured or criticized.

Thank you to those that have offered solutions.
I call BS. Your first paragraph showed that YOU were taking responsibility. You then went on to say:

"WHY THE HELL does it always have a busy tone or high volume of wait call? This is so frustrating, we could lose $90 because of this lost tracking number."

When you are using profanity in your frustration with a person or the post office, even if you use it out of their earshot, it IS yelling at them. Behave like an adult and you might not get lectured or criticized.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-12-2016 at 06:33 AM..

Old 11-18-2014, 05:38 AM

1 posts, read 287,553 times
I had to reply to this - the OP came asking for some advice (which this forum is presumably based on), and instead of practical advice (with a few exceptions, giving polite and to-the-point advice, thanks btw!) and instead gets talked down to, given a lecture on morality and mocked. What exactly was your point in wasting the time of the OP, anyone who might view the forum post by search (#6 in google), and that of yourself.

Take some time off your high horse, these kind of posts only discourage use of this forum, and frankly, make it appear that you have little better to do that harass someone seeking help. Get a life.

Thanks again to those that took a minute to help rather than to harass, and to promote being nice to postal employees, they try their hardest with a very limited staff and budget. Being polite can only make your and the employees life easier.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:34 AM

926 posts, read 991,808 times
As for getting a copy of the tracking number... unfortunately, It's not likely they can get it for you.

I agree with the idea of using your smartphone.
Sometimes I forget that I can take a picture of almost anything, including a receipt with a tracking number.

I'm pretty confident in the post office lately, hopefully there isn't any issue with not having the number. I like all three of the delivery companies but I would put the PO slightly ahead of the other 2 (fedex, usps) for not breaking things and being on time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products